VOGONS

My P3 Retro DOS PC

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 103, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Audigy works by itself, but sound quality isn't great, mods sound distorted, but most games and other apps work fine with it on this PC. Of course, no sound in Real Mode since it needs a Protected Mode TSR.
The YMF744 also works by itself, has authentic OPL3, fantastic sound quality, but most apps and games crash with it on this PC. It also needs a Protected Mode TSR, but does play FM in Real Mode.

If I don't initialize the other card, I don't have any conflicts. Was hoping to use just the OPL3 and gameport of YMF744 along with the Audigy, but looks like that is not possible. Also surprised that I can't take the Line Out from one card and feed it to the Line In of the other. Oh, well. I will just use the Audigy and switch to the YMF744 only when I want to listen to some sweet FM music.

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50

Reply 102 of 103, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
betamax80 wrote on 2021-07-10, 18:26:

I see the seller still has stock 07/2021: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284366749455?hash= … AQAAOSwsXFZNFY-

Yep, that's the same seller I bought my YMF744 from . While the card was pristine, I never could get DDMA or DSDMA to work with my motherboard. I guess you need a SB-Link header or PC-PCI for it to work. So no digital sound, but great FM OPL3 sound with no drivers required in DOS. I ended up pairing it with the integrated SBPro for digital sound, and an AWE64 for the AWESYNTH. Very clean output, so I have the other cards connected to the line-in of the YMF744. Never tested it in Win98, but I'm quite sure everything including the digital sound and even the MIDI softsynth would work perfectly there.

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50

Reply 103 of 103, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm...

Your issues with ymf744 seem's like the one's i had when there wasn't an reserved PCI INTA# IRQ and no free IRQs were available so sharing had occured. So the sound blaster emulation becomes unstable unless you use ymfirq to change the IRQ to the sound card's. With SB-LINK; you don't have to worry about this because you can use an dedicated IRQ in the form of serialized ISA Interrupt ("S-IRQ" in the SB-LINK connection)

Even if setupds initializer shows evidence to support the native PCI interrupt sharing scheme "as hinted in ds.ini file". the actual emulation from the sound card doesn't seem to be stable at all, even when using different DMA emulation methods. Aka SB-LINK, DDMA and DSDMA. As far dsdma is concern, only dos apps with DMPI protected interfaces don't seem to work with the dsdma TSR. But then again the root of your problem could be something else entirely.