VOGONS

First post, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I transplanted the components of a very dirty old discarded Compaq machine to a clean ATX case, tested the rebuilt system, and played around with it a little. See also this post in the dumpster finds thread.

The only things I think are really worth noting about this system:

• The integrated audio has an S/PDIF digital audio output in the form of an RCA jack, right on the motherboard.
  • The motherboard has a legacy PCI slot in addition to PCIe slots.
  • The PCI bridge on this motherboard supports subtractive decode, which could be useful for certain legacy hardware compatibility.
  • For a system from 2008, it runs surprisingly silent, both the ATX PSU and the CPU cooler.

Otherwise, it seems like a pretty unremarkable system. Honestly though, now that I have reassembled the system in a newer case, and have confirmed it to be working like a charm, I don't really have a use for it. And after watching LTT's recent $69 gaming PC video, it's become even clearer that this system would hardly be worth anything.

I also did a little on-line searching to find out if charities would be interested in a system like this, but one (Dutch) charity that collects old computers and laptops for developing countries mentioned that only systems no older than 8 years are accepted.

Do you think anybody would be interested in it? Would it be worth putting on offer on-line, even for free pick-up? Or would it be better to just bring this old beast to a recycling center?

It's a dual core Athlon 4450e CPU with 2GB DDR2 RAM in an nForce 430 motherboard. Only 2 of the 4 RAM slots are currently populated, and apparently this chipset supports up to 8GB of RAM, which is not bad. The motherboard has multiple SATA connectors, as well as a legacy IDE connector, and even a floppy connector.

Despite the on-board nvidia graphics, the system also came with a GeForce 9300 graphics card, that I don't really have a use for either.

Perhaps this fits into a broader discussion about what's worth keeping and what's truly ripe for recycling.

I'm a big believer in the historic value of old computers, but this is just way too common a system, and I really need to start getting rid of stuff. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_20220918_170821_HDR_reduced.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220918_170821_HDR_reduced.jpg
    File size
    1.08 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    The system running in the replacement case.
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20220918_170835_HDR.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220918_170835_HDR.jpg
    File size
    1.91 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    The transplated components in the new case.
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20220917_143111_HDR.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220917_143111_HDR.jpg
    File size
    1.78 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Testing the components, before installing them into the new case.
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20220820_174000_HDR.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220820_174000_HDR.jpg
    File size
    1.27 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    The salved components. I also salvaged the backplate and the Windows license sticker, even though they're missing from this picture.
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20220820_152122_HDR.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220820_152122_HDR.jpg
    File size
    1.03 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    The original, now discarded, Compaq case.
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

General rule: office-like PCs are not worth keeping and nforce chipsets were always poor in legacy support department. Plus it's probably a ticking time-bomb anyway, due to infamous Nvidia bumpgate.
But hats off to Asus, you can officially insert Phenom II X6 into that thing!

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 7, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So you've got an Asus M2N68-LA (made for HP/Compaq) instead of M2N68 or M2N68-AM (retail versions with very different designs). Asus don't have M2N68-LA driver support on their website; you might have to check HP/Compaq for BIOS and drivers, although I wouldn't hold my breath for them.

IMHO if the MB has any defect (e.g. a bulging capacitor) then it's not worthy keeping.

Reply 3 of 7, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Although this might sound complicated, you're much better off taking the Vendor and Device IDs for each triangle you'd see in Windows, and looking for the drivers that way.

Sounds a bit tedious but I managed to find a lot of drivers this way.

As for caps, they're easy to replace.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 4 of 7, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd personally keep it you can make nice compact XP system being it's matx. I've used alot of Nforce systems and I've had no issues with stability or performance.

Reply 5 of 7, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

did you get rid of it?

you're right about charity - they are onnly interested in relatively modern things

this old pc could still be fine online with a suitably light linux even with 2gb ram

always seems a shame to lose something that could still do things, but if not then we'd end up with 100 random computers in our living spaces

Reply 6 of 7, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, indeed I haven't gotten rid of it yet. And as luck would have it, I suddenly have a use for it.

I've been wanting to capture and digitize VHS tapes, but found the available USB-based solutions out there lacking. I want to be a perfectionist about this, and capture the original analog video in the most lossless way possible, so without any de-interlacing or lossy compression in between. Yes, I know the video quality of VHS is pretty crappy to begin with, but I don't want to degrade it any further. 😅

Then I suddenly remember I still have a couple of Hauppauge winTV PCI cards with the trusty BT878 chip, which will do that job nicely, including the ability to capture the original interlaced stream over an S-Video connection. And they work in Linux out of the box.

Of course that would require a computer with at least one legacy PCI slot, which this old beast still has. So I'll slap in a large SATA hard disk as well as one of those Hauppauge cards, and Bob should be my uncle (figuratively). 🙂

I also have an Asus Xonar PCIe sound card, which I'll probably put in the machine as well, to capture the audio. It might give better results than the on-board sound capturing capabilities of the nForce 430.

This machine should be beefy enough to take the uncompressed audio and video streams from the capture card, and compress them with lossless codecs, such as FFV1 and FLAC, and write them out on the fly.

I'll let you know how it went!