First post, by Scandy
I'd like some advice on the choice of components for my new retro-pc.
The goal is to mainly play DOS games like Crystal Caves, Monster Bash, Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3-D, Hexen etc. up to, at most, a few CD titles from the first Windows era (The Curse of Monkey Island would be the most recent). As OS I would therefore use Windows 98 SE on an ASUS P2BF mainboard with a Pentium II 400 Mhz and 512 Mb RAM.
I have the following audio cards:
- Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 (CT4520 - ISA, not Gold)
- Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (SB0060 - PCI)
- ESS Audiodrive ES1868 (ISA)
And the following video cards:
- S3 Trio 64V + (PCI)
- S3 TRIO 3D / 2 (AGP)
- Creative 3D Blaster Banshee (CT6750 - AGP)
- Nvidia Riva TNT 2 M-64 (AGP)
(I exclude my Matrox G400 due to scrolling problems in early DOS games).
Which setup would you recommend ?
THE NIGHTLAND is my board + video game for Commodore 64.