VOGONS

First post, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi folks,

Been turning up some parts lately that lead me to ideas about putting together a super XT... AT BX board, tualatin, slotket, done! ... just kidding... no an XT class system with all the goodies I can cram into it.

What I've found for it so far...

ATi Mach8 Graphics Ultra, with the 8514 emulation mode.
Seagate ST-05 8 bit SCSI card.
NEC V20
SB Pro

What I'm fairly sure I've got somewhere...

Clone 5160 motherboard... very similar to the eye to a late 5160, high density RAM i think, very socketed.
101 key XT/AT switchable keyboard
floppy card.
serial card
mono card with parallel
300MB SCSI drive
Floppy drives... everything but 2.88
8 bit NIC
SCSI CDROM... which I had a hate on, not sure if it was just because it wouldn't read linux CDs or boot from, it sorta worked, just not what I wanted it to work for last time I played with it, might be fine for a DOS system.

What I saw once upon a time, but so long ago I don't know if I kept it, or was just something I was looking at I don't own...

Multi function RAM floppy serial card.
High density floppy card.
EMS card
Microsoft Bus Mouse.

Stuff I might have to build or buy

https://github.com/reesclissold/pc-sprint
Mouse protocol converter
Memory expansion
ESP8266 wifi serial modem

You'll notice some duplication there, and probably too many cards, I'll be seeing what can be found, what plays nice, where features can be doubled up or rationalised. If I find the bus mouse for example, the ATi has a port for it, and I'll only want one serial port. Want a comms port as well as a tether for the mouses leash. So mainly expecting to run off the spinning rust. Might have bigger SCSI somewhere, but 300MB seems acres for an XT, most progs worth running you can get half a dozen to a floppy. Also think that SCSI will be plenty fast for it. Another thing with the SCSI I think I saw a 16 bit card that had settable IRQ, maybe for 8 bit mode, so it might get that one, because it also had floppy. Case... got a clone XT case that looks like a clone XT case, 5160 style from the front but actually has a flip up hinged lid... at least maybe, might be getting my cAsEs confused... Then also I say I think it's HD RAM on the board, but that designation has lodged in my brain without remembering whether that meant 384kB 512kB or a whole 640kB on the board... so relative essentialness of RAM boards may vary. I am kind of hoping to go dual monitor, VGA and mono. Because I'm a monster, I pulled some of the cards out of a 5155 years back, and tossed them in the same boxes I expect to find the other 8 bit stuff, so it might be kind of a dual build, making sure I'm not robbing the 5155 of bits that belong to it, and doing a semi-rebuild of that.

What's going on it, a classic DOS or a useful DOS? Wellll I'd prefer useful I think, I like 6.22, wondering if I should take a risk with PC DOS 2000 or something on this one, or whether that would break windows 3 or other things. Games... some of those... games are fun... mind always goes blank.. shovel load all the games. CP/M... maybe not "on" it, that might be bootable floppies.. not sure yet.

So this is what's simmering on the back burner so far, probably going to be a later in the year build rather than very soon...

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1 of 16, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something like Anonymous Cowards one? https://sites.google.com/site/misterzeropage/

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, that's great, aiming for something pretty similar. Good tips about the HD floppy... maybe that will work with that 16 bit SCSI/Floppy that I think has an 8 bit mode, but not sure it's BIOS is HD floppy bios too or only HDD BIOS.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is an ST-05? I've never heard of that one before. ST-05X is an XTA hdd controller.
Whatever you have, I hope it's better than an ST-01 or ST-02. Those are a pain in the arse.

I heard some of the Future Domain 16-bit SCSI controllers can work in 8-bit mode, but I never confirmed this.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, it's not an 05, but a lowly 02, guess I got numbers scrambled when trying to remember several part numbers at once.

Recent finds... 300MB internal SCSI HDD, which approaches infinitely large as far as an XT is concerned when software came 360k at a time. External SCSI CD ROM drives, 2 different, they looked like cased internals so one of them might get put inside, or I might pile one on top, see what the aesthetics look like. And a bus mouse turned up, Logitech, but I'm reading here https://www.oldmouse.com/miscellanea/mousebus.shtml that they were cross compatible, though elsewhere saw that you had to use the driver according to the mouse in use, and need an ATI util to enable port on Mach 8.

Still kind of back burnered on low simmer, playing at PIII era at the moment.

Reply 5 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seagate st01/02 doesn’t have an ASPI driver, so I don’t think it’s possible to use a scsi CD-ROM drive with your card.

Reply 6 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Really? Huh, I thought they had a non-bootable card with the same chip sold specifically as a CD-ROM card, with RCA jack audio breakouts.

Reply 7 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That could be. Do you have a photo of that kit? I looked for quite a few years and never found the driver.

Reply 8 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was a card I had wayyy back in the day and don't have any more, this is a pic I found of one that most closely matches the pic in my head, which isn't very clear...

IMG_0256.jpg

Which we notice is a future domain not an ST, though I thought adaptec might have been a possibility too.

Reply 9 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Future Domain has ASPI drivers, so CD-ROM drive will work.
The Seagate cards apparently licensed the Future Domain chips for their ST-01/02, but there was a customisation made to the silicon swapping two bits around which made them incompatible with Future Domain software. I heard talk it might be possible to patch the drivers, but nothing ever came of it.

Reply 10 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Riiight, that's maybe what made me think "same chip" some linux driver discussion in the 90s when I was thinking of using it in a linux box. Funnily enough what killed that adventure was not the crappiness of the card, but the discovery that the external CD ROM drive I picked up for what should have struck me as "suspiciously" cheap, was actually a Mitsumi external and not a SCSI.

Reply 11 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just snarfed some 8 bit goodies Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today so been thinking about this again. Got two Vid cards to choose from now I guess with that PVGA1A rolling in. Mach8 might have more stones but the Paradise might have more custom period stuff to play with. Then the Voyetra OP-4001 card opens up MIDI. The UMC floppy card there has for sure 1.44MB support on XT, no wondering how much system BIOS help you need.

In between times (damn 2 years) I discovered I had the right XT 8 Bit IDE hard drives to replicate a hard card, though I'm not sure if that will go better in the 5155. Oh yah, grabbed some SCSI bits a couple of months back, cable and adapters which may help the cause.

Possibilities stacking up a bit much here, I'm gonna end up needing an expansion chassis 🤣 I do maybe have a riser I could abuse to get 10 slots.

Lemme think, 1 vid, 2 for drives, 2 sound, 1 EMS, 1 NIC, 1 par/ser ... that's if the board takes a full 640 or a bit more, otherwise I'm out. If the NIC takes an XTIDE BIOS with floppy support, then maybe 16 bit i/o card in there with floppy, par, 2 ser. Though I'm reading some other places that other 8 bit SCSI don't "do" CDROMs either, but definition of working is hard to nail down if it's ppl who are unaware that booting CD was not a ubiquitous feature until late 90s. No ASPI is pretty clear nogo.

Reply 12 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I have the same PVGA1A card. I've only ever tested it to see if it worked (it does).
Is there anything special about it? I've been using VGA Wonders for years, and never had an issue with them.
The way I see it, if you want to play crappy CGA games then just get a CGA card.

Reply 14 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2023-05-29, 14:23:

I think I have the same PVGA1A card. I've only ever tested it to see if it worked (it does).
Is there anything special about it? I've been using VGA Wonders for years, and never had an issue with them.
The way I see it, if you want to play crappy CGA games then just get a CGA card.

There was a couple apps, games and demo known that had special Paradise mode 800x600x16, but I think they have been patched to work on other cards now so no longer unique.

Reply 15 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FrankieKat wrote on 2023-05-31, 19:48:

Oooh yeah - Super XT 2023! Settled on the motherboard yet? Thought about hot-rodding with an open-source XT BIOS (GLaBIOS, etc)?

2025 maybe, I move at speeds that make glaciers look sporty 🤣 Yah, still got a box of motherboards unfound, think it's at back of a double stack somewhere.

Reply 16 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

XT board located in less than ideal circumstances (shed collapse) Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread. maybe means this project is ON this winter after mucho board restoration.