Reply 20 of 25, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
speeddemon wrote on 2022-04-27, 19:48:
mastergamma12 wrote on 2022-04-26, 19:21:
speeddemon wrote on 2022-04-26, 17:57:

How did you port the drivers?

Ended up using a modified version of XP.

That worked for me too. I followed your signature links to this page which links to a modified version of Windows XP POSReady 2009: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Optional+P … rator+script%22

I now have Windows XP running stable on my Z270 with USB3 and Ethernet (via USB Ethernet adapter). I'm still going to try my Z77 board this weekend since I'd prefer to be on a board that doesn't have additional unrecognized devices, but this was interesting/cool to figure out.

Glad to hear you got it working.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 21 of 25, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi speeddemon, just stumbled upon your post because I'm considering a somewhat sized-down version of this based on my P5P800-VM. I like how you check all the boxes for a fast w98 box as well as the crispy clean condition of your parts and the tidy way of cable arrangement. Everything looks real solid.

A few questions:
Did you disable HT?
Did you experience any instability in Windows 98?
Did you use any specific driver versions, patches and tricks?
Did you experience any non-DOS games being iffy about your CPU running well above 3Ghz?
Is it true that the Voodoos run very hot when ran with a fast CPU like this?
Could you post some benchmarks?
What do you think of ICH5 ESD troubles?
Does your CD-ROM drive hold discs well in that position?

Thanks!

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 22 of 25, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In my experience with a somewhat similar build based on a P4P 800
P4P800 End of Win98 Support Build

Did you disable HT?
No need, Win98 works fine with it still enabled.

Only because I went above the 512MB Ram rule, which I fixed with the Rlow Patch

Apart from the Rlow Patch everything is stock standard, No unofficial service packs or similar.

Did you experience any non-DOS games being iffy about your CPU running well above 3Ghz?
Not that I remember, but admit I didn't try my really early 9x games

I don't think anyone has ever had concrete evidence of this, I'm sure they run hot but enough to cook themselves to death?
I took some reading of my P3 with V2 SLI setup as a reference point. If you have any way of checking your temps, if your in the same ballpark I'd call it safe
Voodoo 2 Temperatures

Never had any problems but have networking setup so rarely use USB.

You have to be extra careful that the CD is in the grove properly and be gentle when ejecting the cd so it doesn't fall out of place while the tray is moving. Disc themsleves read fine. Do I like it? not really, but can live with it if needed.

Reply 23 of 25, by speeddemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruno128 wrote on 2022-09-16, 08:11:

Hi speeddemon, just stumbled upon your post because I'm considering a somewhat sized-down version of this based on my P5P800-VM. I like how you check all the boxes for a fast w98 box as well as the crispy clean condition of your parts and the tidy way of cable arrangement. Everything looks real solid.

chinny22 wrote on 2022-09-20, 13:20:

In my experience with a somewhat similar build based on a P4P 800
P4P800 End of Win98 Support Build

Bruno, sorry for being slow getting back to you... I'm going to pile on late to Chinny's responses:

Did you disable HT?
Like Chinny said, not necessary.

Perfectly stable

No

No

I've never measured, but I think it's a good idea to actively cool them for longevity at this point if you can like I did.

Could you post some benchmarks?
Sorry, I don't have the time at the moment and honestly its not necessary aside from comparing to know whether yours is running well enough... everything appropriate runs beyond fast. If it's not fast enough then I just use this system: i7-3770K / Asus P8Z77-V Pro / TITAN X / X-Fi / WinXP

I didn't experience any.

Yes, I just have to be careful inserting them.

PC#1: K6-3+ 500 / Asus TX97-X / Voodoo3 / Orpheus + PCMIDI + WP32 / Win98
PC#2: P4 HT 670 / Asus P5P800 / FX5950U + V2 SLI / Audigy 2ZS + Vortex2 + X2GS / Win98
PC#3: i7-3770K / Asus P8Z77-V Pro / TITAN X / X-Fi / WinXP
PC#4: i9-9900K / Gigabyte Z390M / GTX 1070 / X-Fi Ti HD + SC-88 / Win10

Reply 24 of 25, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like this type of case (less height) with PSU up front but I would wish there is room for rear 120mm fan instead, is there one like this?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 25 of 25, by speeddemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-09-21, 22:21:

I like this type of case (less height) with PSU up front but I would wish there is room for rear 120mm fan instead, is there one like this?

Late reply, sorry, but the case I used for this build unfortunately isn't available anymore from Cooler Master. With that said, there's no room for a 120mm fan in a case this size. I do think Cooler Master made other cases though in this series that were a little bigger and supported 120mm fans. Check out the case I used in my Socket 7 build if you want to see a case that supports a 120mm fan and is still for sale: K6-3+ 500 / Asus TX97-X / Voodoo3 / Orpheus + PCMIDI + WP32 / Win98

PC#1: K6-3+ 500 / Asus TX97-X / Voodoo3 / Orpheus + PCMIDI + WP32 / Win98
PC#2: P4 HT 670 / Asus P5P800 / FX5950U + V2 SLI / Audigy 2ZS + Vortex2 + X2GS / Win98
PC#3: i7-3770K / Asus P8Z77-V Pro / TITAN X / X-Fi / WinXP
PC#4: i9-9900K / Gigabyte Z390M / GTX 1070 / X-Fi Ti HD + SC-88 / Win10