VOGONS

First post, by Pentiyum Tree

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

A little while back I wanted to build a "ultimate Piii system" and this site was a huge help in finding compatibility for building a Win98SE/XP SP3. So a huge thank you for keeping a place to store all the old info. The biggest help was in discovering Tualatin Piii's. Lots of diving on that to figure out which MB can run the thing and finding one on eBay that wasn't awfully priced from China. Finding a GA-60XET would have been nice but they are $$$ from China. Overclocking the Tualatin would have been nice to see. I heard they can get into the 2Ghz range and compete with P4's

I finished the build today by replacing the graphics card fan and cleaning it up. Looks almost brand new for a 2001 PC. Attached are some slick Nikon DSLR pics of the build.

Specs would be:

Tualatin Pentium 3 1.4Ghz SL6BY
512MB RAM Samsung 133Mhz (2x 256)
Gigabyte GA-60XT
EVGA 600 Watt PSU
Asus DVD Combo Drive (Startech SATA to ide adaptor)
Sony 3.5in Floppy
Samsung 860 EVO SSD (comes in handy when you run out of RAM)

[Add on cards in order]
ATI Radeon X800 Pro 25gMB DDR3 (AGP)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
NEC 4 Port USB 2.0
Linksys LNE 10/100
HighPoint RocketRAID 1720 SATA Host

Fractal Design Focus G Petrol Blue Case

Unused are 2x Maxtor 40GB hdd. One HDD has a bad section on it about 3.5gb are dead and the other one works perfectly with Win98SE on it. Model: 94098U8

A quirk I found is possibly the AGP cards with the PCIe to AGP bridge chip do not work in this MB. I bought a ATI X1950 PRO and it would not run on this MB. I think the X800 is the best card (ATI) that can be used since it has no bridge chip.
The X800 Pro also works on Win98SE fwiw.

So thanks again for the help and having this site. Hopefully someone finds this helpful and encouraging in building their own.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice build in any case, but little question: how does your FDD work when it's plugged in with an inverted cable? The cut and turned end of the cable is supposed to be plugged into the floppy disk drives connector, not the board (as you seem to have it).

Reply 3 of 4, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good looking computer! I've also had difficulty with bridge chip AGP cards... I found that some of these cards simply are faulty because the bridge chip fails, so maybe it's not your motherboard.

I believe the fastest AGP cards that work under Windows 98 are the ATI Radeon X850 (XT and Pro). However I suspect your X800 would be pretty much just as fast in practice, since you might end up CPU limited first.

Reply 4 of 4, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bZbZbZ wrote on 2023-08-18, 05:00:

Good looking computer! I've also had difficulty with bridge chip AGP cards... I found that some of these cards simply are faulty because the bridge chip fails, so maybe it's not your motherboard.

I believe the fastest AGP cards that work under Windows 98 are the ATI Radeon X850 (XT and Pro). However I suspect your X800 would be pretty much just as fast in practice, since you might end up CPU limited first.

A ti4600 gets necked by a 1.4s depending on the resolution I doubt the X800 is any different in that respect.