VOGONS

First post, by TOMMY_THE_DOG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By this point, I have amassed a large selection of nice soundcards, all of which I enjoy and appreciate on some level. I'm running low on space at home, and I really want to downsize to a single computer for my Windows 98/DOS gaming needs and another single computer for my XP/7 gaming needs.

This means that I really want to fit all of the best soundcards into my 98/DOS PC. ESS-Solo1, Yamaha YMF744, Vortex 2, and OPTi 82C931 are the ones that I already have. I want to put a good Crystal ISA card in there, too. I want one that uses their unique FM implementation.

My plan is to put this all into a socket 370 motherboard (which must feature AGP, 4 PCI, and 2 ISA slots) with my Geforce 2 GTS and Voodoo 4MB.

Is there any reason why this would not work? I do not want to use more than one card at the same time, but I want to be able to chose between them in Windows and DOS without having to open the case. I have good options for handling the multiple audio outputs, so that is not a factor for me. I know that people use 2 soundcards in a single build all of the time, but is 5 doable?

Reply 1 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Comes down to resources, even then you can get away with sharing IRQ's etc in some instances.
I forget the name but someone here did put in a crazy amount of cards and explained how he managed it, but it's definitely possible

Reply 2 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oof this is looking for trouble. Besides resources I can imagine software hell with things like attempted autodetection or TSRs.
Good luck with it though, I'm curious to learn how it went if you give it a go.

Last edited by konc on 2023-05-19, 17:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 10, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2023-05-19, 10:35:

Comes down to resources, even then you can get away with sharing IRQ's etc in some instances.
I forget the name but someone here did put in a crazy amount of cards and explained how he managed it, but it's definitely possible

I think it was carlostex iirc?
He had that crazy Sonic Ecstasy build with like 6 or 7 sound cards?

https://youtu.be/kk6nyrX4DK8?t=885

SE.PNG
Filename
SE.PNG
File size
1.58 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 4 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would be possible provided that computer has enough IRQ and DMA channels available. The only card that won't take any of these resources is the Voodoo Graphics card.

Speaking of crazy builds, Cloudschatze had a similar one named The MIDI General, being more oriented towards MIDI as the namesake indicates.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 10, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some industrial motherboards have nice quantity of slots and IRQ/DMA control in BIOS (without controls it maybe hard to configure).
PS. My new baby for such things

Attachments

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 6 of 10, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was able to do three cards in one system. It was doable in DOS because I could load the correct driver/TSR which then assigned the right IRQ and DMA . I had to sacrify a second COM port to get this all to work.

For 5 cards you'd probably need a good solution in software so you can disable and enable cards to take them out of the equation.

I would not recommend doing this for a PC that you want to work with regularly. You'll just run into all kinds of issues. It's a fun challenge to get it to work, but that's probably the only reason to go this route.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 7 of 10, by TOMMY_THE_DOG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I may need to revise my plans for this build, but the core goal is still the same: to have access to ESS, Crystal, Yamaha, and OPTi FM cards in the same machine. A secondary goal is for this to also play nicely with my Roland SC-880 and also my MT32pi over MIDI from a gameport on one of those cards.

I will first try to make this work on a Slot 1 440BX motherboard with a Via C3 CPU in a slotket (already have, with jumpers for "Cyrix"). There are many ATX motherboards of this type available with 3 ISA slots, 3 PCI, and 1 AGP. So I ordered one and it should be here next week.

Reply 9 of 10, by TOMMY_THE_DOG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have had some more time to work on this. I got my motherboard in, and ai tried running with five soundcards at once. The whole computer is unstable when I do that, and worse once the graphics drivers get installed. I pulled two of the cards and I have been able to make this current configuration work well so far. It is stable, and I can switch between default MIDI synthesizers for Windows in the Multimedia tab of the Control Panel. And they all work. However, if I try to switch the default output card (mixer) in that tab, I get graphical glitching and immediate instability. The solution to this, I think, is to simply use an external passive summing mixer and find a way to integrate it into this lovely full-ATX tower case. The system configuration is currently:

Pentium 3 700E slot 1
Intel BX440 (Biostar, ATX)
Voodoo 3 2000 PCI
Yamaha YMF744 DS-XG PCI (Aopen Cobra)
ESS Solo - 1 PCI (Teratec)
AWE64 Value
256MB Generic CL3
CD-ROM on IDE
SD2IDE interface for system disk
Windows 98SE

I had to disable the gameport on the AWE64 in order to clear up a conflict, but that was all. No one really needs 3 simultaneous gameports anyway. Windows is looking good, but now I need to do some DOS testing. My go-to for testing in Windows is the Sonic3&Knuckles collection, which allows a quick toggle between GM and FM mode before you start the game. It also has a great soundtrack that was written for FM synthesis. Also Age of Empires is an underrated MIDI soundtrack. It lacks the "soundtest" feature found in thr port of Sonic, though.

Reply 10 of 10, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AppleSauce wrote on 2023-05-19, 12:36:
I think it was carlostex iirc? He had that crazy Sonic Ecstasy build with like 6 or 7 sound cards? […]
Show full quote
chinny22 wrote on 2023-05-19, 10:35:

I think it was carlostex iirc?
He had that crazy Sonic Ecstasy build with like 6 or 7 sound cards?

https://youtu.be/kk6nyrX4DK8?t=885

SE.PNG

Yep that was me.

At that time it actually had 10(ish) sound cards (devices).

From that picture starting up to bottom:

1 - Ensoniq Soundscape S2000;
2 - Roland RAP-10;
3 - Orpheus 1 + Tiido XG DB card;
4 - MediaTrix AudioTrix Pro;
5 - Ultrasound PnP;
6 - Pro Audio Spectrum (dual OPL2);
7 - Creative Game Blaster;
8 - IBM Music Feature Card;
9 - Creative CT1920 AWE Upgrade (wired around back);
10 - Tandy LPT;

I since removed the RAP-10 and replaced the XG DB with FalcoSoft + VSTi (including MUNT plugin), the Ultrasound is also out because i've been testing an Orpheus 2 prototype. It would be actually nice to condense the Game Blaster + Tandy + Innovation SSI on a single card, if not the latter at least the Game Blaster + Tandy. We have so many clones now that it would be nice to cram that all into a single FPGA. Will probably take years until that happens.