VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Wilczek_h wrote on 2021-09-07, 09:08:

@dr__st: thank you 😀. You can still get a nice consumer Socket 7 board as well as SDRAMs dirt cheap. With a P200 MMX CPU you would have a lot of options, you could build a very nice DOS gaming machine, or if you like experimenting, you could build a retro server, experiment with other OSs of its time. Or, maybe you would like to push it to its limits and see what the latest software is that it can handle, etc. I think you would have fun once you get into building it 😉.

Oh, I still have my Super Socket 7 with AMD K6/2+ CPU @500MHz and a Voodoo 3000 AGP. It's running Windows 98 SE and I enjoy it from time to time to play DOS / early Windows games. I feel it's not at 100% as it does lock up occasionally in Windows, but it gets the job done. 😀

At one point a long time ago, I had that P200 MMX in a secondary machine and I hoped to play DOS multiplayer games between the two systems. However, I never had friends sufficiently into retro gaming to play with, and when the other machine stopped working, I got rid of it just kept the CPU...

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 21 of 29, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I look at this thread and smile knowingly. This is where the journey starts my friend, not where it ends. Prepare your wallet.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22 of 29, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2021-09-07, 14:00:

I look at this thread and smile knowingly. This is where the journey starts my friend, not where it ends. Prepare your wallet.

I agree with you, 100% 😀))

Reply 23 of 29, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I may ask: why did not you just build another computer with the K6-2+ CPU and also keep the P1 machine? 😀

The main reason was to be able to select the CPU multiplier on the fly (the multiplier selector on the motherboard are DIP switches and I don't like opening the computer too often for this) while at the same time not having any of the headaches that are usually found on non-Intel chipsets (I don't even like the SS7 motherboards 🤣). My motherboard also has the option to use 50 MHz FSB with the "Turbo" button, giving me a lot of flexibility when dealing with speed sensitive games and allowing me to play some late games at 640x400 or 640x480 resolutions and 1998+ Windows games with less bottleneck.

I still have another Socket 7 motherboard with an Intel chipset there for the P233MMX CPU without the 75MHz FSB option but I don't need to have many old machines. They're still decent for slowing down when using the TR12 registers with SetMul and having the cache disabled.

Btw., did you experience issues with some software when you used a 75MHz FSB speed?

I didn't experience any issues with it, except that I have to use RAM memory (random crashes if it doesn't like that frequency) and video card (palette corruption on DOS games) that can tolerate this. I'm also using a slightly modern 7200RPM IDE HDD unlike most of here that uses a CF card. 😉

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 24 of 29, by raist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Wilczek_h,

I saw that in your build there is an Elsa Winner 3000L VGA card.

Since I have such a card myself, but without a bios, I would have a huge request to you: could you provide the BIOS batch of this card? For example, ripped using NSSI, or in some programmer?

Thanks in advance for reply 😀

Reply 25 of 29, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That setup should be able to run windows 7. If you feel like going crazy with it 🤣.

Btw,
Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Tillamook? 😀

Tillamook 266MHz and working L2 cache?

But alas, I see it has already been discussed.

As for your new k6-2+ there is now a way to mod them into 3+ chips. 😀. Though I suggest you use a 570 2+ as they are cheap and have a higher success rate.

SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 26 of 29, by Wilczek_h

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
raist wrote on 2022-06-04, 12:09:

I saw that in your build there is an Elsa Winner 3000L VGA card.

Since I have such a card myself, but without a bios, I would have a huge request to you: could you provide the BIOS batch of this card? For example, ripped using NSSI, or in some programmer?

Hi raist,

I have dumped the Elsa Winner 3000-L BIOS for you.
You can grab it from here: Elsa Winner 3000-L BIOS ROM.

Best regards,
Zoltan (Wilczek)

Reply 29 of 29, by raist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Zoltan!

I just checked a BIOS from you. Yes, it works! 😁

I treated this file like a BIN file, programmed the EPROM chip with it and it worked! : D There was no need to do any interleaving during programming, it was enough to just write the EPROM.

Thanks once again 😀