i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Topic actions

Reply 61 of 62, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-04-06, 04:33:

Quincunx AA looks too blurry to my eyes, and it tends to also affect the game's UI, which is a big turn off for me. Granted, I only tried it a few times on a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 card, and quickly gave up after seeing the initial results.

I really liked it with Voyager Elite Force at 1600x1200 or 1920x1440. I think I was using a FX 5900 but it can be enabled on much newer hardware with NV Inspector. It is awful at lower resolutions as they tried to sell it for with like GeForce 3.

ATI added something similar with the tent filters on the HD cards. And NV now has that DSR smoothness filter option too.

It certainly is personal preference though yeah.

Reply 62 of 62, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the compatibility issues in general, KOTOR was mainly an Xbox game and Bioware was Nvidia-centric with their older games too. It was built for that GeForce 3/4. So it's a bit like Splinter Cell in that way. If you play it on a GeForce 3 - 7 it should run without any compatibility problems but I don't remember what it's like on newer hardware. I have a feeling it would work ok up to at least GTX 5xx cards though.

ATI on the other hand was very problematic. ATI's OpenGL sucks and had regressions with every other driver release so that was a rough ride. Catalyst 4.2 worked pretty well and so does 7.11. But I think there's a desert heat blur effect on Dantooine that caused crashes.

As for the multi-core aspect, using imagecfg to set single core affinity started with games like this back in WinXP and Athlon 64 X2 days. Hyperthreading was brand new in 2003 so probably not thoroughly tested by the developers so I would set core affinity there too. You probably want to keep games on one logical core of a single core chip anyway.