VOGONS

TinyLlama (Vortex86EX SBC)

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 661, by vanfanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Eivind: I have decided to build my own board, as I want to learn how to properly solder SMD components, etc, and this is a great opportunity to build something VERY rewarding in the end!
It's the first time I try something like this, so I may have some basic questions... hope you don't mind 😀

I have seen you have this ready-to-go zip on github: https://github.com/eivindbohler/tinyllama/blo … lama_rev1.1.zip

Is that ZIP what I should send to PCBWay for fabrication? That ZIP is for direct-to-PCBWay sending?

Last edited by vanfanel on 2022-10-19, 13:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 81 of 661, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vanfanel wrote on 2022-10-19, 12:45:
@Eivind: I have decided to order my own board, as I want to learn how to properly solder SMD components, etc, and this is a grea […]
Show full quote

@Eivind: I have decided to order my own board, as I want to learn how to properly solder SMD components, etc, and this is a great opportunity to build something VERY rewarding in the end!
It's the first time I try something like this, so I may have some basic questions... hope you don't mind 😀

I have seen you have this ready-to-go zip on github: https://github.com/eivindbohler/tinyllama/blo … lama_rev1.1.zip

Is that ZIP what I should send to PCBWay for fabrication? That ZIP is for direct-to-PCBWay sending?

Yes, it is. I don't know if you're at all familiar with PCB design/KiCad, but you have an opportunity there to address a small error in my design, if you look at the errata file on github; https://github.com/eivindbohler/tinyllama/blo … /main/ERRATA.md
It's not a big deal, just some very dimly lit LED's for RS232 TX/RX activity that should be completely off.

Also, as mentioned in the BOM document - double check availability of all components before ordering the PCB. If you have to substitute parts, you might have to make changes to the design.

Edit: Actually I have no idea of PCBWay's requirements, I've only ever used JLCPCB. 😁

The LlamaBlaster sound card
ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 82 of 661, by vanfanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-10-19, 12:54:
Yes, it is. I don't know if you're at all familiar with PCB design/KiCad, but you have an opportunity there to address a small e […]
Show full quote
vanfanel wrote on 2022-10-19, 12:45:
@Eivind: I have decided to order my own board, as I want to learn how to properly solder SMD components, etc, and this is a grea […]
Show full quote

@Eivind: I have decided to order my own board, as I want to learn how to properly solder SMD components, etc, and this is a great opportunity to build something VERY rewarding in the end!

Yes, it is. I don't know if you're at all familiar with PCB design/KiCad, but you have an opportunity there to address a small error in my design, if you look at the errata file on github; https://github.com/eivindbohler/tinyllama/blo … /main/ERRATA.md
It's not a big deal, just some very dimly lit LED's for RS232 TX/RX activity that should be completely off.

Also, as mentioned in the BOM document - double check availability of all components before ordering the PCB. If you have to substitute parts, you might have to make changes to the design.

Edit: Actually I have no idea of PCBWay's requirements, I've only ever used JLCPCB. 😁

Sadly not, zero experience with PCB design, I am just a hobby coder by now. I would gladly improve the design if I knew how, but I fear it would require me to study electronics to begin with 😁

I will start ordering the most critical parts (SOC, VGA) then the rest.

I read in the Wiki (assembly) that you recommend a Soldering Iron with interchangeable tips + "Hot air rework station" for SMD components.
So I take Hot air rework station is for SMD components, and Soldering Iron for thru-hole components.

Will any Soldering Iron with interchangeable tips from Amazon do? Same for Hot air rework station: maybe you can recommend well-working brands and models like yours, etc

Reply 83 of 661, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vanfanel wrote on 2022-10-19, 13:49:
Sadly not, zero experience with PCB design, I am just a hobby coder by now. I would gladly improve the design if I knew how, but […]
Show full quote

Sadly not, zero experience with PCB design, I am just a hobby coder by now. I would gladly improve the design if I knew how, but I fear it would require me to study electronics to begin with 😁

I will start ordering the most critical parts (SOC, VGA) then the rest.

I read in the Wiki (assembly) that you recommend a Soldering Iron with interchangeable tips + "Hot air rework station" for SMD components.
So I take Hot air rework station is for SMD components, and Soldering Iron for thru-hole components.

Will any Soldering Iron with interchangeable tips from Amazon do? Same for Hot air rework station: maybe you can recommend well-working brands and models like yours, etc

I generally tend to avoid doing a ton of SMD soldering of really small components if I can, and rather pay JLC a little extra to have them do as many "jellybean" parts as possible.
The 1.1 board is also designed for this - with smaller pads for the parts that's reflow soldered by JLC and slightly larger ones for the ones I do manually. I use a soldering iron almost exclusively for SMD components, only sometimes the hot air gun for touching up or removing bad placements.

I don't have a ton of experience with various irons, I use my trusty old Hakko FX-888D and that works well for me.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 84 of 661, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kits are starting to go out...

Attachments

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 85 of 661, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-10-20, 20:54:

Kits are starting to go out...

Nice work! fun to see people so interested and you are able to help some of them, hopefully some one will make a nice review on youtube 😜

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 86 of 661, by vanfanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-10-20, 20:48:

I generally tend to avoid doing a ton of SMD soldering of really small components if I can, and rather pay JLC a little extra to have them do as many "jellybean" parts as possible.
The 1.1 board is also designed for this - with smaller pads for the parts that's reflow soldered by JLC and slightly larger ones for the ones I do manually. I use a soldering iron almost exclusively for SMD components, only sometimes the hot air gun for touching up or removing bad placements.

I don't have a ton of experience with various irons, I use my trusty old Hakko FX-888D and that works well for me.

You are right: I will pay JCL to do as much component soldering as possible.
I am going to place my first order in JCL: in order to have it done right, should I set any special options in the quote page?
Also, in order to get as many components as possible pre-soldered, should I chose them somewhere, or is it already specified on the .zip?
I know I may be annoying with so many questions, this is my first time, I will take notes 😀

So far, after uploading the .zip in JCL, I see that I have to:
-I have to activate "PCB Assembly"
-I have then to set "PCBA Type" to "Standard", so I can set "Assembly Sides" to "Both Sides".
The rest of the options available should be set to their defaults, is all this right?

Reply 87 of 661, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First time using KiCad as i only us the gerber files to order pcb.

But hopefully i did it the right way, we will see 😀

( might not be the nices way but who cares 😀 )
Ei3vkiV.png

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 88 of 661, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tabm0de wrote on 2022-10-24, 10:02:
First time using KiCad as i only us the gerber files to order pcb. […]
Show full quote

Ei3vkiV.png

Generally, one tends to avoid 90-degree bends for traces, keeping them always at 45 degrees if possible. 😀 In this case though, it doesn't matter. More like a matter of aesthetics! 😜
But yeah, that should work. 3.3V is the correct potential and matches the TX/RX high-state signal coming from the SOM.
A disclaimer though - I haven't tried this, but looks correct!

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 89 of 661, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-10-24, 15:26:
Generally, one tends to avoid 90-degree bends for traces, keeping them always at 45 degrees if possible. :) In this case though, […]
Show full quote
tabm0de wrote on 2022-10-24, 10:02:
First time using KiCad as i only us the gerber files to order pcb. […]
Show full quote

Ei3vkiV.png

Generally, one tends to avoid 90-degree bends for traces, keeping them always at 45 degrees if possible. 😀 In this case though, it doesn't matter. More like a matter of aesthetics! 😜
But yeah, that should work. 3.3V is the correct potential and matches the TX/RX high-state signal coming from the SOM.
A disclaimer though - I haven't tried this, but looks correct!

Aha good to know will change that then, no worries if it doesn’t work I couldn’t care less about that function :p

1S8mUGv.png

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 90 of 661, by culexus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanx to Eivind 😀 im lucky get two kits from him.

First I was looking allot at the weeCee that TheRasteri made, but the SOM module was not easy to get my hands on. 😒 But lucky that Eivind found a nice solution
that will hopfully bring back some DOS memmories again.

Looking realy forward to assemble this unit, I will also try to make an acrylic case and get it laser cut.

Reply 91 of 661, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vanfanel wrote on 2022-10-21, 07:28:
You are right: I will pay JCL to do as much component soldering as possible. I am going to place my first order in JCL: in order […]
Show full quote

You are right: I will pay JCL to do as much component soldering as possible.
I am going to place my first order in JCL: in order to have it done right, should I set any special options in the quote page?
Also, in order to get as many components as possible pre-soldered, should I chose them somewhere, or is it already specified on the .zip?
I know I may be annoying with so many questions, this is my first time, I will take notes 😀

So far, after uploading the .zip in JCL, I see that I have to:
-I have to activate "PCB Assembly"
-I have then to set "PCBA Type" to "Standard", so I can set "Assembly Sides" to "Both Sides".
The rest of the options available should be set to their defaults, is all this right?

The TinyLlama Github repo contains schematics, board layout, BOM suggestion and basic assembly instructions (in addition to a modified and customized BIOS/ROM), all free and open sourced - however, if you want to go down the road of putting together a unit completely from scratch, without the starting kit I'm currently selling, I'd recommend a baseline of prior experience in making PCB's.
I deliberately didn't include any board manufacturing instructions, as they vary quite a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer. In addition, these shops tend to change details of their ordering systems, available options, additions, parts libraries etc. frequently, and I kinda draw the line at keeping track of and documenting this.

I know lots of people use PCBWay, and I myself tend to stick with JLC, as that's what I have the most experience with. If you want to try using JLC's assembly service, I assume you've already read their documentation on how to proceed. If not, here's a link that'll help you get started: https://support.jlcpcb.com/category/78-smt-assembly

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 92 of 661, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Eivind

Will your BIOS work with Rasteri's WeeCee? or be modded to work for the WeeCee?

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 93 of 661, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Duffman wrote on 2022-10-26, 00:43:

@Eivind

I think thats a question to Rasteri's as he is the maker of that one, Eivind is maker of TinyLlama, unsure if he even have put his hands on a WeeCee 😉

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 94 of 661, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Duffman wrote on 2022-10-26, 00:43:

@Eivind

Unfortunately, no. The Coreboot/SeaBIOS combo I've modified was provided by DMP back in 2013, and includes support for the Vortex86EX CPU only.
The weeCee uses the Vortex86DX. AFAIK, DMP hasn't released any Coreboot/SeaBIOS options for CPUs other than the EX.

There's talk about this in the weeCee thread.

Edit: I noticed it was actually you who asked rasteri in that thread, Duffman! 😁 But yeah, sorry I don't have anything to contribute to that I'm afraid.
I guess in theory it would be possible to modify the EX-specific Coreboot/SeaBIOS code from the TinyLlama and add support for the DX as well, but this would require intimate knowledge of the DX CPU, possibly more than is available from the datasheet. If there are any BIOS developers lurking in here, there's a challenge for you! 😀

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 95 of 661, by vanfanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-10-25, 21:49:

The TinyLlama Github repo contains schematics, board layout, BOM suggestion and basic assembly instructions (in addition to a modified and customized BIOS/ROM), all free and open sourced - however, if you want to go down the road of putting together a unit completely from scratch, without the starting kit I'm currently selling, I'd recommend a baseline of prior experience in making PCB's.
I deliberately didn't include any board manufacturing instructions, as they vary quite a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer. In addition, these shops tend to change details of their ordering systems, available options, additions, parts libraries etc. frequently, and I kinda draw the line at keeping track of and documenting this.

I know lots of people use PCBWay, and I myself tend to stick with JLC, as that's what I have the most experience with. If you want to try using JLC's assembly service, I assume you've already read their documentation on how to proceed. If not, here's a link that'll help you get started: https://support.jlcpcb.com/category/78-smt-assembly

Thanks! That FAQ seems very useful. I have read it and I will try to order a test board and see what comes out of it 😁

Reply 96 of 661, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have received my kit !

IMG_20221029_131348.jpg

After 3 hours of work, here it is almost fully assembled

IMG_20221029_145546.jpg
IMG_20221029_145553.jpg

Now, I tried to order the 86duino and video card from DMP but every time I try, I get a message saying "Pay faile, plase contact us." 🙁
So I tried to contact them but no answer so far ...

One thing I'd suggest if a new revision comes : what about adding a network chip ? The Realtek RTL8019AS chip is readily available as NOS, and network support can always be useful (file transfer, LAN play, etc)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 97 of 661, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2022-10-29, 13:19:
I have received my kit ! […]
Show full quote

I have received my kit !

IMG_20221029_131348.jpg

After 3 hours of work, here it is almost fully assembled

IMG_20221029_145546.jpg
IMG_20221029_145553.jpg

Now, I tried to order the 86duino and video card from DMP but every time I try, I get a message saying "Pay faile, plase contact us." 🙁

One thing I'd suggest if a new revision comes : what about adding a network chip ? The Realtek RTL8019AS chip is readily available as NOS, and network support can always be useful (file transfer, LAN play, etc)

If you can’t order from dmp it might be your bank as there site does not have any validation when using card, like in Sweden I can enable allow payment online for 60min without validation in my bank application for the specific credit card.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 98 of 661, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's what I suspect and that's a bummer because I have no other bank 🙁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 99 of 661, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have received my kit !

That looks awesome, nice soldering! 😀

When did you try contacting them? They usually respond within a day when I send them emails.

The Vortex86EX already has a 10/100Mbit Ethernet MAC+PHY built-in to the chip itself. One only needs to add suitable magnetics and a RJ45 connector.... which is exactly what I'm designing in for an upcoming revision (along with some other niceties). No idea yet when it'll be done, just down the road for now... 😉

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC