VOGONS

First post, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About a week ago I've put together my second retro pc.
The idea of the pc is to play 2d and 3dfx msdos games and some early 3dfx win9x games on it and have it with a maximum compatibility.

The configuration is as follows:
Pentium MMX 233 Mhz
1x 128MB sdr memory
S3 Trio 3D/2X 8MB pci for 2d msdos compatibility
STB 3Dfx Voodoo 4MB PCI for the obvious ofc.
Creative AWE64 ISA Soundcard
40GB WD Caviar
52x CD-RW
17" Iiyama Vision Master

Is there anything for me to improve on hw wise?

It runs Carma, GTA, Tombraider, Descent II, Turok without problems in MS-Dos
It runs Carma2, TR2&3, I76 Nitro and Half-Life without issues in win98.
So the voodoo does it work as it should.

OMF, Psycho Pinnball, Commanche 3, Jagged Alliance etc works very well in MS-Dos for as far as the S3 card goes with 2d gaming.

Is the S3 compatible with older MS-Dos games as well? Say Keen, Volfied and POP? And what about Deathtrack?

Also, would Socket 370 / 462 coolers fit on a socket 7 mainboard so I could remove the fan and let the p233 with max 23W power draw run passive?

Looking forward hearing from you guys.

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 1 of 14, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aebtdom wrote on 2022-01-18, 23:38:

I think it's pretty much perfect, a very versatile setup. I'd maybe just add a memory module to the AWE64, there are things like this that allow you to use regular SIMM72 memory modules. Original Creative memory expansion modules for AWE64 are pretty rare and expensive. I would add at least 8MB to that SIMMCON — this already would allow you to get a lot of nice soundfonts and really improve the quality of the MIDI music in games. The maximum supported memory size would be 32MB (only 28MB would be available due to AWE64 design), there are some soundfonts that size that are worth checking out as well.

Also unless your motherboard has a chipset that can cache more than 64MB RAM (a lot of Socket 7 systems can't), that 128MB RAM module can cause a small performance hit. Then again, that's kind of a general advice when building Socket 7, and I personally never actually bothered to benchmark it myself. I suppose it should mostly matter when your system actually uses memory above 64MB a lot, which isn't likely on your machine.

Finally I like to use network cards on my retro builds for transferring stuff and also browsing old websites using a Wayback Machine proxy — really one of my favourite things to do on old machines. Maybe check it out, it's a pretty cool experience. Imagine opening Internet Explorer on your build, going to yahoo.com and actually reading news from 1996. Any cheap 3com network card would do.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 14, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great build. Don't forget to try out Screamer 2 and Screamer Rally as well. Along with Descent 2, they are my favourite DOS Glide experiences.

+1 to throwing in a network card too.

Reply 3 of 14, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote on 2022-01-19, 00:09:
I think it's pretty much perfect, a very versatile setup. I'd maybe just add a memory module to the AWE64, there are things like […]
Show full quote
Aebtdom wrote on 2022-01-18, 23:38:

I think it's pretty much perfect, a very versatile setup. I'd maybe just add a memory module to the AWE64, there are things like this that allow you to use regular SIMM72 memory modules. Original Creative memory expansion modules for AWE64 are pretty rare and expensive. I would add at least 8MB to that SIMMCON — this already would allow you to get a lot of nice soundfonts and really improve the quality of the MIDI music in games. The maximum supported memory size would be 32MB (only 28MB would be available due to AWE64 design), there are some soundfonts that size that are worth checking out as well.

Also unless your motherboard has a chipset that can cache more than 64MB RAM (a lot of Socket 7 systems can't), that 128MB RAM module can cause a small performance hit. Then again, that's kind of a general advice when building Socket 7, and I personally never actually bothered to benchmark it myself. I suppose it should mostly matter when your system actually uses memory above 64MB a lot, which isn't likely on your machine.

Finally I like to use network cards on my retro builds for transferring stuff and also browsing old websites using a Wayback Machine proxy — really one of my favourite things to do on old machines. Maybe check it out, it's a pretty cool experience. Imagine opening Internet Explorer on your build, going to yahoo.com and actually reading news from 1996. Any cheap 3com network card would do.

Thanks!
I think I'll have a good look at that memory module for the AWE64. But what could you use it for? I think it is for the midi table or something? Never knew something like this excisted.
The 3com network card could be an excellent idea for my old NAS system.

Builds:

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 4 of 14, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the motherboard can handle it, I enjoyed goosing my P233 MMX to 2.5 x 100 FSB with some PC100 ram. Pushed Quake 2 into a much more enjoyable performance bracket. From 25 FPS with action in the 10's, to 30 FPS with action in the low 20's high 10's. Made a huge difference. I'm under the impression almost every P233 MMX is capable of this rather modest overclock.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 5 of 14, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aebtdom wrote on 2022-01-19, 18:14:

Thanks!
I think I'll have a good look at that memory module for the AWE64. But what could you use it for? I think it is for the midi table or something? Never knew something like this excisted.
The 3com network card could be an excellent idea for my old NAS system.

AWE series of soundcards support loading SF2 soundfonts into that extra memory. Basically your MIDI tracks in games will play using a different set of instruments, usually of higher quality (I think AWE64 stock soundbank is like 512KB or something). There are lots of different soundfonts (Masterpiece, Weeds, Chorium, Arachno, etc) so you can experiment and find what you like.

The downside is that it will only work under Windows (but it will work with DOS games run under Win9x) and it will slightly increase your boot time because it needs to load the soundfont each time.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 6 of 14, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it worth getting an awe64 for windows 95? I've been toying with the idea of making my rig a dual boot alongside the already installed dos 6.22.

But I haven't got any free slots left so I'd have to give up my tandy card which I'm not super keen on.

Reply 8 of 14, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2022-01-20, 07:33:

What is the motherboard here? Can it actually cache 128MB of RAM?

To be very honoust, It was the only sdr memory stick I had laying around.
The mainboards supports up to 256MB memory and a 233mhz CPU be it this mmx model or an AMD one.
So very doubtfull it will cache it with gaming.

I might fetch a pair of 32Megs of ram to get a bit of a better performance result.

Another question I have though is: since this cpu has a 24W ish max power draw, would a larger socket 370 or 462 heatsink fit and be sufficient a cooling if I remove te fan? It would make the pc so much more quiet.

Builds:

Reply 9 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Aebtdom wrote on 2022-01-20, 22:48:

Another question I have though is: since this cpu has a 24W ish max power draw, would a larger socket 370 or 462 heatsink fit and be sufficient a cooling if I remove te fan? It would make the pc so much more quiet.

You won't get away without a fan with anything faster than P133 IME.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 11 of 14, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-01-22, 08:22:

True. Better get a larger cooler with more surface that can also mount a larger fan. Have that fan spin at low RPM and you should be good.

Thanks, I think I will try that then.
Since my current fan doesn't really have any heat sink to speak of, it has one ofcourse and it is sufficient, but even the word tiny doesn't begin to cover it.

Builds:

Reply 12 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
To be very honoust, It was the only sdr memory stick I had laying around. The mainboards supports up to 256MB memory and a 233mh […]
Show full quote

The mainboards supports up to 256MB memory and a 233mhz CPU be it this mmx model or an AMD one.

I might fetch a pair of 32Megs of ram to get a bit of a better performance result.

That really depends on what exact motherboard you're using.
You could opt to add a larger (but slower moving) fan, it should reduce the noise significantly.

Btw, you have a PCI S3 Trio 3D? It's not an AGP card? Because I think if it's PCI that's really kinda neat 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 14, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-02-02, 22:16:
That really depends on what exact motherboard you're using. You could opt to add a larger (but slower moving) fan, it should red […]
Show full quote
To be very honoust, It was the only sdr memory stick I had laying around. The mainboards supports up to 256MB memory and a 233mh […]
Show full quote

You could opt to add a larger (but slower moving) fan, it should reduce the noise significantly.

Btw, you have a PCI S3 Trio 3D? It's not an AGP card? Because I think if it's PCI that's really kinda neat 😜

Yeah it is a S3 Trio 3D PCI card. Never understood why these cards were made in AGP because they are as slow as they come. The voodoo 1 outperforms these cards in any possible way. 8MB is totally unused. It's only suitable for software rendering.

Builds:

Reply 14 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Aebtdom wrote on 2022-02-24, 07:32:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-02-02, 22:16:
That really depends on what exact motherboard you're using. You could opt to add a larger (but slower moving) fan, it should red […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Yeah it is a S3 Trio 3D PCI card. Never understood why these cards were made in AGP because they are as slow as they come. The voodoo 1 outperforms these cards in any possible way. 8MB is totally unused. It's only suitable for software rendering.

First generation of AGP cards provided as unimpressive of a performance boost as the very first PCI-E cards did 😜
But at least these shouldn't be THE slowest AGP cards ever made. That title may go to the SiS6326 but still, Trio 3D is as slow as AGP can get 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!