VOGONS

First post, by bushnrvn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why did the original Tandy 1000 (25-1000) have the option for a 256K ROM? The technical reference describes two ROM configurations. One with U9 populated on the motherboard for a 128K configuration , and another with a different resistor populated and U9 and U10 populated with ROM chips for a 256K configuration.

Here's a reference via the Radio Shack Hardware Manual: Tandy 1000 Computer Service Manual

I am having trouble finding what the extra 128K was used for, and perhaps that might answer the question of why there were two configs available at the time of purchase.

My goal is to clarify the statement made in this FAQ:

**** If you have the two-chip version of the original 1000 BIOS (version 01.00.00), you also need to upgrade the PAL chip when you upgrade the BIOS. The PAL chip goes in the socket labelled U9. The new one is part number MXP-0081. Tandy has been out of the PAL chips for a while. If you have this BIOS version, there are still ways to install a hard drive, but your options are more limited

Is this referring to the presence of the 256K configuration? Or, is there a revision of the original 25-1000 (not A/HD) logic board that does not have two ROM sockets, populated or otherwise? If the ROM is currently in U9, would it have to be put into U10, and the PAL put in its place?

The FAQ goes on to explain that Tandy provided a service where they would upgrade a PAL chip on the Memory Plus Expansion card to resolve a DMA issue:

Tandy once offered to take the Memory Plus expansion adapter back and replace the PAL chip (U14) to correct the problem. Tandy no longer sells either the BIOS upgrade or the PAL chip. If you have the old BIOS version, you can still have a hard drive, it just won't be bootable (you will have to boot from floppy).

Is there a second PAL chip, apart from the one mentioned above, needed to correct the DMA issue?

Is it not possible, in a system with only U9 populated with a 128K ROM to upgrade or modify the ROM to allow the installation of something like an XT to CF adapter?

Reply 1 of 8, by Jayeson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Answering this older thread since I think I have mostly figured it out.

Page 23 of the Tandy 1000 Service Manual (also page 21 of the Tandy 1000 Technical Reference Manual) lists the logic equations for U53 Memory Address Decode. I think this is the PAL chip that needs replacing in order to use a single 1.01 BIOS ROM chip in an early 1000 that came populated with two ROM chips. These two equations are of particular interest:

ROMSC0* = RFSH* & /MEMR* & 19 & 18 & 17 & 16 & 15 & 14 & 13
ROMSC1* = RFSH* & /MEMR* & 19 & 18 & 17 & 16 & 15 & 14 & /13

By my math, these decode to 8k ranges from FE000-FFFFF and FC000-FDFFF respectively. This is entirely consistent with the 16K BIOS being split across two 8K ROM chips, and needing a PAL update to use a single 16K ROM chip. Curiously, ROMSC1*/U10 is the low addresses and ROMSC0*/U9 the high.

As for the Service Manual describing two 32K banks covering a 64k address space from F0000 to FFFFF, I speculate as follows:

* The service manual refers to the revised decoding of the newer U53 PAL
* It does indeed decode into those two ranges. It seems possible from the schematic - all needed address lines are routed to the ROM sockets.
* When the stock 16K ROM is used, it aliases over the ranges F8000-FBFFF and FC000-FFFFF, with the code presumably running in the higher range.

As I said, this is speculation, I have no other data nor looked at real hardware to confirm. As to the question of why they would support such a large range, probably because they had the option to do it with just a PAL modification.

For folks with the two-chip 1.00 BIOS who would like to upgrade to 1.01, I suspect it is possible (and easier) to just burn the 1.01 BIOS across two 8K ROMS. Or, two larger ROMS with the data replicated across the ROM.

It would however be a fun little project to come up with a 16V8 GAL program to replace the old PAL.

Reply 2 of 8, by Jayeson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually... I looked at the U53 PAL logic and pin assignments. Tandy made use of functionality in the original PAL that a more modern GAL16v10 can not do. So no easy drop in replacement chip unfortunately.

Reply 3 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jayeson wrote on 2021-01-24, 03:58:

By my math, these decode to 8k ranges from FE000-FFFFF and FC000-FDFFF respectively. This is entirely consistent with the 16K BIOS being split across two 8K ROM chips, and needing a PAL update to use a single 16K ROM chip. Curiously, ROMSC1*/U10 is the low addresses and ROMSC0*/U9 the high.

For me, that's expected, but I also get why you are surprised by ROMCS0 addressing the high ROM.

A 8086-based system needs a ROM at FFFFF to be able to boot. So the BIOS in IBM compatible systems is aligned to the end of an address space. A system with a single 8 kilobyte ROM (like the original IBM PC and XT) will always have that ROM at FE000-FFFFF, so it makes a lot of sense to call a ROM at that addess the primary ROM (and assign ROMCS0 to it), and call the extra 8K at FC000-FDFFF an optional extension.

Reply 4 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jayeson wrote on 2021-01-24, 09:27:

Actually... I looked at the U53 PAL logic and pin assignments. Tandy made use of functionality in the original PAL that a more modern GAL16v10 can not do. So no easy drop in replacement chip unfortunately.

I was confused by this statement, as I supposed that the modern GAL devices were supposed to be a superset of the old PAL devices. The issue in this case is that Tandy used pin 9 as output on a 20-pin programmable logic chip. Today's standard programmable logic chips in DIP-20 have 8 outputs, on pins 12 to 19, whereas the old 82S153 used by tandy had ten output-capable pins, adding pin 9 and 11 as possible outputs. To make matters more complex, pin 9 uses 10 "product terms" to be combined. Modern GAL/PAL chips only allow 8 product terms for a single output pin.

There is one "modern" GAL in DIP-20 that has 10 outputs (including one on pin 9), the GAL18V10, but it has been discontinued in 2011 with no suitable replacement. And even this chip allows ten product terms only on pins 14 and 15. So indeed, there seems no possibility to use any currently available programmable chip as drop-in replacement for that 82S153 gate array. An GAL22V10 + interposer likely could do the job, though.

Reply 5 of 8, by Jayeson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also took it for granted that the 16v8 would work. In addition to what you raised, the 16v8 can't be configured with enough feedback pins to implement the equations as Tandy listed them. That could likely be worked around if it was the only issue.

I had the same thought that a 22v10 plus a small board was the best option. Unfortunately not as easy to apply versus just burning a readily available chip on an off the shelf programmer.

Reply 6 of 8, by Jayeson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was curious so I wrote up the logic for a 22v10. Works out pretty well actually, mostly 1:1 with the original pinout, just need to wire pin 14 to pin 9 and pin 12 to pin 10. That could be done with a couple of bodge wires on the chip itself after programming, then trimming back the overhanging pins. When my original 1000 arrives and if I have time, I will do some comparisons with the original logic to see if I have it right. I'm not sure I am reading the sense of the complemented inputs/outputs correctly. I am also not entirely sure Tandy's equations from the manual are 100% correct either, there was at least one typo.

https://github.com/JayesonLS/TandyProgrammabl … PalOriginal.pld

[Update]: It occurred to me that the equation for VSACC* should have had too many product terms for 22v10 pin 14, and WinCupl did indeed reduce it to 8 terms. This is because, unless I keep reading it incorrectly, there are two pairs of duplicate product terms in Tandy's published equations. This may be a transcribing error in the manuals and the real equations may need more product terms.

Reply 7 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jayeson wrote on 2021-01-26, 05:27:

I am also not entirely sure Tandy's equations from the manual are 100% correct either, there was at least one typo.

This is because, unless I keep reading it incorrectly, there are two pairs of duplicate product terms in Tandy's published equations. This may be a transcribing error in the manuals and the real equations may need more product terms.

To me, it seems the manual is imprecise, incomplete (by missing a whole product term) and simplified (by leaving off repeated "RFSH * !MEMR"), and it should read like this instead

VSACC*  = RFSH* * !MEMR* * !19 * !18 * !17 * !MC3 * !MC2 * !MC1
+ RFSH* * !MEMR* * !19 * !18 * 17 * !MC3 * !MC2 * MC1
+ RFSH* * !MEMR* * !19 * 18 * !17 * !MC3 * MC2 * !MC1
+ RFSH* * !MEMR* * !19 * 18 * 17 * !MC3 * MC2 * MC1
+ RFSH* * !MEMR* * 19 * !18 * !17 * MC3 * !MC2 * !MC1
+ RFSH* * !MEMW* * !19 * !18 * !17 * !MC3 * !MC2 * !MC1
+ RFSH* * !MEMW* * !19 * !18 * 17 * !MC3 * !MC2 * MC1
+ RFSH* * !MEMW* * !19 * 18 * !17 * !MC3 * MC2 * !MC1
+ RFSH* * !MEMW* * !19 * 18 * 17 * !MC3 * MC2 * MC1
+ RFSH* * !MEMW* * 19 * !18 * !17 * MC3 * !MC2 * !MC1
+ HGMEMAC*

Yeah, that's right. 11 product terms. The 82S153 can dynamically assign any product term to one or multiple outputs, whereas modern GAL/PAL chips have dedicated product terms per output, with a limit of 8 or 10 product terms per output. On the 22V10, you should be able to assign !MEMR + !MEMW to an ununsed pin and feed that back into the VSACC equation.

The idea of the equation is that VSACC is to be asserted if the 128K on-board memory is addressed. This is the case if either the B800-BFFF range is accessed (HGMEMAC), or A19/A18/A17 (the 128K page) match MC3/MC2/MC1 (the MEMMAP bits from the system configuration register). This should only happen if either "memory read" or "memory write" is active, but "refresh" is inactive. Refreshing of the 128K is performed by video scanout and need not be performed using (ISA) refresh cycles. Refreshing of the whole video memory even is text mode where only a single page is scanned out is achieved by mapping the RAM chips in a column-major layout: Subsequent addresses are mapped to the same column in different rows (whereas the conventional mapping, which also enables fast page mode on more modern systems, map subsequent addresses to different columns in the same row). This means that after scanning out 256 columns of video, all rows have been accessed and refreshed.

Reply 8 of 8, by Jayeson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting info mkarcher.

According to the 22v10 datasheets, they have more product terms on the inner output pins, up to 16. Unfortunately the top and bottom outputs have only 8. Those pins are more convenient since it would allow for a fairly clean solution without an intermediate board. Also, seems that that the still-in-production Atmel/Microchip 22v10s can not be programmed with the common budget programmers. Needing a board and using dodgy remarked Xilinx chips sounds a bit less fun.

I am hoping my early Tandy 1000 comes with the older PAL and two ROM chips. I would like to confirm whether or not burning the 1.01 BIOS across two 8K ROMs works.