VOGONS

Reply 560 of 908, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-10-29, 14:51:

If the SOM304RD-VI is anything like the SOM-128-EX, it probably has some sort of small eeprom chip soldered on the carrying board. If you've got a programmer with a sop/soic clip attachment, it's possible to do a recovery programming of the original BIOS (save it first, of course) without lifting the chip. I've done this on the SOM-128-EX lots of times when messing up my BIOS.

Oh. I dunno where I got the idea that the BIOS was internal.

There does appear to be an external eeprom on my board...

Reply 561 of 908, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@rasteri @eivind

It's possible the IDE controller has it's BIOS bundled inside the main BIOS, I know UEFI does this and I'd know how to identify and replace it if this were UEFI, but I'm not sure with an old school AMIBIOS.

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 563 of 908, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@kizuo

I think @rasteri can help you with that, it's his design.

@fluxrez

That yellow exclamation mark on your "Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller" is the error Code 10? or something else?

Reply 564 of 908, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@rasteri

When you have the chance, please check if an actual IDE drive exibits the same behavior as the SD card slot?

In your weecee part 1 video - try selecting "Parallel IDE"for Primary IDE pin select - seems counter intuitive but you never know maybe it'll work?

Reply 565 of 908, by Paul_V

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-10-29, 14:51:
rasteri wrote on 2022-10-28, 15:17:
Duffman wrote on 2022-10-28, 15:11:

@rasteri

Would you be willing to risk trying to flash an ITE BIOS onto the IDE controller on the SOM? Like with a hardware EEPROM writer?

Re: Requesting BIOS files for ITE IT8212F ATAPI/RAID Controller

The BIOS on the Vortex86 is internal to the chip, so no chance of recovery if it goes wrong...

If the SOM304RD-VI is anything like the SOM-128-EX, it probably has some sort of small eeprom chip soldered on the carrying board. If you've got a programmer with a sop/soic clip attachment, it's possible to do a recovery programming of the original BIOS (save it first, of course) without lifting the chip. I've done this on the SOM-128-EX lots of times when messing up my BIOS.

Indeed, Vortex86dx SOCs have internal spi flash bios chip. The external spi flash, if present, is used as a bootable emulated floppy device.
There is a way to disable SPI and boot from external ISA EEPROM.
There also may be a way to boot from external SPI via chip select hardware strap, but I've not seen any manufacturer actually do that.
Neither did DMP, quote: "About SPI Flash support for Vortex86DX. Yes, only 8-bit is supported, and almost none of Vortex86DX board manufacture design/use external SPI flash on their board, all of them use the internal SPI for BIOS."

Flashing IDE controller seems troublesome. The controller is integrated into the SOC, no hardware access there for the programmer. IDK if it's even from ITE

Duffman wrote on 2022-10-29, 19:51:

It's possible the IDE controller has it's BIOS bundled inside the main BIOS, I know UEFI does this and I'd know how to identify and replace it if this were UEFI, but I'm not sure with an old school AMIBIOS.

None that I know of. It does have VGA\LAN roms and some boards have rom for the SPI flash disk to work
DMP uses AMIBIOS8. I also own some boards with AWARD bios, which give conflicts for DOS EMS with USB in upper memory.
I may try to install 98 on them both to check if there's any difference.

Attachments

• spi.PNG
    Filename
    spi.PNG
    File size
    29.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • bios.png
    Filename
    bios.png
    File size
    26.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 566 of 908, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@rasteri @Nachtrave

I saw something in the Unofficial Service Pack 3 - maybe try it?

98SP3_DMAPATCH.png
Filename
98SP3_DMAPATCH.png
File size
108.75 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 567 of 908, by NachtRave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A lot of stuff from the unofficial service packs seem to conflict with the weeCee, so my advice with it is to tread carefully. I found that they typically made things worse, at least on the weeCee. I haven’t tried that exact DMA thing, but I suspect it to cause instability.

Anyways, you all are gonna make me make more of these aren’t you?

Attachments

Reply 568 of 908, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NachtRave wrote on 2022-11-03, 18:13:

I haven’t tried that exact DMA thing, but I suspect it to cause instability.

With a file system that is already not natively supported by a Win9x driver, you can bet that that won't provide any benefit. Furthermore, if you look at what I mentioned a few pages ago, the RDC controller has a bug that is reported to cause file system corruption when DMA modes are used; that is objectively even worse than a file system that relies on compatibility mode. You have been warned, so keep a backup or use an expendable installation before experimenting. Feel free to try it anyway, but the best thing you can hope for is that it won't work at all.

Reply 569 of 908, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@640K!Enough

The WeeCee does have a later revision of the RDC IDE Controller (RDC 1011) so it's possible the newer revision does not have the DMA bug, I'm not sure how to check for this though.

Reply 570 of 908, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Duffman wrote on 2022-11-04, 23:36:

it's possible the newer revision does not have the DMA bug, I'm not sure how to check for this though.

The discussions I've seen were about the D1011. Anyhow, testing your hypothesis should be fairly simple: get a Linux distribution that will allow you to use the older ITE driver with DMA enabled. Run that for a while, performing many disk operations, and see if you don't start to get errors in the system logs or file system corruption. Not seeing any won't provide definitive proof that it cannot happen, but if you do run into problems (which I suspect is likely), you will know the answer once and for all.

Reply 571 of 908, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kizuo wrote on 2022-10-28, 01:07:
1 - Where do I buy a SOM for cheap? Here in the US direct from icop-shop it's 200 - ish bucks, and that doesn't include shippin […]
Show full quote

1 - Where do I buy a SOM for cheap? Here in the US direct from icop-shop it's 200 - ish bucks, and that doesn't include shipping. Shipping is more than 80 bucks, and you can pay 375 for first class! I'm not spending 350 bucks on just the SOM.

2 - Does the SOM come with that metal thing, and is that metal thing required? icop-shop shows it without it. Worried that it won't come with it and that it won't fit.

3 - How do I get the connectors for the PCB from icop-shop? Do they come with it? I can't find any place to buy them because I don't know the name.

4 - How hard is it to solder the components? I've only done some through-hole soldering and a practice board with some solder pads for surface mount. But I'm a little worried that it is going to be hard.

5 - Anything else I ned to know?

Sorry I missed this.

1. I got mine from datasound labs in the UK, given how weak the pound is just now you might be able to get a deal there

2. Yes

3. Yes get the connectors from the same place you bought the SoM, they're hard to find anywhere else

4. The crystal chip is probably the hardest. This is not a good project for someone doing a QFP chip for the first time, but maybe a local hackerspace group could help you out? I do have a guide on one of my other videos but it doesn't go into much detail - https://youtu.be/JjtfPExJrIE?t=708

5. Not really

Reply 572 of 908, by NachtRave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2022-11-05, 12:04:
Sorry I missed this. […]
Show full quote
Kizuo wrote on 2022-10-28, 01:07:
1 - Where do I buy a SOM for cheap? Here in the US direct from icop-shop it's 200 - ish bucks, and that doesn't include shippin […]
Show full quote

1 - Where do I buy a SOM for cheap? Here in the US direct from icop-shop it's 200 - ish bucks, and that doesn't include shipping. Shipping is more than 80 bucks, and you can pay 375 for first class! I'm not spending 350 bucks on just the SOM.

2 - Does the SOM come with that metal thing, and is that metal thing required? icop-shop shows it without it. Worried that it won't come with it and that it won't fit.

3 - How do I get the connectors for the PCB from icop-shop? Do they come with it? I can't find any place to buy them because I don't know the name.

4 - How hard is it to solder the components? I've only done some through-hole soldering and a practice board with some solder pads for surface mount. But I'm a little worried that it is going to be hard.

5 - Anything else I ned to know?

Sorry I missed this.

1. I got mine from datasound labs in the UK, given how weak the pound is just now you might be able to get a deal there

2. Yes

3. Yes get the connectors from the same place you bought the SoM, they're hard to find anywhere else

4. The crystal chip is probably the hardest. This is not a good project for someone doing a QFP chip for the first time, but maybe a local hackerspace group could help you out? I do have a guide on one of my other videos but it doesn't go into much detail - https://youtu.be/JjtfPExJrIE?t=708

5. Not really

I'll add my $0.02 here, too.

1. Yes, the SOM is super expensive. Probably the most expensive part of the board. I recently just got the WDL Systems order approved for the VINE1 version (w/o SST Nand Flash) but had to go through their invoicing request system. Very nice and all, but turns out WDL *can* provide the correct SOM, otherwise all they have on their website is the VIBE1 version, which you have to disable the resistor as mentioned higher up in the thread.

VINE1 from WDL came out to invoiced at 201$ per unit (not including shipping). Yes shipping is where they get you - this is why I've been buying in bulk when I do order, to try and save on shipping costs.

2. It comes with it and you can easily remove it with the 4 screws on the back. I have several pictures I've posted higher in the thread that show it with the case. It even has two heat transfer pads internal to the Vortex86DX and the XGI Volari. I additionally install another heat pad between the SOM and the aluminum body for additional cooling (not that it necessarily needs it but the SOM can get pretty warm, esp when ran continually at 800 MHz).

3. You will want to get the dev mating connectors. 4x. They are 4$ a piece. They are very heat sensitive so be very careful with keeping your iron too long on any one leg, as it will start to melt the plastic body really fast. Do not solder it with a heat gun unless you want to singe the heck out of it.

4. I would rate soldering the Crystal chip at intermediate to advanced experience level. You absolutely will want to have some sort of prior experience. While the 1206 and top mount components are fairly easy, the 0603 components are very tiny and require a very delicate touch. If you have not worked with soldering small chips and SMD components, I highly suggest you try your luck on a trainer board for a bit until you get your skills down. Definitely not a beginner level soldering project. I personally do all the SMD work with a heat gun and solder paste, which makes SMD work a lot more forgiving.

Aside from the Crystal chip and the 0603 components, the rest of the board is actually pretty easy to solder. The SOM headers can be tedious, but I find a wide chisel head can help a lot with getting the solder blobs around. Be careful not to drag your iron on the board though, as it will scratch up the finish. As always, use lots of flux.

5. Initializing the Crystal chip, after everything is soldered, may require a bit of work. I recommend the BIOS image that 640k!isEnough! provided earlier in this thread, the one that Muon mentioned worked for him. That image seems to have given me the best luck, but it does put the MPU401 IRQ at IRQ 9, which may cause you to have to edit some game config files to get it over to 9 (lots of game setups only go up to IRQ 7 for some reason).

Also, I recommend you test every pin on your Crystal chip for cold solders (as well as the SOM headers). If you can push on it with a exacto blade and it moves, it ain't soldered and won't work properly. I recommend a microscope if you have it, otherwise a good magnifying glass. I use a cheap microscope that does the job but makes checking the pins of the Crystal chip a million times easier.

Reply 573 of 908, by fluxrez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Duffman wrote on 2022-10-30, 02:40:

@fluxrez

That yellow exclamation mark on your "Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller" is the error Code 10? or something else?

No, its code 15. "The device is causing a resource conflict."

Reply 574 of 908, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@fluxrez

Oh that's a different issue!
Can you check under the resources tab to check which device(s) it's conflicting with?

Reply 575 of 908, by fluxrez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Duffman wrote on 2022-11-07, 00:48:

@fluxrez

Oh that's a different issue!
Can you check under the resources tab to check which device(s) it's conflicting with?

Ethernet adapter? and the non "dual" controller

if you want to chat in real time at all, feel free to join my discord. I must say, im pretty useless during the week with work and school. but weekends are always me playing with my old PC hardware 😀
Anyone is welcome to join to talk about weecee or related topics.

https://discord.gg/cfCxhSA6

Attachments

Reply 576 of 908, by NachtRave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nothing like a big Mouser box full of weeCee parts waiting to be assembled. :3

Attachments

Reply 577 of 908, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Nachtrave

ooooh~ nice!

Reply 578 of 908, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@rasteri @nachtrave

Have either of you tried rloew's 1TB patch?

there are a bunch of thing it fixes according to it's HISTORY.TXT
https://rloewelectronics.com/distribute/TBPLU … LUS/HISTORY.TXT

things like -

IO.SYS updated for INT 2136 Large Cluster Fix
Corrected Interrupt Handling when performing BIOS Scan.
Corrected bad Port Mask in I/O Trace Routine.

Maybe it might resolve our IDE issue?

https://rloewelectronics.com/distribute/TBPLUS/3.0/

run INSTALL.BAT

Reply 579 of 908, by Mu0n

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Duffman wrote on 2022-11-08, 08:50:
@rasteri @nachtrave […]
Show full quote

@rasteri @nachtrave

Have either of you tried rloew's 1TB patch?

there are a bunch of thing it fixes according to it's HISTORY.TXT
https://rloewelectronics.com/distribute/TBPLU … LUS/HISTORY.TXT

things like -

IO.SYS updated for INT 2136 Large Cluster Fix
Corrected Interrupt Handling when performing BIOS Scan.
Corrected bad Port Mask in I/O Trace Routine.

Maybe it might resolve our IDE issue?

https://rloewelectronics.com/distribute/TBPLUS/3.0/

run INSTALL.BAT

I was willing to try this out, but problems are plaguing me currently.

On Weecee#2 at work:
-Win98SE boots to a black screen right before the login dialog (can see the win98se splash screen, but nothing after)

On Weecee#1 at home:
-It can boot in safe mode, but then drivers such as this don't operate
-today I could boot in normal mode but it was instant-reset whenever I tried to do something "substantial" like open the Explorer file manager
-After installing the patch it just auto-reboots after the splash screen, before the login dialog

I think I need to start fresh. Anyone have a microSD backed up image with a fresh install of win98se that I can wipe over my 32 gb microSD card?

1Bit Fever Dreams: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9YYXWX1SxBhh1YB-feIPPw
DOS Fever Dreams: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIUn0Dp6PM8DBTF-5g0nvcw