VOGONS

First post, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's been a while but I've learned lots over the past 2.5 years and have since built multiple vintage PC's. It can be an expensive hobby if you don't have access to people's old computers

My dream vintage PC finally completed earlier this year:
CPU: Pentium III 900mhz/256k cache/100mhz fsb
RAM: 512MB PC133 (Running at 100)
Mobo: ASUS P2B Rev 1.10
GPU: Voodoo 3 3000
Sound: Ensoniq AudioPCI 1370 (Win98), Ensoniq Soundscape S2000 (For General Midi), Soundblaster 16 CT2800 (For OPL3 and older Dos compatibility)

This is why the ASUS P2B motherboard is so awesome. Because you can do this with it! A Pentium ii slot 1 mobo running a P3 Coppermine socket 370 cpu at 900mhz 100 FSB. 1.7v with an FC-PGA adaptor. Good for Dos games and win 98. Gotta love those Isa slots!

Attachments

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 1 of 5, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dos 6.22 installed on 2nd HDD. All soundcards connected with 3.5mm cable through line in and out. All work perfectly. In DOS, just had to edit the Soundscape initialization batch file so that it did not set variables for SB emulation. Disabled SB emulation in the soundscape.ini file.

Here is my 3D Mark 2000 result.

Attachments

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 2 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a very nice system which should be highly compatible with every game you throw at it.

I would possibly suggest replacing that Ensoniq Audio PCI with a Sound Blaster Live! card for a better EAX experience. While the Audio PCI cards do support EAX, they only do so in software, which puts additional stress on the CPU. Proper, hardware accelerated EAX from a SBLive card would also sound slightly better.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 5, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-01-22, 11:29:

That's a very nice system which should be highly compatible with every game you throw at it.

I would possibly suggest replacing that Ensoniq Audio PCI with a Sound Blaster Live! card for a better EAX experience. While the Audio PCI cards do support EAX, they only do so in software, which puts additional stress on the CPU. Proper, hardware accelerated EAX from a SBLive card would also sound slightly better.

The audio pci is great for dos compatibility if needed. plus they are cheap. Best budget option for building DOS gaming rig.

Reply 4 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sly_Botts wrote on 2023-01-22, 17:21:

The audio pci is great for dos compatibility if needed. plus they are cheap.

I don't recall the Audio PCI's DOS compatibility being any different than that of the SBLive. But it's been a while since I last used mine, so I could be wrong. In terms of pricing, Audio PCI cards are only marginally cheaper than SBLive cards here in Europe, but this may be different in other parts of the world I suppose.

Best budget option for building DOS gaming rig.

As long as one doesn't care about FM synth music. The emulation that Audio PCI cards use for that sounds absolutely dreadful. But as a SB16 and General MIDI device, it's fairly decent indeed.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is hard to beat a Slot 1 rig.
Late dos/ and most of Win9x era covered.
The whole cartage style CPU is kind of special.
BX chipset is about as stable as you'll ever get and the P2B is a very nice example of a BX board.
The V3 is always nice.
Having 2 Ensonic cards is kind of cool. I agree the AudioPCI isn't anything special but have it onboard on 2 Win9x PC's and It's not that bad IMHO
I'd guess a 900Mhz cpu will have enough grunt in reserve for EAX requirements.
Even back in the late 90's I had a SB16 for dos games in my P2 400 so it's even period correct!