VOGONS

TinyLlama (Vortex86EX SBC)

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 659, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not exactly, but it'd be more useful than what I suggested but in the meantime maybe this could be done

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 241 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2022-12-02, 17:38:

Not exactly, but it'd be more useful than what I suggested but in the meantime maybe this could be done

Quite a novel idea, Deksor! 😀 But unfortunately this could not easily be implemented with the current rev1.1 of the board.
That said, revision 2.0 will have a HIDman built in. A prototype of this is currently in production over at JLC... 😉
I'm still on the fence about whether to _also_ include physical PS/2 port(s) - I guess that will depend on how well the HIDman turns out to work with this system. We'll soon see...

The LlamaBlaster sound card
ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 242 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heads-up: as of right now, the SOM-128-EX modules are back in stock over at DMP!
No VGA modules (yet) though...

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 243 of 659, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The price has increased quite a bit though, it went from 38$ to 55 !

Can't wait to see what's coming for rev 2 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 244 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2022-12-02, 21:35:

The price has increased quite a bit though, it went from 38$ to 55 !

Can't wait to see what's coming for rev 2 😁

All thanks to tinyllama haha

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 245 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-12-02, 21:17:

Heads-up: as of right now, the SOM-128-EX modules are back in stock over at DMP!
No VGA modules (yet) though...

Would been nice if vga was in stock since the shipping cost is so high 😀

Ps don’t miss my post about seabios version :p

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 246 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tabm0de wrote on 2022-12-02, 22:20:

Try sending them a mail and ask! I'm sure it doesn't hurt to let them know their products are in demand, I believe they produce these modules in quite small batches.

The current rev1.1 BIOS is a slightly modified version of this repo, which is again a fork of the original SeaBIOS repo at around June 2014, which would have been approximately SeaBIOS version 1.7.3 - 1.7.4 I believe.
I have successfully tested the very latest version of SeaBIOS on the TinyLlama as well, when exploring the PS/2 emulation (see earlier in this thread), but it didn't seem to change anything we care about. I might update it to use that version later down the road, but it requires me to put in all my extra code (CPU speed, L1 cache config, boot tune, load/save from SPI, etc), possibly needing to update a bunch of stuff to get that working. Not a high priority right now, but it'll probably be done later.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 247 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-12-02, 22:39:
Try sending them a mail and ask! I'm sure it doesn't hurt to let them know their products are in demand, I believe they produce […]
Show full quote

Try sending them a mail and ask! I'm sure it doesn't hurt to let them know their products are in demand, I believe they produce these modules in quite small batches.

The current rev1.1 BIOS is a slightly modified version of this repo, which is again a fork of the original SeaBIOS repo at around June 2014, which would have been approximately SeaBIOS version 1.7.3 - 1.7.4 I believe.
I have successfully tested the very latest version of SeaBIOS on the TinyLlama as well, when exploring the PS/2 emulation (see earlier in this thread), but it didn't seem to change anything we care about. I might update it to use that version later down the road, but it requires me to put in all my extra code (CPU speed, L1 cache config, boot tune, load/save from SPI, etc), possibly needing to update a bunch of stuff to get that working. Not a high priority right now, but it'll probably be done later.

Ye I can see why that wouldn’t be priority if it’s much to change, the hub solution isn’t a problem for me as long win 3 works haha as it isn’t really a mouse required fps machine serial ball mouse is all good 😀

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 249 of 659, by Aaron707

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My parts have arrived! Time to start building! Thank you to @florian3 f0r selling me an SOM and VGA board. I have revision 1 of the bottom half of my case done. Going to do a test print later today and see if I got the spacing on things right.

Attachments

• Case bottom v1.png
    Filename
    Case bottom v1.png
    File size
    544.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 250 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aaron707 wrote on 2022-12-10, 20:14:

My parts have arrived! Time to start building! Thank you to @florian3 f0r selling me an SOM and VGA board. I have revision 1 of the bottom half of my case done. Going to do a test print later today and see if I got the spacing on things right.

Looks nice 😀

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 251 of 659, by Aaron707

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-12-02, 18:09:
Quite a novel idea, Deksor! :) But unfortunately this could not easily be implemented with the current rev1.1 of the board. That […]
Show full quote
Deksor wrote on 2022-12-02, 17:38:

Quite a novel idea, Deksor! 😀 But unfortunately this could not easily be implemented with the current rev1.1 of the board.
That said, revision 2.0 will have a HIDman built in. A prototype of this is currently in production over at JLC... 😉
I'm still on the fence about whether to _also_ include physical PS/2 port(s) - I guess that will depend on how well the HIDman turns out to work with this system. We'll soon see...

What are dimensions of 2.0 PCB? Pic?

I printed a bottom and finished designing a top. Bottom was good, but needed some changes. Once I soldered my pcb and components some of the bottom capacitors and pins were hitting the standoffs. Going to test my board next then print the case again.

Attachments

• Case bottom rev2.PNG
    Filename
    Case bottom rev2.PNG
    File size
    191.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Case Top rev1.PNG
    Filename
    Case Top rev1.PNG
    File size
    213.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 252 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aaron707 wrote on 2022-12-12, 18:51:

What are dimensions of 2.0 PCB? Pic?

The prototype board is 100x100 mm. It has two additional daughter boards on the top side, a tiny HIDman implementation and a Wemos D1 Mini (ESP8266). I'm currently testing the HIDman, haven't gotten to the modem/ethernet over wifi stuff yet. If all turns out well, I should be able to get everything down to about 100x77 mm, but not sure if it's worth another spin. Might keep the prototype form factor.
I'll post pictures when I've soldered everything together, just playing with the USB HID stuff for now.

Edit: oooh, and I forgot to mention - almost all components, both smd and tht, both sides, are soldered by JLC now. That is very nice for someone who doesn't exactly love soldering. 😀

Aaron707 wrote on 2022-12-12, 18:51:

I printed a bottom and finished designing a top. Bottom was good, but needed some changes. Once I soldered my pcb and components some of the bottom capacitors and pins were hitting the standoffs. Going to test my board next then print the case again.

That looks soooo good! 😁 What CAD software are you using? I wanna make one when you're finished! Just gotta find a filament with the proper oldskool beige color! 😉

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 253 of 659, by Aaron707

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think my case size should just fit 100x100 by mounting the fan somewhere else or omitting it. Great news about less soldering, but I think that is half the fun as well.

That looks soooo good! 😁 What CAD software are you using? I wanna make one when you're finished! Just gotta find a filament with the proper oldskool beige color! 😉

Just tinkercad because its free and super easy to use. It has its own set of shortcomings and limitations but is good enough for simple stuff. I have been getting better the more I use it. But don't want to go back and redo my design completely to make the improvements I learned.

I ordered some of this beige PLA to try last night. Its suppose to match Amiga 500 beige exactly:
https://www.printedsolid.com/products/jessie- … x-1kg-beige-500
The other option is to just paint the case. I found the rustoleum ivory bisque is a great computer parts color. I painted my cheap mechanical keyboard case with it recently and it looks very good.

Reply 254 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aaron707 wrote on 2022-12-12, 20:39:
I think my case size should just fit 100x100 by mounting the fan somewhere else or omitting it. Great news about less soldering […]
Show full quote

I think my case size should just fit 100x100 by mounting the fan somewhere else or omitting it. Great news about less soldering, but I think that is half the fun as well.

Just tinkercad because its free and super easy to use. It has its own set of shortcomings and limitations but is good enough for simple stuff. I have been getting better the more I use it. But don't want to go back and redo my design completely to make the improvements I learned.

I ordered some of this beige PLA to try last night. Its suppose to match Amiga 500 beige exactly:
The other option is to just paint the case. I found the rustoleum ivory bisque is a great computer parts color. I painted my cheap mechanical keyboard case with it recently and it looks very good.

So Aaron707 can i throw money at you to maybe order one for me? 😉 they dont ship to sweden 🙁

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 255 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tabm0de wrote on 2022-12-12, 20:56:
I think my case size should just fit 100x100 by mounting the fan somewhere else or omitting it. Great news about less soldering […]
Show full quote

So Aaron707 can i throw money at you to maybe order one for me? 😉 they dont ship to sweden 🙁

Huh! I just sent them an email asking if they'd be willing to make an exception OR knew where I could get a similar color. Instant reply, no to both. What a weird business model, not wanting to make money.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 256 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-12-12, 21:20:
Show full quote

Huh! I just sent them an email asking if they'd be willing to make an exception OR knew where I could get a similar color. Instant reply, no to both. What a weird business model, not wanting to make money.

I asked them few days ago, the owner likes retro pc that’s why they have the colors 😀

“ im sorry not at this time i believe there is something in the works but we do not have anything definite yet ”

When I asked for shipping to Sweden 😉

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 257 of 659, by Aaron707

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Show full quote

Possibly, I guess I should have ordered more than one to get their free shipping! Hoping to have it by this weekend to test out.
I wanted to try this, but shipping to USA was high: https://colorfabb.com/silk-grey-ral-7044 It is the same color as vintage macintosh computers.
I picked up some cheap "bone white" PLA from amazon but it doesn't have enough pigment and is see-through on thin surfaces but does look decent enough.

Reply 258 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-12-12, 19:04:

The prototype board is 100x100 mm. It has two additional daughter boards on the top side, a tiny HIDman implementation and a Wemos D1 Mini (ESP8266). I'm currently testing the HIDman, haven't gotten to the modem/ethernet over wifi stuff yet. If all turns out well, I should be able to get everything down to about 100x77 mm, but not sure if it's worth another spin. Might keep the prototype form factor.
I'll post pictures when I've soldered everything together, just playing with the USB HID stuff for now.

Edit: oooh, and I forgot to mention - almost all components, both smd and tht, both sides, are soldered by JLC now. That is very nice for someone who doesn't exactly love soldering. 😀

Maybe in the future we can have parallel or simple scsi controller onboard 😉 so we can run our original cd games 😜
and ye sadly only ports that does take the space more then the components that are required 😒
That is if there isnt any real good fakecd's out there 😀

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 259 of 659, by NRoach44

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tabm0de wrote on 2022-12-14, 07:25:

Maybe in the future we can have parallel or simple scsi controller onboard 😉 so we can run our original cd games 😜
and ye sadly only ports that does take the space more then the components that are required 😒
That is if there isnt any real good fakecd's out there 😀

I was thinking of making a modified TinyLlama with a PC/104 header, mainly for the flexibility allowing me to make other weird custom cards to slap onto it. It seems to be quite a versatile interface, with a not-huge footprint too.

Maybe I've seen too many of Rasteri's videos....