VOGONS

First post, by Robertkopp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys let me quickly introduce myself. I am born in 84, got my c64 a snes and eventually a playstation, the usual stuff.
My PC gaming experience by then was playing Doom, Battle Isle, Rockford, Sango Fighter and Mortal Kombat on somebody elses PC (mainly one of my cousins). In the end of 1995 I think we had to buy a Home PC for my Parents to maintain the Family Business after hours.
We bought a Intel Pentium 133mhz, no mmx with 16MB ram, a Matrox Mystique and a Sound Blaster 16 If I remember correctly combined with a Creative 8x CD Drive, a Sony 15sf Monitor and a HP Deskjet 610c Inkjet Printer.
I was hooked playing NHL96 with my brother against the AI and discovering what my cousin had burned to a CD from his 386 and 486 collection.

A yearly routine of casually playing through all the good shooter games on max difficulty stuck with me even in the days where I was mostly drunk and doing stupid stuff.
Today I still love my PC, a Ryzen machine and I still play a lot of older games on GOG and Steam and I watch a lot of YouTube videos about retro. Now that's the reason why I am here, I watch a lot of Phil's videos and remembered he had a win98 machine running on a Intel G something and I have 2 dual core boards in DDR2 and DDR3 flavor still laying around. A quick look what chipsets I got and so I thought I hit the Jackpot in my own closet. I ordered a 60GB SSD, a GTX6600GT, a Sound Blaster Live and a nice case and got really damn excited.

c61bd8fa-8aa3-4d6d-afca-415d8c10d6b0.jpg

I got really, really damn far with this P5G41T-M LX2/GB and the E5800 even tho It's has a pretty locked down bios so I had to boot with USB2 from the start and I only have USB periphery. I think I got further than Phil did with that Chipset.

f31af510-bfd4-4e8f-b241-182094a0bf2b.jpg

I had the same 'bug' like Phil, it showed my GPU twice after installing the drivers but removing both and then manually applying the drivers again fixed it compleley (so I think, It showed as a GTX6600 without the GT at the end), my only real problem was that the soundcard did have a whacked up ID with a missing string at the end and I had to also force these drivers in and only the wdm drivers worked, which is not good.
I think that is becasue the board already uses a PCI to PCI-E bridge controller and since there is no driver for this I did hit the roadblock here.

OK out the XP thumb drive and while I did make this a XP machie I browsed the web for Win98 compatible parts.
I eventually stumbled over a board line that was produced by MSI for Medion, HP and DELL from I think and cheap as chips (25-35€ shipped).
So I ordered one MSI Mainboard MS-7204 with Intel Chipset and a Pentium D plus 4GB RAM and the VIA variant MEDION MS 7318 with a Celeron and a 512MB RAM stick.

So I have to pull the GTX out of the XP PC again, what card should I get for the XP rig? I always liked the Radeon cards with video input and I have seen some in the HD4000 line with svideo input aswell.
Any recommendations maybe from the HD2000 or 3000 line. I know these cards to be confusing, there are cards with the same name and different DDR memory in the HD series.

IMG-20220209-093258.jpg

Got some of the stuff in today, it's the via board with the celeron D at 3ghz. But I have to wait for the other board to show up since it comes with the heatsink for these (b-itx) mounting holes.

pc.png
archiveorg.png
https://archive.org/details/@robertkopp