VOGONS

Dual Slot 1 440FX build

Topic actions

First post, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The purpose of this build is to make a nice system, using mostly parts that I already have laying around.

Motherboard is a Tyan S1682, dual Slot 1, 440FX chipset:

S1.jpg
Filename
S1.jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

CPUs are two Pentium II Klamath, 300MHz, 512KB L2 cache:

S2.jpg
Filename
S2.jpg
File size
1.51 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

For RAM, two of these EDO sticks, 60ns, 64MB, ECC :

S3.jpg
Filename
S3.jpg
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The CPU fans were pretty gummed up, and heatsinks full of caked dust, so I decided to clean them and repaste the CPUs. When they made these CPUs they really didn't want anyone taking them apart 😀

S4.jpg
Filename
S4.jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The fan bearings were washed with IPA and properly lubed up after.

Video card is this nice miroMAGIC 80SV, S3 Vision968 with 8MB RAM:

S5.jpg
Filename
S5.jpg
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 40, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For 3D acceleration, this Quantum 3D 200SB seems a good match for the dual CPUs:

S6.jpg
Filename
S6.jpg
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Sound card is this Vibra 16. It's the only sound card I have, and I'll probably upgrade to an AWE32.

S7.jpg
Filename
S7.jpg
File size
1.96 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Storage:
CF to IDE adapter, plugged directly into the MB:

S8.jpg
Filename
S8.jpg
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And this Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller (I haven't decided on a HDD yet):

S9.jpg
Filename
S9.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

For network, this Intel S82557 card:

S10.jpg
Filename
S10.jpg
File size
1.91 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 4 of 40, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Regarding the case, it's a NZXT H7 FLOW RGB. I'd rather go with this instead of a period correct case. It will result in a clean build, with very good airflow and it's very easy to work on, all panels and many elements can be removed without any tools, and cable management will look nice 😀

S11.jpg
Filename
S11.jpg
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
S12.jpg
Filename
S12.jpg
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
S13.jpg
Filename
S13.jpg
File size
1.8 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Next to figure out is the power supply, I'd rather go with something new and modular, I just need to find one with high enough current on the 5V rail.
Also need to buy a PCI->USB card. While the motherboard has a header with two USB ports, those are USB 1.1 and I also don't have any bracket for that.

Reply 5 of 40, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the Obsidian sandwich hanging or bending a little, or is it an optical trick, the picture pulls on me?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 7 of 40, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Make sure you check the jumpers on that motherboard.

There are a bunch of them next to the ram slots that let you select between 3.3V and 5v memory.

Also, you should take the CPU heatsink apart - There are 4 little rivets that hold the heatsink to the cpu cartridge. They are actually HEX (or TORX) screws. You should be careful when removing them, as they were not exactly designed for heavy use.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9 of 40, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2024-02-26, 00:36:

Also, you should take the CPU heatsink apart - There are 4 little rivets that hold the heatsink to the cpu cartridge. They are actually HEX (or TORX) screws. You should be careful when removing them, as they were not exactly designed for heavy use.

As long as they have never been taken out, would they be a problem? They are pretty much not re-assemblable, though, as they are; more rivets than actual screws ... or somrene m something in between ...

The reason I could find to disassemble them would be to repaste between the cartridge's heat spreader and the actual heatsink.

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 10 of 40, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pentium 2 SECC heat sink removal

Here's a bit on those rivets/ screws

Reply 11 of 40, by mln

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome, a dream machine.
The only thing I am missing is a 5.25" bay and an optical drive. There are modern cases, like Fractal Pop, which still have that option.

I am looking forward for the completed build and benchmark results!

Reply 12 of 40, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@H3nrik V!
You're right, the Obisidian is already sagged. I'll make some kind of support for both it and the S3.

@luckybob
The jumpers are set correctly.
I thought those rivets look like a torx would fit in there, but was afraid to break them off while removing.
I'll remove them when I maintenance the CPUs again, which I think will be really soon.

One has a noisy fan, the other has a shot fan. The bearing is clearly bad, it makes a weird noise while spinning and that CPU gets quite a bit hotter than the CPU with a "good" fan.

Any suggestions? I coould remove the existing fan, dremel out the round plastic bit and add some Noctua fan in there, but I would like to avoid doing such a thing to those CPUs.

@Irinikus
Thanks!

Reply 13 of 40, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sdz wrote on 2024-02-26, 08:43:
@H3nrik V! You're right, the Obisidian is already sagged. I'll make some kind of support for both it and the S3. […]
Show full quote

@H3nrik V!
You're right, the Obisidian is already sagged. I'll make some kind of support for both it and the S3.

@luckybob
The jumpers are set correctly.
I thought those rivets look like a torx would fit in there, but was afraid to break them off while removing.
I'll remove them when I maintenance the CPUs again, which I think will be really soon.

One has a noisy fan, the other has a shot fan. The bearing is clearly bad, it makes a weird noise while spinning and that CPU gets quite a bit hotter than the CPU with a "good" fan.

Any suggestions? I coould remove the existing fan, dremel out the round plastic bit and add some Noctua fan in there, but I would like to avoid doing such a thing to those CPUs.

@Irinikus
Thanks!

The bearings are replaceable, they are mostly standard parts. You just need to find out the exact measures / bearing type.
eba... has plenty of them.
You can have a look here for some idea (sorry, German site, but translation possible): https://shop-rc.causemann.de/Kugellager

I must admit, though, I've had mixed results with replacing bearings. Some went good some not, mainly due to bad general fan quality, i. e. balancing problems.
But I think the Intels are worth a try.

Reply 14 of 40, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@mln

It's a bit too late, I just got the case 😀
Maybe an external SCSI drive?

@ChrisK
Thank you for that! That's the best option before doing damage to these CPUs.

I removed the fan and measured the bearings. Each fan has two of them, and they are identical.
If anyone has this CPU and wants to replace the bearings, here are the dimensions:

S14.jpg
Filename
S14.jpg
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
S15.jpg
Filename
S15.jpg
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
S16.jpg
Filename
S16.jpg
File size
1.55 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
S17.jpg
Filename
S17.jpg
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 15 of 40, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And I managed to remove the heatsink from the heatspreader.
Torx really doesn't feel right, I almost stripped one, but a number 2 hex driver shoved in far enough is perfect. I could reuse the screws/rivets with no problem.

S18.jpg
Filename
S18.jpg
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
S19.jpg
Filename
S19.jpg
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Now there's fresh TIM between CPU-heatspreader-heatsink.

Reply 16 of 40, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I built one of these computers back around 1998-99
I used the Intel Motherboard and Pentium-ll@333mhs Dual CPUs
64mb SDRAM and Dual Fast SCSI hard drives. ( 4gb each )
I remember it was a little loud because of the SCSI hard drives.

I had installed Sun Solaris but the Motherboard also supports Linux, Win-NT 4.0, and Win-2000

I used the ATI Play98 Fury AGP Video card and Sound Blaster 16 for Easy Setup.
Plug-N-Play.

It cost allot of Money back in 1998 because the Pentium ll CPU and hard drives was still expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_9998.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_9998.jpeg
    File size
    661.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_9999.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_9999.jpeg
    File size
    202.16 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2024-02-27, 12:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 40, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sdz wrote on 2024-02-26, 11:25:

And I managed to remove the heatsink from the heatspreader.
Torx really doesn't feel right, I almost stripped one, but a number 2 hex driver shoved in far enough is perfect. I could reuse the screws/rivets with no problem.

Yes, they're hexagonal. I twisted an allen key 180 degrees removing sinks from some of my Pentium IIs 🤣

Reply 18 of 40, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sdz wrote on 2024-02-26, 11:23:
@mln […]
Show full quote

@mln

It's a bit too late, I just got the case 😀
Maybe an external SCSI drive?

@ChrisK
Thank you for that! That's the best option before doing damage to these CPUs.

I removed the fan and measured the bearings. Each fan has two of them, and they are identical.
If anyone has this CPU and wants to replace the bearings, here are the dimensions:

S14.jpg

S15.jpg

S16.jpg

S17.jpg

That should be a 693ZZ type. They are easy to find and that's also the exact type I've used on a FX5700 card making it silent again.
I'm a bit astonished that there are two of them per fan. I've only seen one beeing used until now.

Reply 19 of 40, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sdz wrote on 2024-02-25, 11:59:

The purpose of this build is to make a nice system, using mostly parts that I already have laying around.

Motherboard is a Tyan S1682, dual Slot 1, 440FX chipset:

S1.jpg

Do I spy a very, very neat Dallas conversion?