VOGONS

First post, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love 90's gaming and my Pentium 233 MMX build pretty much covers everything up to '97 but I wanted something for those later games from 1998/1999. So let's get building! 😀

Part 1: THE CASE
We'll start with the case. I've owned this ATX case for 20 years and up until 2019 it housed my main rig. It's made by ELLE and calls itself the 'New Millenium Computer System', which is perfect for this build!

VesBdy7.jpg

It has taken a beating over the years with lots of scratches, dents and bit of the paint missing. High time to respray this into something new!

xRMoXpQ.jpgHJnMJpY.jpg

After sanding with P600 and applying the primer, it is time to pick to colour? Back to black? Meh. Beige or white? Not in 1999! Happy colours? This ain't no iMac! No, if I want to be BOLD, I'll have to go with GOLD!

x23zEiR.jpg

Part 2: THE BOARD
Time to put the case back together and fill it with hardware! For the mainboard I'm going with this Jetway J-7BXAN. It has the great Intel 440BX chipset and I'll fill the SLOT1 with an Intel Pentium II 450. The board supports up to 133 Mhz FSB but that would be too much for this PII to handle. Luckely there is also a 112 Mhz option, which boosts the CPU to a whoppin' 502 Mhz.

L0PeNPA.jpg

To be utterly redicilous enough, the build must have more RAM than Mhz. The 3 slots can be maxed out to 768 Mb but as I'm planning to install Windows 98 SE, I'd better stick to these 2 sticks of 256mb each. 512mb is still redicilous enough!

sqEkNjX.jpg

I'll be using this 235 Watt PSU by ADT. I've replaced the internal fan with a new 80mm Noctua fan to greatly reduce the noise levels.

W5IBo9z.jpg

And here is the progress so far:

bbSB7iP.jpg

Part 3: THE BAYS
In the 3.5" bay I'll insert this Mitsumi 1,44mb FDD.

iAh9H0P.jpg

As generic as that FDD is, the more redicilous this thing is:

NUYsycd.jpg

Meet the Termaltake Hardcano 9 5,25" fan controller! That front design just screams rebellion and the backside is a cable management hell. But the dials work and the internal temperature is shown correctly on the front display, so it does what it has to do. And, as this is the early 2000's, all fan connections are molex. I had to mod a few cables to connect my fans:

kmLPI5o.jpg

I will not fill the bays with conventional HDDs but go for the Compact Flash solution instead. This 32GB card plugs straight into the IDE header!

uCUkiCg.jpg

Part 4: THE CARDS
Time to plug in some expansion cards, starting with the videocard:

SmgHFCv.jpg?1

This is a Voodoo 3 2000 AGP. It'll run those early 3DFX titles with nice framerates for sure! A very sensible choice for this build and it also does 2D very well.

6G6JJxL.jpg

We'll balance out that sensible video card with this overkill of a soundcard: The Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS! It supports surround sound up to 7.1 systems and has EAX, which will be great for some late 90's titles!

aKop3eT.jpg?1

As simple but reliable networking solution can be found with this 3COM 3C595TX.

p9tYCYt.jpg?1

And as I might play the occasional DOS game (the Audigy's support for that isn't great), I'll add this Creative Soundblaster 16 CT2810 in the mix. The jumpers on the card help to configure it easily. To make it all a little more baller, I'll plug this NEC XR385 into the wavetable header. It's basicly a Yamaha DB50XG, which will give me some great MIDI music!

OBwdO5c.jpg

Time to put it all together and do some sort of cable management:

K64Ckea.jpg

Part 5: THE PERIPHERALS

9LojZ0W.jpg

I'll want to make use of that Audigy 2 ZS's surround option, so I've got this Creative DTT2200 5.1 speaker set. The speakers were made by Cambridge Soundworks and sound quite nice for their size.
The monitor I'm using is a Philips 107S 17" CRT. It'll do 1024 x 768 up to 85 Hz and 1280 x 1024 in 60 Hz. Probably the best thing is that Philips didn't use ABS plastic so it will not yellow over time.

4ElMijd.jpg

What did yellow terribly is the Azona KB810 multimedia keyboard but it has that great late 90's aesthetic and functionality. Who doesn't need a 'WWW' and a 'DOS' button? And no PC is complete without the standard Microsoft ball mouse, although mine has a scroll wheel!

Part 6: THE RESULT
It took some time installing Windows, drivers and setting up the configuration, but there she is in all her golden glory!

TomfFcI.jpg

I've been testing some of the games I wanted to play and I must say that I'm very pleased with the performance. Especially the sound really blew me away. Being able to hear enemies behind you in Half-Life, enhanced by the EAX sound effects really gave me the chance to experience the game like it was meant to be played back then. And it only took me 22 years to realise my dream build! I'll be on the look out for more games of that era using surround sound and/or EAX extensions, so if you have any recommendations, let me know!

I hope you've enjoyed my build log. The only thing that is currenty missing is a CD(R)-drive. I do have a few options but they do not really match the gold/silver theme. So I'm either going to repaint some generic drive or find a silver or black drive that will do well. Stay tuned for that update!

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 1 of 18, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice build! Perhaps you're golden with the Philips PCRW1208 (and a few other models like PCRW2010) that might match the silver front. There are also NEC Optiarc's out there with a silver front which might be a tad or two darker in color.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 3 of 18, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice. I'm still looking for a suiting case for my build. My 5ali61 with and k6-2+@500 MHz is unhappy in a case from ca 2005. That and a voodoo card but they are both equally stupidly expensive in my area.

Reply 6 of 18, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the nice comments! 😀

mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-05-08, 17:40:

Nice build! Cute little monitor.

It's a 17" CRT and is almost as high as the case itself, although the photo angle makes it seem smaller.

I've also managed to find a proper solution for the CDROM unit. I took this pretty generic looking drive I had laying around and reprayed it with metallic silver and gold paint.

pklAE1n.jpg

XAeVlea.jpg

For the smaller bits I used gold and silver markers, such as the 40x lettering and the headphones\volume icons.

And here's what it looks like in the case 😀

PFfGpp8.jpg

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 9 of 18, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-05-11, 20:49:

I was thinking you should get one of those old 4x Philips cd writers in gold and black but that's also cool. I agree nice job.

Thandor suggested a few of them in his post above but I wasn't able to find one locally for a reasonable price. And a CDROM drive is quite the must in such a system, so I didn't want to wait for weeks/months to finally source one. So the spraycan was the quick and easy solution.

Rummaging around my parts bin I found another small upgrade for the machine.

h1v18Fl.jpg

The Audigy ZS 2 has a header for a game/midi port connector, so why not make use of that? As you can see, I took off the USB part of the bracket, since this motherboard doesn't have a USB header. Seems a bit strange for that era.. but it has 2 USB connections in the I/O so that's good enough for me.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 10 of 18, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally got around to doing the most important part after building a retro PC: tune it and put it through some benchmarks!

Before I'll try any overclocking, I'm adding a 40mm fan to my Voodoo 3 2000. The heatsink is glued on and doesn't have any fan connectors or inserts, so you'd need to take off the entire heatsink and replace it with a new unit. Or, you can get creative and mount the fan to the heatsink with a few wires. The wires go below the heatsink (next to the glued thermal pad) and through the mounting holes of the fan. The fan is really light so it'll hang in there pretty well. If you do this, be sure not to let the wires touch any of the components around the heatsink.

kIZJjcH.jpg

For the Benchmarks I'm using Quake II (v 3.20 with glminidrv 1.49, @ 1024x768, high details, demo1.dm2), Unreal (Gold Edition, 800x600, high details, castle flyby demo) and 3DMark 99 MAX (800x600, default settings). Quake II and Unreal both had high quality sound on while running.

Settings #1: Stock (100 Mhz FSB, 450 Mhz & Voodoo 3 @ 143 Mhz)
- Quake II : 67,7 FPS
- Unreal: 59,0 FPS
- 3DMarks: 3310
- CPUMarks: 4283

Settings #2: CPU Overclock (112 Mhz FSB, 502 Mhz & Voodoo 3 @ 143 Mhz)
- Quake II : 67,9 FPS
- Unreal: 62,8 FPS
- 3DMarks: 3762
- CPUMarks: 4914

Settings #3: CPU & GPU Overclock (112 Mhz FSB, 502 Mhz & Voodoo 3 @ 166 Mhz)
- Quake II : 79,2 FPS
- Unreal: 66,7 FPS
- 3DMarks: 3796
- CPUMarks: 4998

The PC runs stable with acceptable temps with setting #3. I'm happy I was able to push my V3 2000 all the way to the stock speed of a V3 3000. Going up to 175 Mhz started giving me errors and artifacts, so I think 166 Mhz is a fair point to settle on. It seems Quake II benefits the most from the extra boost to the videocard, but adding extra power to the CPU did next to nothing. It gives Unreal some extra frames but 3Dmark99 benefits most from this CPU boost. I find 3dMark99 to be a bit unstable when it comes to results. It's mostly best to take the average out of 3 or 5 runs to get a good feeling for the impact of the overclock.

Anyway, pretty happy with the system in it's current state! If anyone has any suggestions for upgrades or got some games I should try (especially with surround sound and EAX!) let me know!

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 13 of 18, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-05-13, 19:24:

Thanks for that list! I've also found this list with games that feature surround sound:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_gam … _surround_sound

Also this:
https://satsun.org/audio/

I'm very eager to try Conflict Freespace. It's one of my favourite games and it also does EAX.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 15 of 18, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-05-16, 04:09:

That is a fun game and would be a nice test for EAX.

It certainly is!

TaCl58e.jpg

Hooked up my old QuickShot joystick there from 1990. I used to play Freespace with keyboard only so it's been tricky trying to adapt to joystick controls but it's adding to the immersion. The 3d audio with EAX effects is fantastic! You can hear enemy ships buzzing around you or that lock on sound behind you when the supply ship docks to your vessel. Just awesome.

I read that Operation Flashpoint (from 2001) also featured 3d sound so I gave that a shot but my PC only barely makes the minimal requirements. It's only somewhat playable on the lowest resolution with absolutely all details to very low or off. Going from a kick-ass system in 1999 to COMPLETELY OBSOLETE within 2 years isn't something I miss about retro gaming 🤣.

I'd best stick to something =<2000 if I want to have an enjoyable experience. If anyone has some more titles to suggest, I'm all ears 😀

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 17 of 18, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just as a small issue I've found with the mobo (I also have the 7BXAN, not sure about the revision, think it's a 2.1?) - should you ever want to go Win2000 at any point, ACPI support is pretty buggy or even nonexistent.

At least mine will act like an AT machine under 2000, and ATX under 9x/ME - 2000 will actually show the "It's now safe to turn off the computer" while 9x/ME shutdown normally.

I am not sure what causes this - either the BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant, or the ACPI side is broken.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 18 of 18, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2021-05-29, 06:50:

Just as a small issue I've found with the mobo (I also have the 7BXAN, not sure about the revision, think it's a 2.1?) - should you ever want to go Win2000 at any point, ACPI support is pretty buggy or even nonexistent.

At least mine will act like an AT machine under 2000, and ATX under 9x/ME - 2000 will actually show the "It's now safe to turn off the computer" while 9x/ME shutdown normally.

I am not sure what causes this - either the BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant, or the ACPI side is broken.

I have not experienced that myself, but I've never used Win2000 before. As 1998/1999 is the target for this build, putting Win2000 on it seems a bit strange. If I were to build an early 2000's build, Win XP would be my OS of choice. But as you mentioned, Win98 SE is just fine when it comes to ATX shut down.

The board seems to be ACPI compliant as the manual suggests:

• ACPI supporting for OS Directed Power Management. Ring-ln Wake up: When Ring-In the system can wake up from SMI Mode. Ring […]
Show full quote

• ACPI supporting for OS Directed Power Management.
Ring-ln Wake up: When Ring-In the system can wake up from SMI Mode.
Ring-ln Power On: When Ring-In the system can power on automatic by this function.
RTC Power On: Enabled RTC Power On function, you can setting RTC alarm to power on the system at the time length you setting.
Power Button: Press the button will place the system power on/off.
CPU fan auto-stopping when in suspend mode.
Support Software Power Off function.

Maybe the Win2000 implementation is somewhat different or incompatible. This would be very suprising, though.

I've attached the manual for those interested. I recall this was tricky to come by.

Attachments

• Filename
    J7BXAN.DOC
    File size
    2.96 MiB
    Downloads
    68 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Visit my YT Channel!