VOGONS

Tiny Vortex86-based DOS gaming PC - weeCee

Topic actions

Reply 420 of 425, by NachtRave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sofakng wrote on 2022-06-06, 19:59:
Does anybody have any ideas on how to add a real OPL2/OPL3 chip to this box? […]
Show full quote

Does anybody have any ideas on how to add a real OPL2/OPL3 chip to this box?

For example, there is an OPL2LPT adapter that outputs OPL2 over a parallel port that can maybe be exposed on the weeCee?

Any other ideas?

I know the Crystal chip onboard supports an OPL2 clone but I'm wondering if we can have authentic sound as well?

I believe the Crystal chip has both OPL2 for Adlib and OPL3 clone for the main FM synth. I believe if you look closer on the Serdashop S2 you can find docs on how to load up custom instrument sets and use them. I've never done that specifically before but have heard of it being done. Additionally there are other wavetable synth boards from Serdashop that you can try, such as the X2GS (which requires you take the aluminum shell off ofc), but yeah.

Reply 421 of 425, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The parallel port OPL has compatibility issues. But it would be possible to add an OPL in the normal way by disabling the crystal chip's emulation and adding a real OPL2 (plus supporting circuitry) to the weecee's circuit board.

I'm not interested in doing it though, the crystal emulation is good enough for me.

Reply 422 of 425, by NachtRave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just an update on the side, I have enough for 5 more units I can build - just now waiting on the SoMs to be built and shipped out. Have everything else, otherwise. Some minor changes in components due to, again, chip shortages, but nothing major. The EEPROM IC I wound up getting was the international version, but appears to function in the same way as the original one in the BOM. This version I also got some nice momentary push switches to act as a reset button and power LED, and have a way to rewire the power to support such. They also come with really nice nuts to conceal the single shiny layer of conductor pad that shows after you drill out a section on the front plate.

I haven't started assembling them, still need to sort out the individual components, but have everything otherwise. These units should be serial number NR7 to NR11.

Reply 423 of 425, by Nikita Lita

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Does anybody have any ideas on how to add a real OPL2/OPL3 chip to this box? […]
Show full quote

For example, there is an OPL2LPT adapter that outputs OPL2 over a parallel port that can maybe be exposed on the weeCee?

Any other ideas?

I know the Crystal chip onboard supports an OPL2 clone but I'm wondering if we can have authentic sound as well?

This is the same crystal chip as on the Orpheus, and the Orpheus has a real OPL3 on it. Ask keropi?

Reply 424 of 425, by NachtRave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I finally got the next batch of SoMs in the mail. I swore I ordered 5, but meh, got 4, I’ll check later to see if I have one on back order. I’m pretty sure I have everything I need now for a second run, including the nicer push buttons (with nice o-rings and such) for a reset button that doubles as a power LED. I also have to go through the components and figure out which ones go where, just mainly need to mark them down.

Attached are pics.

Attachments