VOGONS

Reply 260 of 429, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ExplodingLemur wrote on 2023-10-20, 18:09:

The Pi Zero W is widely available, but not the Zero 2 W. Per the project page "Pi Zero (original) and Pi 1 are unfortunately too slow (even with an overclock) and unsupported."

Well i would say true before, not sure all countries but Europe did get big batches, here in Sweden it still a lot available and in Denmark.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 261 of 429, by janih

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tabm0de wrote on 2023-10-20, 20:42:
ExplodingLemur wrote on 2023-10-20, 18:09:

The Pi Zero W is widely available, but not the Zero 2 W. Per the project page "Pi Zero (original) and Pi 1 are unfortunately too slow (even with an overclock) and unsupported."

Well i would say true before, not sure all countries but Europe did get big batches, here in Sweden it still a lot available and in Denmark.

Yes, went to https://rpilocator.com/ to check availability and ordered a Pi Zero 2W from Italy. There seems to be stocks quite well worldwide it seems.

Reply 263 of 429, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update: Finally got the last components in, and made the order. 🎉 The group-buy is closed. I updated the first post in this thread.

The LlamaBlaster sound card
ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 266 of 429, by bitterlemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Same here, just saw the video. Will follow the thread from now on to be notified about another batch.

@Elvind Thank you for all the hard work you do on bringing up new Win9x platforms in this age and big thanks to whole community for helping you achieve that!

BTW, any news on DPM's new SOM EX3 front?

Reply 268 of 429, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To everyone who missed the group-buy: just drop me a mail at orderitxllama@gmail.com and let me know you're interested, and I'll add you to my list. After I've completed the group-buy, I'll probably take a look at that list and if it makes sense do another order.

bitterlemon wrote on 2023-11-04, 11:53:

BTW, any news on DPM's new SOM EX3 front?

From what I've heard, we're talking spring 2024 if all goes according to plan.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 271 of 429, by janih

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Evan Thompson wrote on 2023-11-13, 02:56:

Would be interested in in what everyone is planning to use for a case.

I got an used Antec ISK 310-150 case for few euros. It is quite small, has a low profile expansion slot and a bay for slim optical drive. Case with full height expansion slot would have been better, but I have some low-profile AGP-cards and optical drives from old laptops that I will use in this build.

Antec ISK 310-150 is from around 2011 I believe. I've found cases from that era have the most suitable layout for this kind of machine. Most modern smallish mini-itx cases either lack the expansion slots, require riser cables, or are just too big. External bays are also gone in modern cases.

Reply 272 of 429, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im thinking of Velkase Velka 3 case which i can mod the front panel to add mt32-pi display and buttons, with a external slim usb optical drive that has audio out so i can get cd audio from games that requires it and hopefully works both dos and windows which would allow me to run with sata ssd instead of having sata port for optical driver which i also believe it will be hard to find a sata drive that have audio out ( i could be wrong ).

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 274 of 429, by piteball

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi from Sweden.

Would it be possible to connect a RPi Zero with PicoGUS firmware to the 40-pin connector? I would love to have working Gravis Ultrasound emulation, like in my youth when I was playing on my 486 with the GUS MAX I got as a christmas present from my aunt's husband who traveled a lot to US as he worked as a pilot. I hardly knew about SoundBlaster other than sbemu back then, it was years later when I upgraded PC that I got a SB AWE64 Gold as replacement.

Also if your planning on ordering more batches, sign me up for one. I'm marketing this motherboard to other retro fans, so I'm pretty sure the demand is gonna go up. 😀

Reply 275 of 429, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
piteball wrote on 2023-11-14, 20:24:

Hi from Sweden.

Would it be possible to connect a RPi Zero with PicoGUS firmware to the 40-pin connector? I would love to have working Gravis Ultrasound emulation, like in my youth when I was playing on my 486 with the GUS MAX I got as a christmas present from my aunt's husband who traveled a lot to US as he worked as a pilot. I hardly knew about SoundBlaster other than sbemu back then, it was years later when I upgraded PC that I got a SB AWE64 Gold as replacement.

Also if your planning on ordering more batches, sign me up for one. I'm marketing this motherboard to other retro fans, so I'm pretty sure the demand is gonna go up. 😀

Tjena! 😉

Sorry to disappoint, but the PicoGUS is based on the Raspberry Pi Pico (not Zero/Zero2) - and connected to the ISA bus. What the 40-pin connector on the ITX-Llama does is allow you to connect a Raspberry Pi 2/3/4/Zero2 to be used as a MIDI/MT32 synth - ie., converting a MIDI signal coming from the sound chip on the motherboard into analog audio. The Pi is not hooked up to the ISA bus at all.

I've had several people asking me earlier if I couldn't have integrated a PicoGUS onto the motherboard directly. The answer is, I sure could, wouldn't have been hard at all - BUT: unfortunately the Vortex86EX only has a single hardware DMA channel exposed on its slimmed-down ISA bus, and that DMA channel I'm already using for the sound card (the CS4237B).

If you want me to put you on the list for an upcoming batch, just send me a mail at orderitxllama@gmail.com 😀

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 276 of 429, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am wondering. Could it be possible to chain a DMA controller on than single exposed DMA channel ? 🤔
The IBM AT did that after all.
That could be way too complicated though, and maybe it could mess with some internal devices ... What do you think ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 277 of 429, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2023-11-14, 22:43:

I am wondering. Could it be possible to chain a DMA controller on than single exposed DMA channel ? 🤔
The IBM AT did that after all.
That could be way too complicated though, and maybe it could mess with some internal devices ... What do you think ?

First, let me preface this by saying I really don't have much knowledge about ISA DMA at all. But looking at the Vortex86EX datasheet, it seems the SOC does indeed have two 8237 DMA controllers integrated. There are several peripherals internal to the SOC that are using these. Our problem here is that the stripped-down physical ISA bus/pins coming out of the SOC only exposes the DRQ1 and DACK1 signals. I don't know if it's possible to cheat this somehow, or how even where to begin. Maybe someone more clever than me has an idea? In any case, it seems like a pretty long shot... 😉

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 278 of 429, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fluxrez wrote on 2023-11-14, 19:44:

Im trying to make it small. This one looks nice and sturdy but only will support low profile video cards:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805842035237.html

Nice,
Should be fine as there is few low profiles so it shouldnt be any problem as there is no reason to overkill it with a big gpu anyway.
Didnt think about looking at aliexpress 😉

naa, nothing yet...