VOGONS

First post, by Makavre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know is probably another run off the mill build, but I want to share it after finally receiving the last completing piece, one superbly done ENCOM badge (courtesy of mr. geekenspiel)

- QDI P5I430TX Socket 7 Board
- Pentium 133 MMX
- 98mb EDO Ram
- Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro
- Diamond Impact ESS Maestro 2
- Seagate 1282MB ST51270A

Is currently loaded with Win NT 4 but I have a second similar HDD with Win95 which will be used to load a few games.

Attachments

• IMG_2508.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2508.jpg
    File size
    174.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2507.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2507.jpg
    File size
    439.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2509.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2509.jpg
    File size
    273.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2518.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2518.jpg
    File size
    362.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

hjr39c-6.png

ykdd3y-2.png

Reply 1 of 7, by Makavre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tend to be a bit OCD with cable management 😜

Attachments

• IMG_2510.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2510.jpg
    File size
    308.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2515.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2515.jpg
    File size
    434.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2513.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2513.jpg
    File size
    259.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2511.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2511.jpg
    File size
    309.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

hjr39c-6.png

ykdd3y-2.png

Reply 2 of 7, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That’s a very nice looking build!

I usually wouldn’t opt to have a black CD-ROM drive in a beige case, but in this case it looks great, as it compliments the black panel on the front of the case! 😀

Very nice!

YouTube

Reply 4 of 7, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aitotat wrote on 2023-04-08, 09:14:

Why that much RAM? That chipset cannot cache above 64MB. And why EDO when SDRAM is supported? You should get best possible timings with any PC100 or 133 MHz DIMM.

Agreed, Win95 will suffer performance-wise with uncached memory ...

It's all explained here: http://www.redline.ru/~ipl/win2cache_eng.htm

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by Makavre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Irinikus wrote on 2023-04-08, 05:51:

That’s a very nice looking build!

I usually wouldn’t opt to have a black CD-ROM drive in a beige case, but in this case it looks great, as it compliments the black panel on the front of the case! 😀

Very nice!

thank you, i was really aiming for a "different" look and while it not may be period correct, the system needed to compliment the badge 😀

Why that much RAM? That chipset cannot cache above 64MB. And why EDO when SDRAM is supported? You should get best possible timings with any PC100 or 133 MHz DIMM.

the board actually supports up to 256mb and was planning to install an amd k6 2 (533AFX) but I ended up using the CPU on a different system (compaq 7470) but since the RAM brackets are really fragile (plastic) I decided to leave it as is to avoid board damage. And to be honest, I built this system to play Stellar7 which doesn't seem affected by ram timings or any other issues. So no practical use for better timings when is already serving my needs.

hjr39c-6.png

ykdd3y-2.png

Reply 6 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My OCD really likes the 2 Diamond branded cards, even though I know it actually makes makes no difference.
What you use NT4 for? I have a soft spot for the OS but struggle to find a use for it.

Why that much RAM? That chipset cannot cache above 64MB.

Yeh you get a slight performance hit in dos/9x, but really it's not like it makes a world of difference.
NT4 on the other hand will benefit greatly from any extra RAM.

Reply 7 of 7, by Makavre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2023-04-11, 10:38:
My OCD really likes the 2 Diamond branded cards, even though I know it actually makes makes no difference. What you use NT4 for? […]
Show full quote

My OCD really likes the 2 Diamond branded cards, even though I know it actually makes makes no difference.
What you use NT4 for? I have a soft spot for the OS but struggle to find a use for it.

Why that much RAM? That chipset cannot cache above 64MB.

Yeh you get a slight performance hit in dos/9x, but really it's not like it makes a world of difference.
NT4 on the other hand will benefit greatly from any extra RAM.

Honestly, I only have that OS because of nostalgic reasons ( I have a soft spot for it too)
and just as you said, I find no use for it, but only loaded it because I wanted to re-live my childhood.

The RAM performance hit is seriously barely noticeable specially if you run synthetic benchmarks with real hardware vs. emulated (pcem)
which is a nice alternative, but I personally really like the experience of running an OS in bare metal vs. an emulated environment.

Also, I don't have a youtube channel like the big players do (necroware, phill's lab, adrian's basement,...)to showcase things, so I only build systems for my own entertainment 😀

(i build systems in both ends of the spectrum)

Attachments

• IMG_1875.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1875.jpeg
    File size
    180.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_1874.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1874.jpeg