VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My project/retro PC desk at the moment has a chunky wallet sized computer running an 8 core Ryzen chip with 680M graphics .

IMG-0348.jpg
The AMD ultra small PC

I wanted to try my disk games on it so I installed XP on it I went about setting up a PC with my disk drive. As the little PC is hogging the DVI input on my monitor I was using VGA over a DVI to VGA adapter. I built a S939 build in a generic Dell-y case with loud fans and a fairly loud PSU. It also didn't help that I was using my X1950XT which constantly sounds angry. I soon got frustrated with the noise so instead I took apart a previous project PC in my "good" case and made a new XP build aimed at silence. It turned out slightly cursed and the case is ugly with any build in it.

I put a Core i3 2340T into my 1155 mothboard (usually I have a 4c 8t xeon in there) and put a big (or used to be big in the old days) 120mm heatsink on it, without the fan. I was just trying it out but it works fine so I've left it like that. I found 2x 2GB of low voltage 1600MHz DDR3 RAM.

I'm using a low end version of the low end 9500GT; it's passively cooled but is the DDR2 version running at half the memory speed of normal 9500GTs. It also has a VGA output so no faffing with an adpater that sometimes loses colours unless I wiggle it.

I used my X-Fi sound card because why not.

It looks pretty rubbish with the PCI-e cables flapping around but if I poke them through the hole in the case i have to remove all the cables from the rear panel to get them again!

I'm using a 512GB SSD because it's not going to be a long term project.

The case has three 140mm fans, two at the front and 1 in the rear. They're all different brands and speed, but the front ones are hooked up via molex and a low noise adapter. They're silent (and move limited air). The rear fan is PWM so is also silent.

IMG-0347.jpg
IMG-0351.jpg
IMG-0350.jpg

It runs cool even in games with the CPU not going over 40c. The PC will shut down if the BIOS' sensors see thet CPU reaches 60c.

Now I want to play games on it instead of just copying the contents of CDs using it. the 9500GT isn't fast but the little AMD thing is fast enough for late XP gaming.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 1, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have that Gainward 9500GT as well. Bought it back in the day for the same reason - to keep my system as quiet as possible. Before that, I was using a 6600GT whose tiny fan got irritatingly noisy due to several years of use. Getting a passively cooled card after that felt like a huge relief.

I was very busy with my job back then, so I didn't have much time for gaming. But I certainly appreciated the silence while watching movies and TV shows on my PC after a hard day's work.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi