VOGONS

First post, by Mouldotron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good evening all

Writing to you from my new(ish) Pentium 2 machine.

It's a duel CPU, 450mhz machine with 256mb ram. It's running the multi-processor edition of XP with Opera version 20.

It's actually quite nice to use, although a little slower than the 24 core Xeon sat next to it.

Anyway, apparently, if I've understood it correctly, the Pentium 2 was capable of having up to 16 processors in one system. Is anyone aware of anyone ever making such a beast? I don't think I've ever known a Pentium 2 with 4 processors, let alone 16!

Reply 2 of 9, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have never heard of a sixteen CPU Pentium II system. Do you have a source on that number?
Maybe a special chipset would make that possible but afaik one bus can only be shared by two Pentium II CPUs because of the amount of bus request lines.

Reply 3 of 9, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe someone like cray or something upgraded Pentium pro super computers with Pentium II overdrives. But I don't recall anyone ever making 16 CPU Pentium IIs or even xeons for that matter.

There was the ALR 6x6 that you probably could of upgraded to 6 overdrives.

Mostly the higher end consumer stuff was like quad PIII Xeons at that time.

Reply 4 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's probably one of those theoretically possibilities that no one ever put into practice. Intel never realised a Slot 1 chipset that supported more then 2 CPU's
maybe one of the larger server motherboard manufactures like Supermicro or Tyan or OEM's like Compaq produced their own chipset but I doubt it.

Quad Slot 2 servers were more common Compaq ProLiant 6000 been one example. I'm not sure if anyone made 6 way or higher though (I haven't really researched either)

Reply 7 of 9, by Mouldotron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahhh ok, thanks everybody. Yes I've never heard of a Pii system with more than two CPU's, I just read (I think Wikipedia) that they increased the maximum number of cpu's in one system from four (Pentium Pro) to sixteen. But that doesn't mean that Wikipedia is accurate or any manufacturers ever produced any. Most I think I ever saw was an Itanium with 16 CPU's in filing-cabinet sized cases.

I did own a four way Pentium Pro 200mhz once. Gave it away. Regret it now. I do have a four way Xeon (4x6 cores), which is itself over 10 years old now. It's full of Teslas and Quardo's running Folding At Home.

Just got my Voodoo3 running in this duel Pentium ii, enjoying 1280x1024 in 32 bit colour. It's a nice system, I'm enjoying using it.

Reply 8 of 9, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
evasive wrote on 2021-03-24, 13:08:

Compaq Proliant 8000/8500, Dell PowerEdge 8450, IBM NetFinity 8500, maybe others, have up to 8 Pentium III Xeon CPUs. That seems to have been the limit.

Also the HP NetServer LXr 8500

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 9 of 9, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-03-24, 10:29:

Btw. are Deschutes Pentium IIs capable of caching more than 512MB of RAM? Klamath PIIs supposedly aren't.
Edit: nvm found the info: Deschutes can apparently cache up to 4GiB of RAM.

Afaik, there's both a 266 and a 333 Deschutes, that only caches 512MiB. The actual difference is made by the Tag RAM, which is either T6 or TP6-e.

On the other hand, I don't know that any Klamath caches more than 512MiB

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀