VOGONS

Some of my retro computer builds

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 62, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Czeky wrote on 2022-08-14, 19:15:
Unfortunately, I dont have that machine anymore, the board died from who knows what, and now it doesnt want to start up anymore, […]
Show full quote
drosse1meyer wrote on 2022-07-10, 01:27:

Nice collection that you're growing there. Got any benchmarks on that Socket7/Voodoo1 build?

Unfortunately, I dont have that machine anymore, the board died from who knows what, and now it doesnt want to start up anymore, even tried an AT power supply, same thing, no power.

So I've decided to build an actual GOOD socket 7 machine. I don't have many parts yet, but I've got a motherboard recently that works perfectly, and has enough things for my needs.
It's a Zida Tomato TX98-3D, a pretty small Baby AT motherboard, and is pretty capable from what I've read and saw on Ultimate Retro.
alaplap.jpg
It came with a Cyrix MII 300GP, but I wont be using that given how weak the FPU is in Cyrix CPU's, and ordered an AMD k6-2 333mhz from ebay.

The 486 PC is coming together nicely, got a pretty interesting board which has fake cache, its a little bummer, but I know someone who can replace it with legit cache chips, because it is soldered onto the board.
20220706_164259.jpg
I also got a controller card, but it seems like the card has an issue with reading the floppy disk, when it starts reading it, it hangs up the whole system, not even ctrl alt delete does anything, only the reset button and power switch has effect on it. And I know that the floppy drives are working fine, i've tested them before.
Thankfully at least it reads the HDD fine, so i was able to test DOOM on it, and it runs nicely, the turbo button also works really nicely! 😀
20220719_212256.jpg
I'm pretty glad that the 486 PC is already at a working state, albeit without a 100% working controller card, but nothing is perfect. Still, going to look out for an VLB controller card, might make a change for the better.

Also i'm not really that heavy on benchmarks yet, but I'd like to change this in the future.

Also, big sorry for the late answer, I dont really look up to this site often, so apologies for that.

Cool. Thats a neat case

I'm also working on acquiring parts for a 486 - VLB build. Will post when its done. Hopefully with a few surprises that work out as planned.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 61 of 62, by Czeky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm back again after a big hiatus!
The 486 machine is under hold right now, the motherboard was not happy with reading the floppies, and couldn't figure out why, tried a bunch of controller cards, no change, so until I find another VLB board...
I'll tell you all about how my Socket 7 machine turned out in the end! 😁

The base was the Zida Tomato TX98-3D board, a Baby AT(?) board that is VERY small, probably the smallest AT board I've ever seen.

motherboard.jpg
Filename
motherboard.jpg
File size
550.29 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The CPU is an AMD K6-2 333mhz processor, plenty of performance, and the board supports it.

cpu.jpg
Filename
cpu.jpg
File size
299.33 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

For 2D card I chose an S3 Virge DX, the 2D on it is solid, while the 3D is more of an afterthought than a feature.

s3.jpg
Filename
s3.jpg
File size
522.56 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And no S7 machine would be complete with a Voodoo2! 😁
Yes, this is the same V2 that was in my Compaq machine. I actually wanted to use a V1, but I just couldn't get it to work properly, it always gave me a single color screen, and no response, that is until I decided to test it in the Compaq, and there it worked like a charm, so I decided to swap the two cards.

v2.jpg
Filename
v2.jpg
File size
658.03 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The Sound card is an SB32, with AWE32 synth on it. No particular reason, I just think it's a neat card, and OG OPL compability. 😀
This is also where the CD Drive connects to be able to play some sweet sweet CD Audio.

sb.jpg
Filename
sb.jpg
File size
687.95 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

So you think it's really good, yeah? You should try making the bloody thing up; it's a real pain in the arse.

I'm no American.

Reply 62 of 62, by Czeky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also got a new old stock CPU fan from Coolink. That'll keep the CPU cool. And since the board has no fan header, I needed to get a molex adapter to power it.

coolink.jpg
Filename
coolink.jpg
File size
265.22 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And last, but not least is the case, which is an AT case, without Turbo display or button! That's something you dont see every day.
And...

open.jpg
Filename
open.jpg
File size
130.88 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
close.jpg
Filename
close.jpg
File size
107.97 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It has a sliding door, this is just prime 90's. 😁
Geekenspiel stickers soon...

After getting Win95 up and running, I've ran into a bunch of Blue Screens while copying files, and after replacing 2x64mb to 1x32mb RAM, the issue went away.
Also, I couldn't get the serial port on the board working, will look into that later, but for now I've got a PCI serial card that does it's job fine.

io.jpg
Filename
io.jpg
File size
602.71 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And here's the inside of the machine:

inside.jpg
Filename
inside.jpg
File size
814.71 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Not the best cable management job, but it'll do for now. 😀

Hope you all enjoy it! Benchmarks later (if I dont forget it 🤪).

So you think it's really good, yeah? You should try making the bloody thing up; it's a real pain in the arse.

I'm no American.