User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My objective was to build Windows 95 / DOS machine to use as

• MOD music player
  • make some MIDI, MOD music
  • play games
  • sporadically use it as a stationary type writer

Instead of going through the entire build process, I utilize the Digital Venturis FX-2 machine. I mainly choose DEC because of its great sentiments for DEC company.
MY FX-2 comes with P166MMX, Onboard S3 Graphics, 32MB of RAM, 8GB Hard drive, 3Com Etherlink III ISA card. But, unfortunately, it doesn't come with a CD drive or Music Card.
I started my build with the cleaning process and replaced two old fans. It was easy to find a replacement, one fan was regular 50x50x10mm, and the other in the power supply was 60x60x15mm.
As one of the main aspects of my build is music, I purchased Terratec EWS 64 XL and the MCCake MT-32 emulator for the Waveblaster slot. So now I have three different synthesizers (Dream, OPL FM, and MT-32) on the one card plus SB16 emulation.
All of it works under DOS And Windows 95.
Next was a graphic card as I wanted to play some dos games and still preserve support for some windows DirectX and voodoo glide application. I choose Indivision Voodoo Rush 4MB with an AT25 chipset. So when I sorted out the graphic card, I started to look into the storage. I purchased a 32GB mini SSD plus 2.5 adapters. As I would like not to hear any mechanical drive sounds. With that, I added Philips rewriter CDD 3610 and some more RAM, pushing it to the 128MB of ram.
My last addition was 233MMX Pentium, which doesn't change much in this build. But it makes me happier that I maxed out my CPU.

So, I end up with below config:

1. Digital Venturis FX-2 machine
  2. Pentium MMX 233 Mhz
  3. 128MB RAM (2*32, 1*64)
  4. 32GB SSD + 3.5" adapter
  5. Terratec EWS 64 XL with MCCake MT-32 (ISA)
  6. Innovision Voodoo Rush AT25 4MB (PCI)
  7. 3Com Etherlink III (ISA)

I'm pretty happy with it. However, I am still wondering if that is the best graphic. Does it work better under Quake I when I swap for some Riva 128 on a PCI slot?

Below, you can find some photos.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like DEC, never owned one but the ones I came across always felt like had high level of build quality.

The Voodoo Rush is a funny card. For dos your actually better off using the onboard S3 video The Riva 128 is also strong here
D3D games The Rush will be slightly faster then the S3, The Riva 128 is the clear winner though.
Glide is where the Rush wins, but even this isn't a clear win as compatibility isn't as good as a Voodoo 1.

With all that said If the Rush works with all your games I'd keep it. Makes your build somewhat unique and is 100 times more interesting then an old Nvidia card.

Reply 2 of 6, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice build! How are you liking the EWS64XL so far? Don't see people using that card too often lately.

I own one, and it's a pretty cool card, but damn my headphone jack is noisy 😀 Maybe I'll give it another go after shielding the cables with tinfoil or something.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 6, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sndlbn wrote on 2023-01-31, 18:21:
My objective was to build Windows 95 / DOS machine to use as […]
Show full quote

My objective was to build Windows 95 / DOS machine to use as

• MOD music player
  • make some MIDI, MOD music
  • play games
  • sporadically use it as a stationary type writer

So, I end up with below config:

1. Digital Venturis FX-2 machine
  2. Pentium MMX 233 Mhz
  3. 128MB RAM (2*32, 1*64)
  4. 32GB SSD + 3.5" adapter
  5. Terratec EWS 64 XL with MCCake MT-32 (ISA)
  6. Innovision Voodoo Rush AT25 4MB (PCI)
  7. 3Com Etherlink III (ISA)

i'd say you met the objectives! a very nice looking set up too with impressive specs for the era

Reply 4 of 6, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote on 2023-02-01, 12:59:

Nice build! How are you liking the EWS64XL so far? Don't see people using that card too often lately.

I own one, and it's a pretty cool card, but damn my headphone jack is noisy 😀 Maybe I'll give it another go after shielding the cables with tinfoil or something.

I used to use the (internal) Digital out on the Panel and route it into an audigy. It sounded really nice like that. The Headphone jack is noisy as hell though!

Reply 5 of 6, by sndlbn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My first choice was AWE64 Gold. However, I was not satisfied with MIDI Soundfont's quality in DOS games, so I started looking for something that could give me "better quality" sound plus DOS capabilities. I found this card attractive as it has two different synthesizers, FM and Wavetable, based on DREAM out of the box. To add, it also has a Waveblaster port (I'm using it for MT32 emulation). So it has far more abilities on one ISA port than any other card. Additionally, it has SPDIF output which I use to drive better headphones, through an external DAC and amplifier. As you said, the headphone jack is very noisy, and as far as I realized this I switched to the spdif port.

Reply 6 of 6, by sndlbn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As you may see in the last photo, it is my choice. Unfortunately, I'm using SPDIF and external DAC with a headphones amplifier. Also, I couldn't find separate volume control for headphone output, but it could be that I'm missing something.

Bancho wrote on 2023-02-01, 15:21:

I used to use the (internal) Digital out on the Panel and route it into an audigy. It sounded really nice like that. The Headphone jack is noisy as hell though!