VOGONS

First post, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've wanted to recreate the Sandy Bridge PC I built back in 2011 for awhile now, and was able to acquire, at least to the best of my memory, the original parts I used back then. However, my inner geek wasn't satisfied, and I went down the rabbit hole of "bigger and faster is better," so I bought all new high end (for the period) components, and what you see in the pictures below is the result. All of the parts are period correct with the exception of the case, case fans and power supply, and I was able to build it for a small fraction of what it would have cost back in 2011, due to this generation of components being dirt cheap right now. Being a circa 2011 PC, this will be running Windows 7 only. I was originally going to dual boot XP and Windows 7, but the Titanium HD sound card only works in Windows 7 and later. Tri-SLI is absolutely ridiculous and I understand it doesn't scale efficiently given the cost, but I got all 3 including the SLI bridge for under $100, so why not?

Specs:
Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus V (this is one bad arse motherboard!)
CPU - Intel i5 2500K (Sandy Bridge)
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (push/pull fans)
RAM - 8 GM G.Skill Sniper PC3 1866 MHz
Graphics - 3x EVGA Nvidia GTX 580 (tri-SLI)
Sound - Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Storage - 2x Team Group Vulcan 1TB SSD (one for install drive, one to store ISO images for mounting and playing games)
Optical Drive - portable USB DVD-RW
Power Supply - Corsair RM1000e (fully modular)
Case - Corsair 4000D Airflow (white)

sandy01.jpg
sandy02.jpg
sandy03.jpg
sandy04.jpg
sandy05.jpg

Reply 2 of 6, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2023-06-26, 04:53:

I wonder what a single card equivilent of 3x580 would be.

Maybe a GeForce 970 or 980 ish? Here's a comparison of a GTX 590 (which I think is the 2-GPU on a single board version of the 580) versus the 970...

OP, that is a crazy crazy computer. I'd be interested in what games you're playing and what kind of experience you're getting (framerates, frametime consistency, resolution/AA, etc). Cheers!

Reply 3 of 6, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jesus, I love that. It's so neat and spiffy. I can't cable manage worth a quarter of a damn.
Tell you what, when it starts getting chilly out, you should run some flexi-duct from your tri-SLI GPU exhaust to a return grill somewhere in your home. 😜

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 4 of 6, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bZbZbZ wrote on 2023-06-26, 05:29:
kolderman wrote on 2023-06-26, 04:53:

I wonder what a single card equivilent of 3x580 would be.

Maybe a GeForce 970 or 980 ish? Here's a comparison of a GTX 590 (which I think is the 2-GPU on a single board version of the 580) versus the 970...

OP, that is a crazy crazy computer. I'd be interested in what games you're playing and what kind of experience you're getting (framerates, frametime consistency, resolution/AA, etc). Cheers!

I actually haven't played any games on it yet. I just finished putting it together and installing Windows 7. Need to figure out what games I'm going to throw at it and see how that 3x SLI performs. Some highly demanding titles from 2011-2012. Also not sure if I'm going to run it on a 1080p monitor or go for 2k.

Reply 5 of 6, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd say 1080p as I am pretty sure with 1.5GB of VRAM you'll run out of that faster than you'll run out of GPU speed. Also I don't know where you're based but in the UK you can get a cheeky Xeon 1230/40 v1 (Sandbybridge) or V2 (Ivy) for about £20 for some 8 threaded goodness. I've been using a 1240 v1 for some Modern Warfare 2, Cyberpunk, Diablo 4 etc. just fine, on Windows 10.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 6 of 6, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, such a slick machine! Awesome job on that cable management. I daily drove a 2500k for almost 10 years but mine was nowhere as baller as yours. If you have the chance I'd like to see some benchmarks of that triple SLI setup.

Visit my YT Channel!