VOGONS

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, all! It's been a while since I shared a build here. I wanted to show this one off because it has some interesting quirks and features.

spV4dWIm.jpg 9CpOVbdm.jpg

I call this my Dimension 4650. It's a Dimension 4700 case with Dimension 4600 guts. My work periodically collects obsolete hardware for e-recycling and lets employees take what they want before it goes out. That's where this machine came from, though I suspect it originated at someone's home. (The recycling company charges a flat rate, so we're encouraged to bring in e-waste from home too.)

When I first saw the system (it was a true blue Dimension 4700 then), I thought: Sweet, a compact Pentium 4 box! This will be great for AGP gaming. Then I learned it had a PCI-e slot. Well, that works too I guess... Then I learned it had a LGA 775 motherboard that can only take Netburst CPUs. Welp, that sucks. Then I found it had bad caps and was ready to throw it right back on the recycling pile.

I really liked the case, though, so I started researching the feasibility of a motherboard swap. I went on eBay and found that motherboards from the similar-looking Dimension 4600 were easy to source. This is a Socket 478 board with an AGP slot, exactly what I was originally hoping for. Dimension 4600 motherboards actually were - and remain - some of the cheapest AGP motherboards available. There were rumors the board could be dropped into a Dimension 4700 case and Just Work™, so I decided to give it a shot.

It works! But, it required some surgery. The front panel connectors fit, but the Dimension 4600 and 4700 mount their CPU coolers differently, so the case had a metal protrusion behind the motherboard that didn't line up. To solve this, I simply used tin snips to remove the metal protrusion. I reused a standard Socket 478 mounting bracket and a Rosewill RCX-Z200 cooler from a previous project and took care of CPU cooling that way. The same earlier project provided a Pentium 4 3.4 HT, the fastest CPU the Dimension 4600 motherboard supports, and faster than the Pentium 4 HT 530J the system came with.

sH9sBBKm.jpg q6RtZwIm.jpg

One really neat thing about the Dimension 4600/4700 is that they use standard ATX power supplies. If you've ever tried to upgrade a Dell, you know how rare this is for them. My system's previous owner had replaced the original PSU with a Sparkle ATX-350PN. I kept using it and haven't had any issues, but it's nice to be able to swap in a beefier PSU for more power-hungry video cards.

It's been a year or so since I used this system. Most recently, it was running beautifully with a Radeon 9600 Pro under Windows XP. Nice and fast and totally stable. I have lots more AGP cards that would feel at home in this build, so it's much more useful to me than a vanilla Dimension 4700 would have been.

Some other miscellaneous things I did:

1) Ordered a floppy drive mounting bracket, part number 1T909, and installed a floppy drive salvaged from a Dimension 8300. It works and enhances the retro curb appeal 😁

2) Replaced the stock case fan with a Noctua NF-B9 redux-1600. Nice and quiet. It fits in the original housing but connects directly to the PSU. The motherboard complained loudly about not having a fan connected and held up the POST with a "press F1 to continue" prompt. Not cool, but I found I could suppress this by disabling keyboard error reporting in the BIOS.

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got a Dell p4 case in a very similar style. Unused at present because it's only almost mATX, by eyeball it's mATX, by trying to get anything into it, it isn't, there's not enough room between where the ps/2 connectors sit and the PSU, it's an annoyingly small amount like 3mm or something. Eventually I'll come across a board that will cram in there I guess. Or I'll hack a TFX supply into it to MAKE room dammit 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hate that case, it felt so cheap and found it annoying to work on.
I have it's big brother a dual 604 socket Dell Precision 650. Case still gives off that same cheap feel yet its overengineered once you start working on it.

One thing I'll say for the case though is it's a good representation of the era. Every 2nd person seemed to own one.

XP makes the most sense but this has the makings for overkill Win98 build if you wanted to dual boot

Reply 4 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Parts like that it's $5 the part and $3 for each year they stored it until you wanted it. Best plan is to keep an eye out for functional or not motherboards on eBay that are still screwed down to it, then you maybe get it for $10 and a motherboard for spares. It's a very long term waiting game though otherwise, there's probably very very little availability, and very very little demand. High demand the price can be in the hundreds and it will sell and pull others out of the woodwork to sell, while it's down around $50 and nobody is buying, then obviously demand won't support a price worth listing them so they go on the scrap steel pile. Options for getting it "done" in short timeframe, are really; buy whole case, mod another tray to fit, pay $50.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.