VOGONS

First post, by gn0me

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, been a hot minute. Finally finished a Win95 build that I’m stoked to be using, I decided to relax my usually strict demands for absolute period correctness, and allow for some non era parts still within the vein of what was available at the time.

The result is as follows:

Base PC: Micron Millennium MME build date June, 1997 (code named Anchorage)

ATX Socket 7 motherboard
Intel Pentium 200 MMX
64mb PC-100 SDRAM
Zip 100 IDE

I picked this case up in mostly original form with no hard drive and a busted IDE cdrom drive, and had been outfitted with none other than the Diamond Monster Fusion (16mb voodoo banshee).

I pulled the card and set it aside and proceeded with adding the following:

BNIB 350w ATX PSU
ATI 3D Rage II (temp card while I wait for my Matrix Millennium MGA-2064W w/ memory add on to arrive)
Orchid Righteous 3D Voodoo 1
Creative PC-DVD Dxr2
Adapted AHA-2940 SCSI controller
Thrustmaster ACM Game Card (BNIB)
Creative Sound Blaster 16 w/ Dreamblaster S2

Pioneer DVD-305s (QoL upgrade)
HL-DT-ST GCE-8160B CD-RW (16x10x40 QoL upgrade)
Quantum Atlas 10K3 18GB (QoL upgrade)
Iomega Zip 250 (QoL upgrade)

Windows 95 OSR 2.5

I’m still stretching my legs on this particular configuration, and debating on ditching the SCSI for more IDE, freeing up 2 pci slots (after ditching the dxr2 and dvd drive) in favour of 10/100 networking and an Aureal 1 for windows based gaming, keeping the sb16 for its unparalleled albeit noisy dos compatibility.

The other option could be to just ditch the sb16 altogether and use the Yamaha onboard sound, but not sure how I feel about that.

Pictures attached.

Attachments

1990-1997 DOS/W95: micron millennium mme/p200mmx/64mb/matrox millennium II 6mb/orchid righteous 3d 4mb/sb16 & dream blaster s2

Reply 1 of 12, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That slim case reminds me of a P2-era Dell I have, but I like the Micron badging much more. It also appears to be a totally standard ATX case, not the proprietary stuff Dell was doing.
I don't think I ever saw any Micron prebuilts, I've only read of them in old magazine articles.

Reply 2 of 12, by gn0me

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shamino wrote on 2024-02-26, 22:00:

That slim case reminds me of a P2-era Dell I have, but I like the Micron badging much more. It also appears to be a totally standard ATX case, not the proprietary stuff Dell was doing.
I don't think I ever saw any Micron prebuilts, I've only read of them in old magazine articles.

Yeah, it seems like Micron went to the same OEM for the cases, they are identical to the Dell towers of the era. And yeah, the power and reset buttons are regular 'ol ATX front panel connections, as are the LEDs etc, and yeah I much prefer the Micron badging, and that anodized aluminum heatsink 😁

1990-1997 DOS/W95: micron millennium mme/p200mmx/64mb/matrox millennium II 6mb/orchid righteous 3d 4mb/sb16 & dream blaster s2

Reply 3 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which Win9x games are you playing?
Early Win9x games didn't really use A3D, EAX but did use MIDI, something the Yamaha does very well.

Personally I find the real-life performance gain of SCSI doesn't match the hassle but it is fun to play around with. Depends on what your priority is.

Definity recommend adding network, Honestly it's well worth the time to setup if your after QoL upgrades, and this one is even period correct. Even a cheap Realtek card is enough, no need for anything fancy.

BUT I'd recommend enjoying it for a few months first as is.
Voodoo, SCSI, this would have been 1 hell of a PC back in the 90's. So use it, find out what what life would have been like back then if you had the money, what hasn't stood the test of time and upgrade accordingly.

Reply 4 of 12, by gn0me

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2024-02-27, 03:06:
Which Win9x games are you playing? Early Win9x games didn't really use A3D, EAX but did use MIDI, something the Yamaha does very […]
Show full quote

Which Win9x games are you playing?
Early Win9x games didn't really use A3D, EAX but did use MIDI, something the Yamaha does very well.

Personally I find the real-life performance gain of SCSI doesn't match the hassle but it is fun to play around with. Depends on what your priority is.

Definity recommend adding network, Honestly it's well worth the time to setup if your after QoL upgrades, and this one is even period correct. Even a cheap Realtek card is enough, no need for anything fancy.

BUT I'd recommend enjoying it for a few months first as is.
Voodoo, SCSI, this would have been 1 hell of a PC back in the 90's. So use it, find out what what life would have been like back then if you had the money, what hasn't stood the test of time and upgrade accordingly.

Actually now that I look at it, there aren’t really any games pre 98 that I’d play on this that even support a3d v1, so maybe I’ll just keep the scsi but drop the dvd and dxr2 and throw the 10/100 in there.

It has the benefit of cleaning up the video signal as there’s one less pci card the video signal has to travel through, plus I can always just enable the on board sound and use that for windows games which should be cleaner sounding than the sb16 which I can either just keep for dos compat or remove altogether and invest in some midi boxes.

Reply 6 of 12, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's an awesome looking build! Those parts make for the quintessential 1997 gaming rig. 😁

That Micron heatsink looks interesting. Is it just a heatsink or a heatsink/fan combo?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 12, by Martli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gn0me wrote on 2024-02-26, 17:39:

The other option could be to just ditch the sb16 altogether and use the Yamaha onboard sound, but not sure how I feel about that.

What Yamaha chip is it? You could possibly use both? Love this build btw, I bet it performs as good as it looks 🙂

Fenrir Asus P5A | Pentium MMX 166 | Ymf719 | ES1868f | SC-88ST pro
Neptune Asus P3B-F | PIII 600 | Voodoo3 | Audigy 2 | SB16
Thor Intel D865GBF | P4 3.0ghz | 4200ti | Audigy 2ZS
Jupiter Intel DH77KC | i5 3470 | GTX 670 | X-Fi

Reply 9 of 12, by gn0me

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-02-27, 15:44:

That's an awesome looking build! Those parts make for the quintessential 1997 gaming rig. 😁

That Micron heatsink looks interesting. Is it just a heatsink or a heatsink/fan combo?

It's a passive heatsink. It has a black plastic tray that clips over the sides of the cpu itself, then you screw the anodized heatsink into it to secure it against the IHS, then place the cpu into the socket and close the retention arm. Sits close enough to the rear exhaust fan that I suppose it manages the thermals adequately. The CPU is only a p5 200mmx so it's not like it runs awfully hot or anything to begin with.

Reply 10 of 12, by Tevian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gn0me wrote on 2024-03-01, 22:38:
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-02-27, 15:44:

It's a passive heatsink. It has a black plastic tray that clips over the sides of the cpu itself, then you screw the anodized heatsink into it to secure it against the IHS, then place the cpu into the socket and close the retention arm. Sits close enough to the rear exhaust fan that I suppose it manages the thermals adequately. The CPU is only a p5 200mmx so it's not like it runs awfully hot or anything to begin with.

I have two of those Micron heat sinks but no brackets. I was going to try and resin print one but would like to find an original.

Reply 12 of 12, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gn0me wrote on 2024-02-26, 23:54:
shamino wrote on 2024-02-26, 22:00:

Yeah, it seems like Micron went to the same OEM for the cases, they are identical to the Dell towers of the era. And yeah, the power and reset buttons are regular 'ol ATX front panel connections, as are the LEDs etc, and yeah I much prefer the Micron badging, and that anodized aluminum heatsink 😁

Both Dell and Micron used Palo Alto case with different front panels. I have a Micron Millenial XKU I bought from a Micron store (former Zeos store) and I love that case and the front panel Micron used looks better than the one Dell used.