VOGONS

First post, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Meaning to post this for a while but only just got it all together.

Target build is an early-2000s Pentium III (!!!) machine with reasonably accurate hw thats decently spec'd. The time was ripe as I had accumulated a collection of parts from other projects, random fleabay purchases, etc.

It was mostly plug and play aside from a problematic PSU. Minor work needed for the old case, just a little clean up and retrobrighted some of the front panel. It was missing two 5 1/4 bay covers and had no I/O shields, luckily some how I had the correct shield in my parts box. More on the missing drive covers later. There was also a lack of a GPU fan but that was taken care of with a small one from a 3D printer, which fit perfectly.

I know a lot of people don't like them but I think the SD-IDE adapters work pretty well in retro builds. So I went back to the well and installed Win XP on a 32 gb sdcard. Boot time is pretty good, the OS is very responsive and apps load quickly. Win98 may be a little bit faster overall but XP could equally have been used with such a build and its stable. (I ran Win2k on my p733 back then until XP came about.)

Regarding drivers, I stuck mostly with XP SP3 defaults, so benchmarks could perhaps be better. I may play around with nvidia drivers a bit after watching Phil's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRhm4aGNI3o).

As for the name 'Orangina' - everything on this PC has an orange LED (unintentionally) - both CD drives, power and activity LEDs, and even an orange glow emits from the vents in the side panel (the SD-IDE LED's are super bright). Very cool 😁

Here are the results along with some benchmarks. Please reply with comments, questions, ideas, benchmark requests, etc.

Enjoy 😀

The parts:

• 815 based board - modeled off Intel D815EEA - gateway OEM (was not aware of this when purchasing)
  • Intel P3 1 Ghz @100 mhz PSL5QV
  • Geforce 2 GTS Pro 64 MB (AGP)
  • ESS 1938S
  • 384MB RAM (3 x 128mb)
  • Random optical drives
  • SD-IDE adapter (32 gb card)

Benchmarks (1024x768 32bpp without tweaks):
Quake2 - 183 FPS
Quake3 - 93 FPS
Unreal - 50 FPS (opening flyby, game mostly plays > 60fps)
+See attached CPU/memory benchmarks

The cons:
Not a D815EEA2 and thus no Tualatin support
CPU/RAM is 100 FSB
On board USB is v1.1

Attachments

• IMG_0188.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0188.JPG
    File size
    1.29 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_0191.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0191.JPG
    File size
    1.96 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0190.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0190.JPG
    File size
    1.81 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0192.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0192.JPG
    File size
    1.94 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0201.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0201.JPG
    File size
    825.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by drosse1meyer on 2021-09-01, 11:58. Edited 1 time in total.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 1 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a nice rig 😀
I like the Intel D815EEA. Used 2 in 2 builds of mine even though one of those 2 boards seemed to have a dead FDC connector (was like that when I first tested it but decided to use it anyway).

your case won't provide much airflow though so you better have a PSU that provided the necessary airflow or yout system may start becoming quite hot after having run for a longer while. part from the virtually non-existent cooling of your case, your case is really quite fitting with the era of the rest of your components 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a very similar case. Is yours from AOpen as well?

Very nice build BTW! Excellent performance, especially for that time period. Would have been a great machine for Quake3 and UT back in the day.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 8, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2021-08-31, 18:05:

That's a nice rig 😀
I like the Intel D815EEA. Used 2 in 2 builds of mine even though one of those 2 boards seemed to have a dead FDC connector (was like that when I first tested it but decided to use it anyway).

your case won't provide much airflow though so you better have a PSU that provided the necessary airflow or yout system may start becoming quite hot after having run for a longer while. part from the virtually non-existent cooling of your case, your case is really quite fitting with the era of the rest of your components 😜

Thank you!

Yeah the psu has dual fans, but I may add something else in the future. There's not much in terms of vents in the front, so my only option is a small fan on the back (see pics of the rear)

Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-08-31, 18:10:

I have a very similar case. Is yours from AOpen as well?

Very nice build BTW! Excellent performance, especially for that time period. Would have been a great machine for Quake3 and UT back in the day.

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes it's an Aopen case! It was missing too many bay covers and I didn't want to fill it out with three cd drives, so I made a 'faux' drive bay cover from a busted dvd drive. Does the trick. Maybe we should start a 'retro life hacks' thread.

Attachments

• IMG_0194.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0194.JPG
    File size
    704.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0207.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0207.JPG
    File size
    1.43 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • cpubench.jpg
    Filename
    cpubench.jpg
    File size
    72.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • membench.jpg
    Filename
    membench.jpg
    File size
    76.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • cpubench2.jpg
    Filename
    cpubench2.jpg
    File size
    68.67 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 8, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
drosse1meyer wrote on 2021-08-31, 17:52:

As for the name 'Orangina' - everything on this PC has an orange LED (unintentionally) - both CD drives, power and activity LEDs, and even an orange glow emits from the vents in the side panel (the SD-IDE LED's are super bright). Very cool 😁

We need night time pictures to see! 😁

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 5 of 8, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The cons: Not a D815EEA2 and thus no Tualatin support CPU/RAM is 100 FSB On board USB is v1.1 […]
Show full quote

The cons:
CPU/RAM is 100 FSB
On board USB is v1.1

they are only cons if you encounter software which is at the performance limit and suffers for it a little, from the stats it looks very good for the era.

USB 1.1 is slow compared to later versions but unless you are transferring 100's mb it's ok, and even if you are then provided its an occasional thing it's ok too, time it so as to make a coffee while it does its thing 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-09-02, 09:12:

Ask and ye shall receive 😀 My phones camera sucks but you get the idea, looks better irl

gerry wrote on 2021-09-02, 15:02:
The cons: Not a D815EEA2 and thus no Tualatin support CPU/RAM is 100 FSB On board USB is v1.1 […]
Show full quote

The cons:
CPU/RAM is 100 FSB
On board USB is v1.1

they are only cons if you encounter software which is at the performance limit and suffers for it a little, from the stats it looks very good for the era.

USB 1.1 is slow compared to later versions but unless you are transferring 100's mb it's ok, and even if you are then provided its an occasional thing it's ok too, time it so as to make a coffee while it does its thing 😀

True, I only noted the USB slowness because all my nics were in use and was too lazy to swap one out... so was using sneakernet for a short time 🤣... could always remedy with a PCI card i suppose

Attachments

• IMG_1048.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1048.jpg
    File size
    285.09 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 7 of 8, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
drosse1meyer wrote on 2021-09-03, 01:21:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-09-02, 09:12:

Ask and ye shall receive 😀 My phones camera sucks but you get the idea, looks better irl

Nice glow!

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 8 of 8, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice that you made something worth with that Gateway motherboard. 😁

It would be more interesting to have that side panel with a window so that orange glow would be more visible. 😀

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS