VOGONS

First post, by kleung21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there all,

Need an opinion. I've been collecting retro laptops recently (space issues) and I already have a Toshiba 460cdt (p166mmx) and 490xcdt (p2-233) as well as a Tecra 8000 (p2-233).

I see a Toshiba 420cdt forsale (p100) and I'm wondering if there is any advantage to adding that to my collection if the goal is to get a dos / win95-98 gaming system.

I'm actually looking at simplifying my collection (I have a Compaq LTE 5300 and LTE Elite 4/40cx forsale) as I have a ridiculous number of retro systems.

Short questions

1) p2-233; is there any need to keep both Tecra 8000 and 490xcdt? => similar specced but less ram for xcdt although I like the older industrial design.

2) P100 vs. 166mmx ? => any advantage of getting a SLOWER p100 system for retro gaming rather than sticking witht he 4460cdt?

Many thanks for the opinion . The problem with TOO many systems is I spend too much time trying to maintain them rather than just using one to play with.

PS -- if anyone in the toronto region is looking to purchase a Compaq LTE5300 or LTE Elite 4/40cx => you can PM me if it isn't against forum rules.

Reply 2 of 3, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Tecra 8000 has neomagic video, so despite the nicer screen and nicer overall design, I'd prefer the 490XCDT out of the two, with its CHIPS video chip it's more compatible. And they both have Yamaha OPL3-SAx audio. In my experience the 490 was non-functional due to the bios & bridge battery, so make sure to remove those and get a working one.

The 420CDT is nice, I like the one I've got, but it doesn't have L2 cache, the later 490 and 8000 do have the L2 cache. The pentium systems are more speed-tunable than the pentium-ii systems afaik.

The 460CDT is probably the best of the lot, the MMX runs cooler and it might have better LCD scaling, while the audio will again be the Yamaha OPL3-sax rather than the ESS + OPL3 souncard on the 420CDT.

Reply 3 of 3, by kleung21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the replies. VERY helpful and in the end, I passed on the 420CDT.

I didn't realize the added flexibility that the 166mmx cpu from the 460CDT would give me.

I had tested the cache L1/L2 disablling on the P2 system (big jumps) but just re(watched) the Phil's computer lab on setmul Pentium MMX tuning. Impressive.

In addition, I have Libretto 60 that I didn't mention previously and realize now that it would be a great Pentium gaming system if hooked into an external mouse/keyboard/monitor. The only problem is that the keyboards are unplayable so I need to find a dock with a PS2 connector for it. I only have the i/o expander.

I have made a short video review (apologies for the poor production quality) comparing the Libretto 60, Porteget 660cdt and the Satellite Pro (440cdt). I will post the link once it's uploaded.