VOGONS

Tiny 486 build - SBC with ISA backplane

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 64, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've almost completed my audit of desired games on this mini 486 system and have the following figures:

- Total games installed: 213
- Games which start and are playable: 186
- Games with graphical issues: 8
- Games with speed issues: 20 (19 of which have been resolved via setmul or moslo - one remains which is too slow; Cybermage)
- Games which need a clean boot and don't like himem+emm386: 3
- Games with audio issues: 15

On the whole, it runs almost everything I have thrown at at. The big stand out audio problems are:

- None of the Legend Entertainment adventures (Gateway 1 + 2, Superhero League of Hoboken) work properly: they crash when used with SoftMPU for MT-32 support.
- Dune (CD): digital audio locks up the intro movie and narration
- Flashback: soundblaster support does not work at all
- Ringworld: cannot get MIDI to work at all
- Quest for Glory 4: cannot get MIDI to work at all

The graphics issues include:

- Captain Dynamo: screen flashing when scrolling
- Lemmings (several versions): palette issues part way through the screen - playable but doesn't look great
- Sim City Classic: looks like the VGA font is corrupted as the menus and text in EGA and VGA hi-res mode is all nonsense - fixed, this was a missing 8x14 font in the video bios
- Powerdolls: moving the mouse cursor makes the screen flicker
- Gateway: Animated images in the main UI cause the screen to be redrawn and flicker in time with their animation (e.g. the flashing light on your computer in the apartment is about 1-2Hz... and you see the UI screen being redrawn in time)

Most of the games work fine without needing to do anything with the speed of the system, almost all of those that have speed issues are resolved by turning the L1 cache off with setmul. Wing Commander (1) needed a little bit more slowdown so I added moslo /75 which made it almost perfect.

Attachments

Last edited by megatron-uk on 2024-04-12, 20:24. Edited 1 time in total.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 61 of 64, by winuser3162

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

this would be a killer system to bring to a DOOM lan party!

1:intel Core 2 Extreme QX 6700, 2X GeForce 8800GTX SLI, SB Audigy 2ZS, XFX 780i SLI, 4GB Corsair XMS DDR2, Custom Waterloop
2:intel Pentium MMX , ATI Rage 3D, SoundBlaster16, Diamond Monstor 3D, 60MB Ram, Asus P/1-P55T2P4, Dual Booted Windows 95 pLuS!

Reply 63 of 64, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the feedback; I've been wanting to build a tiny real-period-hardware system for some time now and I'm fairly pleased with how it has turned out!

There are a few tweaks left to make - get mtcp working and a few other things. But the main activity now will be to try to resolve those few games issues.

This one machine has replaced three full sized cases (286-20, 486dlc-40, p166), so not only have I now got a something entirely bespoke, but I have freed up a load of desk space and packed up a couple of dozen cables, leads and power supplies. I'm feeling a lot more 'zen' in my office now than just a few months ago!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 64 of 64, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For what it's worth, I've been playing Flashback lately and more or less gave up on trying to get it to work with the Sounblaster 'peasant version' Vibra 16. Fortunately for me I used to play this game on an IBM PS/2 55, so I actually prefer the PC speaker effects.

Anyway, looking really nice now and you can say with certainty that it's the only one like it on Earth.

90s PC: IBM 6x86 MX PR 300. TNT2 M64.
Boring modern PC: i7-12700, RX 7800XT.
Fixer upper project: NEC Powermate 486SX/25