VOGONS

A smol K6-II+ /Voodoo build

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 52, by ynopot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2022-06-20, 23:59:

Nothing else fiddled with. You want to screw up your RAM settings in the BIOS, be my guest, nobody stops you from watching a crashfest because you thought faster and tighter RAM timings will get you faster operation on cheap SDRAM that's been slowly degrading after 20+ years. And not just cheap SDRAM, but also on qualtiy SDRAM sticks as well (Micron and Samsung).

I found my two RAM modules in the garbage. They are different. PC-100. Even they give me 2-2-2-5 timings. And it's stable
Just go and try what I'm talking about))

wpc_64.jpg
Filename
wpc_64.jpg
File size
129.46 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
wpc_65.jpg
Filename
wpc_65.jpg
File size
128.8 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
wpc_6c.jpg
Filename
wpc_6c.jpg
File size
125.33 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
sandra.jpg
Filename
sandra.jpg
File size
74.3 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PcBytes wrote on 2022-06-20, 23:59:

As for driver revisions, whatever works the most stable - VIA 4in1 4.43, Amigamerlin Voodoo drivers, standard RTL8139 drivers (for now, as I might give Intel a try, providing I avoid that NC3121 card which I am sure is pretty much done for), Maximus Decim's NUSB 3.6 for everything USB (and this includes both VIA's integrated chipset drivers as well as the USB2.0 card), and whatever Windows provides for the rest (which would be the OPL3-SAx soundcard).

Now you know that Viagart.vxd from version 4.16 (4.17...) is faster. He is stable

Filename
wpc+4in1416.zip
File size
1.08 MiB
Downloads
36 downloads
File license
Public domain

Reply 41 of 52, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And you're expecting me to download all those benchmark stuff? No thanks. I think I've decided and will not run any benchmarks on mine. Too much time consuming for something that will run a few games (and none of which a performance hit from a USB2 and NIC card would really matter) and nothing else besides that.

As for GART, I'm sticking to whatever version 4in1 4.43 uses, and not yours. I am looking to keep everything as stock as possible (except the Voodoo3 and NUSB drivers) and not have to deal with version differences.

Therefore, stop hijacking this thread.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 42 of 52, by ynopot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2022-06-21, 11:08:

And you're expecting me to download all those benchmark stuff? No thanks. I think I've decided and will not run any benchmarks on mine. Too much time consuming for something that will run a few games (and none of which a performance hit from a USB2 and NIC card would really matter) and nothing else besides that.

As for GART, I'm sticking to whatever version 4in1 4.43 uses, and not yours. I am looking to keep everything as stock as possible (except the Voodoo3 and NUSB drivers) and not have to deal with version differences.

Therefore, stop hijacking this thread.

In the attached archive - wpcredit/wpcrset utilities that may help you increase the memory bandwidth. There is also a driver version 4.16 with a more productive Viagart.vxd which you just need to put in C:\Windows\System

You don't want to make your system better.

Reply 43 of 52, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And? It's my own choice wheter I want to make my system better or not. So far, it runs fine with no issues, thus, your optimizations are unneeded.

If you wanted to show off your optimizations, you could have gone and made a new thread, not hijack mine.

Reply 44 of 52, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why has this thread devolved from being PcBytes' build post to ynopot's dick measuring contest?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 45 of 52, by ynopot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2022-06-21, 11:32:

Why has this thread devolved from being PcBytes' build post to ynopot's dick measuring contest?

I don't measure anything. I'm trying to suggest how to make the system better and give material for this.

Reply 46 of 52, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And none of the "optimizations" you have been insisting on would be of any benefit in my case. If anything, I would be running at speeds worse than a Cyrix 6x86.

But go on, ramble and rant around as to how I am not willing to make my system better when I've already told you any of those (besides delidding the chip which I do not have the skills nor will to attempt to do, for very good reasons) so called optimizations you've been pushing would slow down the machine worse than ever.

Reply 47 of 52, by ynopot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2022-06-21, 11:46:

And none of the "optimizations" you have been insisting on would be of any benefit in my case. If anything, I would be running at speeds worse than a Cyrix 6x86.

How do you know this? Have you tried what I suggested? Have you done any benchmarks? - NOOOOO!!!

Most of those who built MVP3 use WPCREDIT to edit memory registers. Most of those who built the MVP3 choose the optimal driver versions. These are the standard procedures for MVP3

Reply 48 of 52, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ynopot wrote on 2022-06-21, 12:03:

How do you know this? Have you tried what I suggested? Have you done any benchmarks? - NOOOOO!!!

Most of those who built MVP3 use WPCREDIT to edit memory registers. Most of those who built the MVP3 choose the optimal driver versions. These are the standard procedures for MVP3

No, it is not standar procedure. My goal was to build a machine just as it would have been back in around 1999/2000, not go bonkers and push it to its limits with WPCRedit or whatever gizmos you insist on. The RTL8139 NIC and USB2.0 are simply for commodity, and so is the 40GB HDD, just because running a old 4GB HDD is not viable anymore, wear-tear wise.

I am not going to go further to explain because you wouldn't understand anyways, so I'll keep it simple.

I do not wish to optimize it to squeeze any performance out of it. I just want to peacefully play a bunch of 2D and some 3d Glide/early DirectX games, none of which need your optimizations. It is simply Murphy's law - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And no, Quake, DOOM or Unreal Tournament aren't in that list of games, and will never be.

Last edited by PcBytes on 2022-06-21, 12:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 49 of 52, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ynopot wrote on 2022-06-21, 12:03:

God forbid someone tries anything that is not a cookie cutter MVP3 Voodoo 3 box 🤣

I should really put together a troll Socket 7 system sometime, just to piss you off.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 50 of 52, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ynopot: you have to understand that not everyone cares about performance improvements and fine tuning. As PcBytes said, he's already happy with his current performance and all of his games run at what he considers acceptable framerates. So even though I do agree with your suggestions.... they're still just suggestions, not actual laws; not everyone is interested in squeezing every last drop of performance out of their system.
As you saw, I already made some similar recommendations to PcBytes at the beginning of this thread, but once he explained that he's happy with the way things are, I accepted it and moved on. So... no need to act like jehovah's witnesses, man! You must learn to let go! 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 52 of 52, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, me too!
This is really appropriate to that conversation. But it really shouldn't end like this.
So come on, be friends, respect each others attitude. Some like to optimize their machines like hell, others just like to have some fun in actually using it.