First post, by speeddemon
I had previously started the Help spec my P4 Win98 Retro Rig thread, but I'm making a dedicated post for this build now that it's complete.
The build started for me with the following goals:
- Focus on DOS games that aren't speed-sensitive games all the way up through early-2000s Windows games.
- Primarily use parts I already have in my collection. The only parts I needed to buy were some of the fans and the case.
- Keep the build as small as possible. I had a few issues fitting everything in such a tiny case, but it all worked out in the end.
- Use my GeForce 5950 Ultra since it's the fastest card I have that works with Windows 98.
- Retain native Glide support. Glad I held onto many of my Voodoo cards.
- I was a huge fan of positional audio back in the day so I wanted good support for both A3D and EAC.
Here's what I ended up assembling:
- Asus P5P800 (LGA775 Intel 865PE)
- Pentium 4 HT 670 3.8GHz (LGA775 Prescott 2M)
- Nvidia GeForce FX 5950 Ultra (Zalman FS-V7 cooler)
- 2x 3dfx Voodoo2 12MB SLI
- Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
- Aureal Vortex 2 8830 (Diamond Monster Sound MX300)
- Serdaco DreamBlaster X2GS (attached to the Aureal 8830)
- 512MB DDR400 CL2 Dual-channel RAM
- Cooler Master Elite 361 case
- Seasonic GX-650 power supply
- 3x Noctua 80mm front/back case fans (NF-A8 FLX)
- 1x Noctua 120mm x 15mm slim top case fan (NF-A12x15 FLX)
- 1x Cooler Master 80mm x 10mm slim side case fan (R4-SPS-20AK-GP)
- Zalman CNPS7700-CU CPU cooler
- Roland SC-88 synth
- LaCie electron22blueIV CRT
- SATA SSD for storage
- IDE Plextor PX-760A DVD±RW drive
- Gotek SFR1M44-U100 floppy emulator
In a perfect world I would have another PCI slot so I could fit my Yamaha PCI YMF724F for OPL3 games but you can't have it all with retro PC builds. I originally thought I'd regularly swap in the YMF724F by pulling one of my Voodoo cards, but I actually end up playing all my OPL3 games on my Socket 7 build.
Enjoy and let me know what you think!
PC#1: K6-3+ 500 / Asus TX97-X / Voodoo3 / Orpheus + PCMIDI + WP32 / Win98
PC#2: P4 HT 670 / Asus P5P800 / FX5950U + V2 SLI / Audigy 2ZS + Vortex2 + X2GS / Win98
PC#3: i7-3770K / Asus P8Z77-V Pro / TITAN X / X-Fi / WinXP
PC#4: i9-9900K / Gigabyte Z390M / GTX 1070 / X-Fi Ti HD + SC-88 / Win10