VOGONS

Period correct 1996 Pentium system

Topic actions

First post, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’ve been thinking about building a Pentium system for a long time. And I was actually almost finished building a Pentium MMX 233 system with Intel 430TX chipset based motherboard. So a good all-in-one retro system covering a wide range of games up to early 3D accelerated Windows 95 games. Then I found FIC VA-503+ that I wanted to use with AMD K6-2+ (unlocked to K6-3+) and that would have made the MMX system mostly unnecessary (just a place to hold some sound cards, I suppose). I disassembled the MMX system and I still haven’t build the FIC VA-503+ based system. I need a good case for it since I now know I just need to build a late (second half or maybe even a fourth quarter) 1996 Pentium Classic system mainly for DOS. I have a several good reasons targeting 1996 and avoiding parts released in 1997.

First, what is the difference between 1996 and 1997 Pentium systems? Pentium MMX was released in early 1997 and also the Intel 430TX chipset. Pentium MMX would be a very very good retro gaming processor because it can be slowed down in so many steps with SETMUL. With Pentium classic there is only cache control (but while testing this system, we’ll likely going to see it will be enough).

Pentium MMX is much more useful for 3D and DirectX so it definitely feels much more “Windows” than “DOS”. So that is why I want to use Pentium Classic. I could use Cyrix 6x86 as well but I prefer Pentium. I might run some benchmarks with 6x86L for comparison. I’m going to test different clock speeds anyway to know what gives most useful speed with L1 disabled (the usual OPL3 speed tests I’ve done with my 486 system, for example).

Intel 430TX does have something not available in 1996. UltraDMA would be the most wanted feature. But the TX chipset also comes with ACPI, completely useless for DOS but it does use IRQ2 unless ACPI is disabled. So possible compatibility issue for MIDI controllers. Nothing that couldn’t be avoided but I prefer a “clean” DOS chipset. I’m going to miss UltraDMA but that is not so useful for DOS and I’d had to install DOS bus master IDE drivers anyway for that (if I remember correctly).

So 1997 is much more about Windows and 3D. 1996 is about DOS. Sure, Windows 95 was available, but not really required for anything. Games were released for DOS etc. 1997 changed a lot of things.

So I think I have a very good reason to try to build a period correct 1996 Pentium system for DOS games. But I have more reasons. I got my first NEW PC in September 1996. I bought it with my own money I got from my first summer job. I spend all of it and it was not enough for new sound card or CD-ROM-drive so those came from my previous 100MHz 486 system (it had 40MB hard drive from my 286, ISA graphics card from my friends 286 and so on. Not exactly like a retro 486 systems you would build these days). And I had to sell the rest of the 486 system to get more money.

So my 1996 Pentium back then was like this:

• Pentium 120 MHz (very soon overclocked to 133)
  • DataExpert EXP8661 motherboard with Intel 430VX chipset
  • 16 MB RAM
  • ExpertColor S3 Trio64 graphics card
  • 1.2 GB Seagate HDD (believe me, this was HUGE compared to my previous computer)
  • Keytronic keyboard and MS Mouse
  • Forefront DH-1570 15” monitor

And from my previous computer:

• Logitech Soundman Games (very rare these days, I really wish I can found one again)
  • Funai 2x speed CD-ROM drive + controller card with Panasonic interface (it wasn’t connected to sound card, not sure why. Maybe I still had Sound Blaster 2.0 when I got the CD-ROM-drive).

That computer got graphics card and sound card updates later but I’ll write about those when we get to choose graphics and sound cards for this 1996 system I’m going to build now.

I really liked my 1996 system. It was so fast and so great (until Quake that was soon released)! I just recently found a DataExpert EXP8551 motherboad. It is a predecessor for 8661. The EXP8551 has FX chipset while the EXP8661 has VX. I’d be very very tempted to build this system using EXP8661 if I had found that one instead.

The system I’m going to build now and my 1996 system back then sure are going to have many similarities starting with the case. Because last summer I found exactly the same kind of case I had back then. It is a simple but great looking 1996 case. I wouldn’t even consider using any other case. Installing the FIC VA-503+ here just didn’t feel right. That is a last reason to build this period correct 1996 Pentium system.

Reply 2 of 85, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SETMUL does allow L1 cache enable/disable for Pentium Classic. Back in 1996 I had to go to system BIOS to do that. I sure wish there would have been SETMUL back then. ICD and ICE worked only for a 486 and not for Pentium.

Reply 3 of 85, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Here are pictures from the case I'm going to use

RyO5MCzANkwObGfQef6LhyGGVbJt7SAHYH-WrtvBIgPioZmReGKTzb1CI5eRHpdZOYI=w2400
NRQuxcIKTDUAyYAuZzzA00YsUIK-zhXb9DZz8Zow514i3gjorF2eKs4qEJWJj1FsODU=w2400
NNoBK65h7HDH6ecnGYNH1WipRucb_03yMMNbBqURmabjqMYJZhT2-2sfVU27KMHXfxs=w2400
ihIn2nz80zmpv9bKEWaXw3psGZCYQ2KsO4MIwuA6N2qzTWC4miz3iFRHPJ-JXAonnE4=w2400

It was rusted from the back but otherwise in decent shape. Power button was very yellow but not rest of the plastic parts. I retrobrighted the button, grinded the rust off and then spray painted grinded areas and whole back of the case. I like when case is white also from behind.

But I didn't find just empty case. It had a very good motherboard inside and that is what I'm going to use. It also had near perfect graphics card, that I'm most likely going to use (but we'll test that). It also had decent sound card but I'm not going to use that one (one of the SB16 vibras). I just wanted the case but got a whole lot more: an excellent start for building a 1996 system.

Reply 4 of 85, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
This is the motherboard, Asus P/I-P55T2P4

JiXovmQbzUQMT7Kx7O3QEuewmzqsKC4QXOAezbfR-tYJvYyOD9TwL7MG0O5GTJUg-yE=w2400
x6rqvhZs_Jl8rjzoeTnGKzdDbCjkXjhSGd93EPoqmg2_iwKNi5ShfS6-NY1JdVLzEZ8=w2400

And I'm already cheating a bit. That revision, 3.10, is from early 1997. But 430HX sure is 1996 chipset and that motherboard was originally released in 1996. So I hope nobody gets upset that there is a 1997 date code printed on bottom of the motherboard.

Intel 430TX is a 1997 chipset and not necessary the best Pentium chipset from Intel. Usually that title goes to the 430HX that I have here. HX is a professional chipset. Multi CPU support, ECC, RAM up to 512MB that can be fully cached, it is fast and stable etc. So lots of features I'm not actually going to need. In fact, for DOS system, TX and even VX are enough. But both can cache RAM up to 64MB only. No matter for DOS systems but Windows systems it does matter. I'm sure most VX systems didn't have over 64MB anyway but with TX that might not be the case. My friend had 80 MB (first 16MB that was later upgraded with 64MB DIMM), for example.

The motherboard came with two 60ns 32MB EDO SIMMs. I'm going to use those and add two more, although more than 32MB with DOS only gives problems. But my 486 has 32MB so this one must have more. I don't know if the two SIMMs are original since they did not contain any date codes. But they very well might be. And since I'm using HX chipset, then surely I need to use something to make this look better than TX. So 128 MB RAM will be a good amount. And I don't need to hunt rare and expensive 64 or 128 MB SIMMs.

The CPU under the heat sink is Pentium Classic 150 MHz. That is a bit odd here because of the 60MHz bus. Surely this motherboard would have deserved to be run at 66 MHz BUS. I'm certainly going to (but I'm testing the 75MHz with Cyrix and maybe I'll try to overclock Pentium as well). I'm thinking of using 166 MHz but I'll test 133 MHz as well. I don't have Pentium Classic 200 MHz. That would have been a 1996 CPU but I kind of don't like the idea of using a 200 MHz CPU on a 1996 system. But we'll test if the Pentium 166 MHz can be overclocked to 200 and run tests with it.

But before adding those two extra SIMMs, I need to add extra TAG RAM chip. Otherwise this motherboard will cache only up to 64MB. This revision already has 512k cache on board. It just needs the TAG RAM chip. The one soldered is 15ns so no need to use any faster that that.

But before going to CACHE, there are more issues. I need to make a battery mod for the DALLAS RTC. It just must be done but it is quite easy. Or would be but this one is soldered and I need to desolder it and add a socked. I need to be extra careful about the mod. See the other picture above. It is not trying to show the RTC but how well this motherboard is designed. Those VRM heat sinks are just perfect size so full lenght ISA cards can be used on every ISA slot. Really nice, although this motherboard only has three ISA slots. But it will be enough. So I need to be careful with the mod. I don't want it to prevent installing long cards.

Reply 5 of 85, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aitotat wrote on 2023-03-17, 07:08:

[*]1.2 GB Seagate HDD (believe me, this was HUGE compared to my previous computer)

I think I had the same HDD back in 1996. It was from their "Medalist" line, if I'm not mistaken. And yeah, that was a huge amount of space for DOS and Win 3.1 games. I remember being able to do a full install of Fallout from the CD when that came out, and still had room to spare.

It also had a very satisfying crunchy sound while working. Kinda subdued, and not as harsh as some of the drives from the later years (e.g. those crappy Quantum LCT things). That said, I wouldn't use one today for practical reasons, but I do remember it fondly.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 85, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hope I can do the RTC battery mod during next week and start running some benchmarks to see what is the optimum clock for the CPU. But before that there is also the TAG RAM issue. Well, actually I already have 15ns SRAM chip that can go there. According the manual 15ns or faster should be used. When looking at the pictures on retro web it can be seen that some boards have 15ns and some 12ns TAG RAM soldered. Is the 12ns better for some timings not reachable by 15ns? I don't know. But I ordered some 12ns SRAM chips from a Chinese seller. I know ordering those is unsafe and yes, that was the case. I don't know what I got but I sure noticed right away they are fake.

Chinese 12ns SRAM (or who knows what)

Zph_rRt0-9VS1CUpxOC0ybgBwrJptlLY0Ao5eSbYYGCZnlkvDPgGCOAk3g0aUMtDWaE=w2400
2KAqSBH5wY1JjHjAvRi1Ynhygyp8n7HrTnOJIIvQkzl0DYVO69aa9_nqUPuXwOAgOFA=w2400

They all looked identical on the top (all 10). They all have 1415 printed below chip model number. That alone was enough to know they were fake. But they looked like grinded and still contained some dust and other visible hints that original markings were grinded off. Under the chips there were different kinds of markings. Different fonts etc. So whatever these are, they sure are not all the same chips. With luck they are all SRAMs but I don't believe a second they are 12ns SRAMs.

So I'm going to use the known good 15ns SRAM I already had.

Reply 7 of 85, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your P120 system was a pretty decent configuration for the time. While not high-end, it was good balance of power for the money.
The item to have that year was an 8X CD-ROM drive...I probably would have paired that with a cheap ESS soundcard.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 85, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried to find a receipt from my 1996 computer but maybe this is even better. Here is the basic configuration and options with prices. These are from august 1996 when I ordered it. I got the computer in early September, if I remember correctly. I had also saved brochure from Forefront monitors.

ewdUOD3vHja_QyM1l27zqjTDTfc-bX-ce9gBCF1Fkj_CiZEZf_L_jbrgXS55LzKVZek=w2400
I6rcDprTBrDCq2bKnEmeqb-qGUJjob5uirZiPFfszaqglrcotKvNY6UH-fnLmgw-RlI=w2400
QsDDyFnhCKe6cPkst2GQ4o_15jnL3pvtFMqPiB2jjNOBapuYUljaQt4qV-mOlyBUmbE=w2400

Lets examine a bit about those prices and options. It can be seen that I excluded 16-bit ExpertMedia wavetable sound card (I wonder what model it was? Maybe one of those Opti-based card with wavetable included?), 4-speed Mitsumi CD-ROM-drive and Windows 95. Looks like Windows 95 would have cost about the same as the sound card and CD-ROM-drive combined. Those prices are Finnish marks, by the way.

So I would have paid 6800 FIM back then. Actually a bit less since I also excluded those Forefront speakers (those would have been nice, take a look at the Forefront brochure). So maybe this cost about 6700 FIM? In todays money that would have been 1741 €.

So price of the Mitsumi 4x-CD-ROM-Drive was 250 FIM (65€) and to get 8x Hitachi instead would have cost 300 FIM more, so the full price for a 8x drive would have been 550 FIM (143€).

Price of the ExpertMedia wavetable card was 350 FIM (91€) and to upgr...downgrade that to SB16 Value Edition PnP would have cost 200 FIM more. So price of the cheapest SB16 was 550FIM (143€), same as Windows 95.

Notice that the price difference between SB32 and AWE32 is 500 FIM (143€). Sounds like a waste of money but not possible to know since exact models are unknown. You could have got SB32 + Windows95 with the price of AWE32.

Reply 10 of 85, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually made some progress last night.

I installed a known good SRAM and two 32MB EDO sticks more and ran memtest.

J6sgqrW3npahv_CZFrikRiw87xUmX1loic_liv7QyYIP9U82dU8SaFAeR1pukxMPC2A=w2400

Looking good! No problems, except the RTC battery, of course. It does not even allow to save settings. As soon as I exit BIOS setup, default values will be loaded. But it was enough to boot from a floppy.

Reply 11 of 85, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/1996.php

😃🤞

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 85, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RTC battery mod is complete

oMvjaidYow0Vkf15_xFN9Bl5LHWqJ5hKri8adcOxFe0DZGNi4K1AAm_ftXl1CtahLuo=w2400
vGt9bGhU2TTEQCOvHyi6-mu6vAktzCO11wMwbeaB1crs649OeEcpvhJVjIdjDqekXpc=w2400
uQVympPmUJd2ijwd8b79kdjTc4AqMXXXeR9mkq05ygV-mrG1GY3SPHgkx0erDJ5IxvI=w2400
CFWJFO-bao4NfVJafLQr-LZcFr3Fe7YO0pIRqQRXV2I8GCBYsS_bOG4N6u2Oqdiarq8=w2400

And as can be seen, it does not prevent using long ISA cards on any of the slots. I could't glue one of those typical battery holders to the RTC since it would have blocked one of the ISA slots. I could have glued one on the side of the RTC so that the battery holder goes over the motherboard. But it would have been risky since motherboard might have not fitted inside a case anymore. But this is a good result. I should have used a longer wire so I could have taped the battery holder on the bottom of the case. That would have made battery replacement very easy. Now, in worst case, I might have to remove ISA cards and maybe even the DALLAS as well when replacing a battery. But at least it is now on a socket.

Now what is the long card that appeared on one of the pictures above?

This arrived yesterday

sWbT_z5uLObCuAMNF0_KHVarJZ-mtG4WiECdXRQKNsRWqnge8AZNkWixlq7bTEJqDmg=w2400

I wanted to build a period correct 1996 system. What exactly is period correct and what is not?
Is GoldLib period correct for a 1992/1993 build? It is a recreation of Adlib Gold and requires those old chips. But GoldLib cards are made in 2022 or 2023. What if you, for example, recap some 1996 sound card? Does it stop being period correct since it now has new capacitors? That can't be true, otherwise fixing things would somehow be a bad thing. So if fixing is OK, then what about building a new clone card? I would accept GoldLib as a period correct sound card for a 1992/1993 system.

But Orpheus II does have a problem here. That Crystal chip is released in 1997! No problem with the Interwave but that Crystal CS4237B is too new for a 1996 build. But it has the same features as CS4236B + 3D sound that nobody wants to enable anyway? Is it okay if we keep 3D sound disabled and pretend this is a CS4236B ? I think this kind of thinking is cheating.

By the way, the sound card that came with this computer is:

CT2960

DOVopmwKd709Fm14ywl3ywKjQbFLCXoVhDEdqqXwnarIeEQ85bb12534XSKobgIV5nE=w2400

It has a good sound quality because of the Vibra chip. But the CT2505 Vibra does have CQM integrated in it. Then there are all the MPU-401 bugs as well as all the Vibra bugs. So you got the computer with that in 1996. A mistake that maybe had to be corrected in 1997 so a new better sound card is bought... And that way we can accept a sound chip from 1997!!! I know, I'm still cheating. But we'll look real 1996 sound card options once we get that far. And that Orpheus II might end up in the SS7 system. I don't know yet but I'm going to try it on this system first.

Reply 13 of 85, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now that the CMOS settings can be saved again, it is time to choose a CPU. I want to do all the CPU tests on a test bench so it is easier to access jumpers and change CPUs. I'm going to test Pentium 133, 150 and 166. Just for comparison, I think I'll test MMX 166, 200 and 233. And Cyrix 6x86L pr200+. I would have very much liked to test Pentium Classic 200 as well but I do not have it. Pentium 166 was multiplier locked (I tried) so best I can do is to test 75 * 2.5 = 187 MHz. It will most likely be faster than 200 would have been.

First thing to do is to find a fastest possible memory timings for the CPU tests. And 75 MHz bus turns out to be a bit problematic. I started memory tests with memtest86 3.5. I had the disk close. It is a good version since it works on a 386. Somewhere during the testing I decided to use memtest86+ (some 4.x) and it started to reveal problems. In fact, even the BIOS defaults for 60ns had errors. I need to do more testing. Nothing was overheating, although the RAM and chipset got warm. Cache chips didn't even get warm but maybe memtest disabled L2 cache. I was surprised how cool the overclocked CPU was. After all the testing, I removed the heatsink to try how hot the CPU was.

Next I need to test the SIMMs one pair at a time in case the other pair just does not like 75 MHz. Or maybe I should do the memory testing with 6x86 since it is meant to be used with 75 MHz bus.

Reply 14 of 85, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found out what the problem was. The tested 166MHz CPU is one of those that use "VRE" voltage. So 3.5V instead of more typical 3.3V. No wonder there were problems since the CPU was undervolted and overclocked at the same time. AMD and Cyrix have properly printed voltage requirements on the CPU but it is not so easy with classic Pentiums.

Now 60ns default timings work fine and I can continue finding fastest stable settings.

Reply 15 of 85, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Memory testing continues but not without problems. Faster timings (faster than the 60ns default) produced single error with the Pentum 166@187MHz. It might have come at the second pass so quite random error. So I decided it is better to test with non-overclocked CPU. I could have used the Cyrix but that v4 memtest likely uses Pentium instructions not supported by Cyrix 6x86. So I skipped that and decided to test with Pentium MMX 233. It is not multiplier locked so I can use 75 x 3 = 225 MHz.

I also updated BIOS to the latest. I should have done that from the beginning as it might affect those timings. Motherboard had version #401A0-0109. There is 0207 with patch to support drives up to 128 GB. I decided to use that. I tried 3 different versions of awdflash but couldn't flash the chip, or more likely awdflash couldn't identify it for some reason. I had to use EPROM programmer instead. It didn't support that flash either since my programmer is older than this system I'm building. But I managed to flash it anyway as I found compatible Atmel flash settings that worked. This motherboard has Winbond flash in it.

Now I decided to test with L2 cache disabled in case it might affect the testing. Everything went really well.

Here are the stable settings for 75 MHz (with L2 cache disabled)

-LtIh2k3xkIjXqeKOx4SjkGHYblvXXRpIoKa0S0hXXOa-euhd5GC9RTX3lB_yAHx--Q=w2400

DRAM Turbo Read Leadoff must be kept disabled since Memtest does not even start with that enabled. But other than that, just excellent!

So just one more test with L2 enabled to make sure everything works. And errors right away. For some reason cache is not happy with those settings. Is it 75 MHz speed that is the problem? Is is one of those settings? Is it the extra TAG SRAM I installed? Now I must test those one thing at a time. Why can't things be easy for once?

Reply 16 of 85, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Here are fastest stable settings for 66 MHz (above) and for 75 MHz bus (below)

aNri0WA426cuBh1HxoZSMXB719vt9K_VVd7D8y-hWVAMEvO2YEXITchSEsnyk9Zeb9c=w2400
pIJuHMVHqWxwi9NsOK-OVQ0O5GZQYd4EmcppaSp0RwpQV7GmhFOA-C9Hi5yhpPSf9kQ=w2400

So there was just one setting that was too much for 75 MHz, RAS to CAS delay. It can be 2T for 66 MHz bus but needs to be 3T for 75 MHz bus. All other settings can be equal. Also it might need second memtest86 pass before the problems start to show up. So 2T for 75 MHz is just and just unstable. My guess is that the problem is with those 15ns TAG SRAMs. I'm sure 2T would be fully stable with 12ns SRAMs. I tried to remove the extra TAG SRAM I added but it did not change anything.

What do those BIOS settings mean. For excellent information, search PC engineers reference book on archive.org.

Here are what it says about those settings

Turbo Read Leadoff
Sometimes needed for faster memory, and disabled by default. When Enabled, the BIOS skips the
first input register in the DRAM when reading data, speeding up the read timings. In other words, it
shortens the leadoff cycles and optimizes performance in cacheless, 50-60 MHz, or 1-bank EDO
systems, but it is known to speed up those with a 512K Level 2 Cache and 2 banks of EDO (2X16,
2X32 Mb SIMMs), especially when copying data, such as when backing up a hard drive. However,
after a few hours of use, errors start in applications and when loading data from the hard drive,
especially when switching between applications. Suggest enable this for games, but disable otherwise.
See also Read/Write Leadoff.

DRAM Speculative leadoff
A read request from the CPU to the DRAM controller includes the memory address. When Enabled,
Speculative Leadoff lets the controller pass the read command to memory slightly before it has fully decoded the address, thus speeding up the read process and reducing latencies, including the cache,
DRAM and PCI. Disabled is the default. The "speculative" bit arises from the chipset's ability to
process what might be needed in the future, or speculate on a DRAM read address, so as to keep the
pipeline full. See also Read/Write Leadoff.

Turn-Around Insertion
When enabled, the chipset inserts one extra clock to the turn-around of back-to-back DRAM cycles.
More technically, the extra clock is added to the MD signals after asserting the MWE signal before
enabling the MD buffers, whatever that means. Disabled is the default, and best for performance. May
need to be on for EDO.

Read Pipeline
Pipelining improves system performance. Enable this when you have PBSRAMs installed.

Peer Concurrency
Whether or not the CPU can run DRAM/L2 cycles when non-PHLD PCI master devices are
targeting the peer device. That is, whether the CPU can use cache or system memory when
something else is going on, or talk to the busmaster controller and the card at the same time. This
speeds things by allowing several PCI devices to operate at the same time, or as near to it as possible.
Enabled is best for performance, but some cards might not like it.

PCI Streaming
Data is typically moved to and from memory and between devices in chunks of limited size, because
the CPU is involved. On the PCI bus, however, data can be streamed, that is, much larger chunks can
be moved without the CPU being bothered. Enable for best performance.

PCI Passive Release
This concerns the PIIX4 (PCI-ISA bridge), and the latency of ISA bus masters. When enabled, ISA
cards cannot stop the PCI bus using DMA mode. Put more officially, CPU-PCI bus accesses are
allowed during passive release, otherwise the arbiter only accepts another PCI master access to local
DRAM. If you have a problem with an ISA card, set it to the opposite of the current setting.

Chipset Global Features
Applies bus mastering to all PCI slots, assuming all cards are compatible.

So it is best to keep DRAM Turbo Read Leadoff disabled, so no need to worry memtest86 did not start with that enabled. I also disabled Turn-Around Insertion that I previously had enabled. Disabled is faster since enabling it adds wait states. And since it is disabled by default, there should be no need to enable it.

Just one setting, Passive Release, is something I don't know yet should it be kept disabled or enabled. It might be that ISA sound cards work more nicely with that one disabled. But we'll see.

So we now have 128 MB RAM with fastest possible settings. Great! Time to choose the CPU next. Lots of benchmarking to do next week... But before starting those, I should select some video card for the tests. I'm going to use the one that most likely stays on this computer.

It would be this one, and it is the one that came with this computer

ObC9OrTi21lvZWKDMyHgiRvi_wIgbB-ntnP3ZYLxL9fu21D4KWknAarY55TiuamAcNk=w2400

Surprised? It is just a typical Virge 325? Virge 325, yes, but not typical. This one is a hidden gem. You'll see when I put it against several other S3 cards and couple of other cards as well. But need to choose the CPU first.

Reply 17 of 85, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried to start the CPU tests yesterday and immediately ran into a problem. Nothing really new and I should have expected it. I was going to use a 6GB Hitachi Microdrive since I have one that already has all the benchmarks etc in it. And Doom immediately showed lots of pauses while running the test. This is because the Microdrive has power management enabled by default and system BIOS does nothing to disable it (although I did not even look if there is a setting for that). XTIDE Universal BIOS, that I have on my other systems, does disable PM by default so there are no issues with Microdrives. I was planning to use one of those CF-HDD drives I made previously for my 486 systems. They have CF-to-IDE-adapter and Toshiba 60 GB 1.8" HDD. The Toshiba requires Advanced PM to be disabled as well and XTIDE Universal BIOS does that also.

There are software solutions that could be made but I'll leave those for later. Next I was going to use a 120 GB Hard Drive. I have a quiet 5400rpm Samsung drive that would be very nice. Of course it won't be a period correct drive. A period correct drive would be 1.2 GB, 1.7 GB, 2.0 GB or maybe even a 2.5 GB drive. I'm not sure if there were larger IDE drives available in 1996. But those are all noisy. I like the head clicking sounds but not the noise that comes from spinning the drive. I think 8-10 GB drives started to be a lot quieter and I could use those (but they are not period correct). But not all manufacturers made quiet drives even by then. I don't know who started those but I know there are quiet 8 and 10 GB Seagates and a noisy 20 GB Maxtor, for example.

But for now, I think I should do the testing with a period correct drive. Then test later if that 120 GB drive shows much difference.

There is another possible issue with later drives and DOS. Those drives are not made for DOS. They have large, 2 or 8 MB buffers, and they rely that OS flushes the caches before powering off the system. It is very much possible that those later drives simply have unwritten data in their caches when you power off your computer from DOS. This is the reason why XTIDE Universal BIOS disables write cache by default.

But BIOS from this system almost certainly won't disable write caching. Some software could be made to disable write caching when starting DOS or some parking program to flush caches could be used before powering off the system. Or at least reboot the system once with CTRL-ALT-DEL before powering off since drive reset should flush any unwritten data from the drive cache. There should not be any problems with period correct drives. They typically have 128k cache and they likely flush it more frequently. Those drives had to be DOS compatible.

Reply 18 of 85, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, you could go to 32 MB in a 1996 system with Windows 95 B.
I've installed 32 MB in a standalone system for friends in 1996 with a Cyrix 6x86 P166.

I've preferred 32 MB / Cyrix P166 (133 MHz) over 16 MB / Pentium 150.

Due to the large RAM amount this system was more long lifed than expected because this was their first system that has been connected to the internet later.

Graphics card was a Matrox Mystique, but I've never seen any 3D game on this machine until its end.

Reply 19 of 85, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, it seems I'm a bit misplaced.

Your hardware seems to be more fitting to 1995 than to September 1996.
But I understand you have had to look on your budget due to your first summer job.