Rank

Is this a good idea?

Motherboard: MSI 661FM3-V socket 775 SiS661FX / SiS964
CPU: Celeron D 351 Single Core Non-HT 3.2GHz
GPU: FX 5500 128MB AGP8x
RAM: 512MB DDR PC3200, may upgrade to 2GB later
HDD: 120GB SATA (set to IDE compatibility mode in BIOS) 7200RPM
PSU: GIGABYTE GP-P450B 450W ATX 12V v2.31 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
Sound Card #1: AOPEN AW744L II - Yamaha XG YMF744 YMF724 OPL3 (For FM in DOS and XG in Windows)
Sound Card #2: Sound Blaster Live! CT-4780 (For Wavetable/GM in DOS and EAX in Windows)

I'll decide on the disc and floppy drivers later, but I think this is a good start.

Last edited by retroboy87 on 2021-05-25, 15:36. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PCI soundcards can be tricky in DOS, depending on the drivers and setup options. I do not have much experience with the soundcards you've mentioned since I mosly stick with ISA cards in DOS.

The SB live seems to do pretty well in DOS:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/sound-blaster-live.html

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 2 of 4, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

undoubtedly you'll run into problems but it might kinda work if you don't have resource conflicts. I'm not sure if those can be solved.

One problem about the live/audigy vxd drivers is they dont allow you to manually change resources in the device manager.

The XG VXDs do but I don't think the XG is better than the live unless you have PCI/PCI as there are a lot of problems with the driver implementation without PCI/PCI or DDMA it doesn't work right in dos box with some games like duke 3d and tyrian for example.

XG is good I guess in pure dos becasue the TSR lets you use OPL3 in dos but no midi.

Reply 3 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had a similar setup in the past.
Win98 will work happily with 2 sound cards just set the card you want to use as the primary device.
Dos I had 2 "exit to dos" shortcuts on my desktop, one for the Creative and other for the Yamaha.

I seem to remember the Creative drivers were fighting something and it was just easier to have 2 configurations and reboot then work out how to get everyone to play nice.

Reply 4 of 4, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

generally the midi works really well on the XG windows dos box with VXDs without pci/pci its the opl part that some games don't like becasue some games hang or crash when you try to configure OPL from XG

Not every game likes the live drivers either..