VOGONS

First post, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is my current project: restoring and upgrading a Fujitsu siemens scaleo 400 from 2002.
This was my mums first computer, which she bought from the now defunct Comet, a UK electricals shop reminiscent of Tandy's or Dixons, but larger like Currys/PC world, somewhere in the last quarter of 2002. For £699 (or was it £599? i'll ask if she has the receipt for it) she got a complete system with PS/2 mouse, keyboard and a 151e/c500 monitor.
The PC itself:
intel 2001 chipset
1.7ghz celeron on socket mpga478b
20gb seagate ide st320014a
dvd-rom and 3.5 diskette
connexant pci modem
1x 128mb
micro ATX tower case
3x pci slots 1x cnr (agp is absent)
windows xp home edition
other things she later upgraded was a goodmans LCD to replace the bulky 151e, an epson printer, a freecom classic usb dvd-rw and a canon canoscan lide20 flatbed scannera and she used this thing until it was stricken by some malware from the USA (possibly code red) in either 2007 or 2008. she paid some cowboy to fix it and remove the malware but after that it's boot times became unbearably slow, so she left it in dads shed and bought an acer sa90, which was a truly awful towering inferno of malfunctioning crobblespew. the epson was also regrettably replaced by a lexmark with the most dullest of colour output.
-
some 8 or 9 years later they clearout the shed and mum asks me if i want her old scaleo 400, and sure i did.
first problem was, it wouldn't power up, so i find out the PSU is dead (i think it was 80w or 180w) i bought a new replacement for £9. it's not an exact replica as the new one has added sata connectors - i'm happy anyway.
I wondered for sometime if the firmware was corrupt, but the real cause for the slow boot was the ram, which is labelled a 222mhz. (or was it 266mhz?)
removed that and added a matching pair of infineon cl3 ddr400 256mb sticks.
now booting windows xp.
I spend a while cleaning the registry, cringing at childhood photos and a history of internet services from BT, wannadoo, freeserve and orange. then i find another problem: cannot read from DVD or diskette. I also find that i can't reliably boot from these mediums either.
I replace these drives with known working ones, same errors again. I tweak the bios and still nothing fixes.
This has to be an error in either the bios or controller, it boots fine from the hard disk, but not the DVD/diskette (so flashing the bios will be tricky)
I find a box of dip-switches on the mobo next to the ide ports... what do these do?
-
I search the fujitsu support site https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexDownload. … lng=en&OpenTab=
and guess what: the mobo manual it gives me is incorrect for my system. the pdf here is from 2004 and has lga775 + agp - totally wrong.
so obviously it seems scaleo 400s were revised to have the latest cpu at the time of purchase, either the athlon/sempron/duron or the pentium4/celeron until the 400's discontinuation in 2004.
Then i go searching for the 2002 mobo manual and check https://web.archive.org/web/20030210124227/ht … com/homepc.html
Failure prevails even when i search https://web.archive.org/web/*/www.fujitsu-siemens.com*
Does anyone have the manual for this 478b mobo or at least knowledge of these dip switches?
Thanks, more retro eye-candy pics will follow

Attachments

I manage a pot-pourri of video matter...

Reply 1 of 9, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This might ID the board a little better:

Attachments

• 20140227_210955.jpg
    Filename
    20140227_210955.jpg
    File size
    915.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a D1420 (it's on the white area). I don't know what the dip switches are for, but other FS boards from that era may have the same settings. Perhaps better to at least not change them for now as they may be related to factory settings or something.
It's not a printer and it's also not an audiovox (whatever that is 🤣).

I could find posts from 17 years ago of people asking whether anyone has a manual for that board.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Vic Zarratt wrote on 2023-02-10, 04:09:
This is my current project: restoring and upgrading a Fujitsu siemens scaleo 400 from 2002. This was my mums first computer, whi […]
Show full quote

This is my current project: restoring and upgrading a Fujitsu siemens scaleo 400 from 2002.
This was my mums first computer, which she bought from the now defunct Comet, a UK electricals shop reminiscent of Tandy's or Dixons, but larger like Currys/PC world, somewhere in the last quarter of 2002. For £699 (or was it £599? i'll ask if she has the receipt for it) she got a complete system with PS/2 mouse, keyboard and a 151e/c500 monitor.
The PC itself:
intel 2001 chipset
1.7ghz celeron on socket mpga478b
20gb seagate ide st320014a
dvd-rom and 3.5 diskette
connexant pci modem
1x 128mb
micro ATX tower case
3x pci slots 1x cnr (agp is absent)
windows xp home edition
other things she later upgraded was a goodmans LCD to replace the bulky 151e, an epson printer, a freecom classic usb dvd-rw and a canon canoscan lide20 flatbed scannera and she used this thing until it was stricken by some malware from the USA (possibly code red) in either 2007 or 2008. she paid some cowboy to fix it and remove the malware but after that it's boot times became unbearably slow, so she left it in dads shed and bought an acer sa90, which was a truly awful towering inferno of malfunctioning crobblespew. the epson was also regrettably replaced by a lexmark with the most dullest of colour output.
-
some 8 or 9 years later they clearout the shed and mum asks me if i want her old scaleo 400, and sure i did.
first problem was, it wouldn't power up, so i find out the PSU is dead (i think it was 80w or 180w) i bought a new replacement for £9. it's not an exact replica as the new one has added sata connectors - i'm happy anyway.
I wondered for sometime if the firmware was corrupt, but the real cause for the slow boot was the ram, which is labelled a 222mhz. (or was it 266mhz?)
removed that and added a matching pair of infineon cl3 ddr400 256mb sticks.
now booting windows xp.
I spend a while cleaning the registry, cringing at childhood photos and a history of internet services from BT, wannadoo, freeserve and orange. then i find another problem: cannot read from DVD or diskette. I also find that i can't reliably boot from these mediums either.
I replace these drives with known working ones, same errors again. I tweak the bios and still nothing fixes.
This has to be an error in either the bios or controller, it boots fine from the hard disk, but not the DVD/diskette (so flashing the bios will be tricky)
I find a box of dip-switches on the mobo next to the ide ports... what do these do?
-
I search the fujitsu support site https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexDownload. … lng=en&OpenTab=
and guess what: the mobo manual it gives me is incorrect for my system. the pdf here is from 2004 and has lga775 + agp - totally wrong.
so obviously it seems scaleo 400s were revised to have the latest cpu at the time of purchase, either the athlon/sempron/duron or the pentium4/celeron until the 400's discontinuation in 2004.
Then i go searching for the 2002 mobo manual and check https://web.archive.org/web/20030210124227/ht … com/homepc.html
Failure prevails even when i search https://web.archive.org/web/*/www.fujitsu-siemens.com*
Does anyone have the manual for this 478b mobo or at least knowledge of these dip switches?
Thanks, more retro eye-candy pics will follow

Sorry, on a quick search I could only scare up the German version for the D1420 (sure you'll get the drift), but based on the doc code in the page footers its most likely an OEM / option version with the D1421 which is a much easier find all round - the DIP switch settings are shown in both.

Not sure on your other issues, but I've attached the D1420 BIOS history & manual from FS Support just in case something jumps out.

Filename
A26361-D1420-Z120-DE.pdf
File size
1.01 MiB
Downloads
44 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
A26361-D1421-Z180-UK.PDF
File size
249.87 KiB
Downloads
42 downloads
File license
Filename
FTS_DESCRIPTIONFORBIOSUPDATED1420V406R10514__26865.TXT
File size
5.76 KiB
Downloads
46 downloads
File license
Filename
FTS_BIOSSetupV406DescriptionEN_10_1077899.PDF
File size
2.33 MiB
Downloads
44 downloads
File license

Reply 4 of 9, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-02-10, 22:07:
Sorry, on a quick search I could only scare up the German version for the D1420 (sure you'll get the drift), but based on the d […]
Show full quote

Sorry, on a quick search I could only scare up the German version for the D1420 (sure you'll get the drift), but based on the doc code in the page footers its most likely an OEM / option version with the D1421 which is a much easier find all round - the DIP switch settings are shown in both.

Not sure on your other issues, but I've attached the D1420 BIOS history & manual from FS Support just in case something jumps out.

A26361-D1420-Z120-DE.pdf
A26361-D1421-Z180-UK.PDF
FTS_DESCRIPTIONFORBIOSUPDATED1420V406R10514__26865.TXT
FTS_BIOSSetupV406DescriptionEN_10_1077899.PDF

No worries, you found the mainboard manual that i actually wanted! I can't thank you enough for that ) 🎉
The dvd-rom error is a little like something i often find on socket7 boards where one can always read the HDD perfectly but gets an error message when trying to access the cd, even if one uses an external IDE port, such a soundblaster IDE. whatever it is i think its caused by having a flat clock/BIOS battery.
EDIT: Read IDE/mobo I/O errors for more info on the quoted socket7 phenomena.
The quick fix to this is to use a SCSI setup, but i don't have any cables available for this rig, plus i want to keep this one as stock as possible.
Unrelated: pics of the BIOS/system info and the original software bundle + manuals

Attachments

• 20140228_223933.jpg
    Filename
    20140228_223933.jpg
    File size
    729.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20140228_044206.jpg
    Filename
    20140228_044206.jpg
    File size
    795.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Vic Zarratt on 2023-02-13, 03:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 9, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yesterday i downloaded the bios upgrade from the fujitsu support site, founf by searching "D1420" rather than the more obvious "scaleo 400"
once downloaded, i exectuted FTS_FLASHBIOSUPDATED1420V406R1051420_406105_26864.exe on my toshiba click and tried to write it USB floppy - no use with "write errors" regardless of the disks inserted. I called it a day.
today i copied the file to a usb stick and stuck it into my custom xp workstation that has an internal floppy fitted - eureka! the file writes its contents.
Back to the scaleo 400, we insert the new flash floppy and open the pc case - those dip-switches? according to both manuals for the german D1420 and the english D1421, sliding switch 2 to ON will force the next boot into "flash upgrade".
this is what i did:
1. Open up the PC and look at the dips, they should all be in the off position as that is how the factory would of left them at. To do a flash bios upgrade with a D1420 mainboard, you have to switch dip2 to ON position. to avoid the unknown risk of a data wipe-out, i removed the hard drive for peace of mind.
2. Reassemble PC and insert floppy, then switch on power - you will not see anything on your monitor, don't panic because this is normal, this PC will disable all unnecessary functions during this "switch2" procedure.
3. Watch the indicator light on your diskette drive and don't touch anything.
4. when the upgrade is completed, you will hear the speaker sing along the lines of "beepbeep... boop." and will keep on doing do until you switch off the power.
5. unplug the mains and open up the PC. Ensure that all 4 dip-switches are in the "off" position.
6. Viola! Switching on the power had the PC booting the DOS-based flash diskette! I remove the diskette and boot into xp, i insert the oem win98 cd and wow, it now reads the contents - mission accomplished.
The bios in my example has been upgraded from version 18/9/02 to 28/10/02 as seen below.
the other screenshot is from nssi060, which i ran before the upgrade documenting apparent hidden video modes that this computer is capable of displaying.
last photo is the stock mouse and keyboard for the scaleo 400, as well as the unused decorative side panels in blue and orange. the black ones have not yet been found...

Attachments

Reply 6 of 9, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And here it is, the micro-ATX tower case of the scaleo 400! I've worked out that it was purchased late november 2002.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 9, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Original stock components: RAM, modem and all 3 drives.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 9, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And here are my upgrade options: In keeping with the "Budget gaming in 2002" title, i imagined that i would of bought 2 creative products from last year at a discount, a creative nVidia geforce mx400 and a Live! 5.1 (SB0100) both are from 2001 and should tick all the feature requirements of the era (like hardware T&L etc.) up until 2004, even if not at the best speed/res offered by the top-end products at that time.
then i imagined that one year after buying the PC, i did another upgrade: quadruple the ram and buy a CD-writer/combined card reader.
The 40gb seagate HDD is just another option for running win98se, i wouldn't of bought that in 2003 unless i found out very early on that max payne won't run under XP.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 9, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About the combo unit: searching google doesn't do much, so i'll let the AI pick this text up for others to find.
It's BTC branded and it's called a "Digital Dual" - it writes CD-RW discs and should read SDcards upto 2GB in size, but no more than that. It's model number is BCE5232Ia.
Some of you vogoners might know BTC for selling PCI videocards featuring the now much-desired ARK logic chipsets.
Despite this, the drive itself is made by Top Glory electronics, otherwise known as Top-G, in december 2003.
The CD section is IDE, while the card section is surprisingly a 5pin USB header, not the more common 10pin variety, meaning you should be able to hook this up to the oldest USB hosts there are, such as the intel 430VX mainboards.
it even has a play/forward button, so one can listen to CD's without a redbook play program! all in all, an all-round nice little drive.

Attachments