VOGONS

First post, by ahyeadude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My first computer as a child was a 386sx-33 that my father built for me around 1993. My Dad kept pretty good records, these are the specs he listed for my machine (as of 1995). This was right before he built us new P100 machines.

r8sN82j.png

I already have a P233-MMX machine that covers DOS and early Windows 98 3D games, and a P133 machine purpose built as a Win 3.11 beast (will likely cover those later in separate posts). But, having a machine to hit the earlier end of DOS gaming was intriguing. I knew I didn't want to match the specs exactly, but rather build the best possible 386sx machine using hindsight and any applicable modern alternatives.

Below is what I settled on:

Motherboard with PS/2 Mod
EhrZoWI.jpg

Custom 5-1/4" bay adapter to accomodate ZuluSCSI and mt32-pi OLED
bOfswYk.jpeg

New old stock case found in an old dusty computer store
f6w3FqA.jpeg

Speedsys results
sGJV9iI.png

If anyone is interested I can post the STL files for the 5-1/4" bay adapter.

Reply 2 of 10, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is a sweet looking setup! Usually I see that case model as a tower. Don't think I've seen many as a desktop.

That custom drive bay is awesome, too! Really smart use of stacking devices like that.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most excellent! I thought I was a reasonably good father but now I see that I'm failing miserably 😂

I love that case - the tower version is my AT case of choice.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 10, by ahyeadude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2024-03-05, 04:00:

Most excellent! I thought I was a reasonably good father but now I see that I'm failing miserably 😂

I love that case - the tower version is my AT case of choice.

Would love to see a pic. Cool that there was a tower version.

Reply 7 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice build I love those little boards. I had a SX40 version when I was a n00b, but let it get away many years back. I am hoping to partially replicate with a AMD DX40 board I rediscovered in my old boards. It's not quite as cute as my old one or yours, but it will have to do. I don't know if I imagined it, but thought I had actually managed to grab one of the same footprint that was only an SX25, but it has not surfaced yet. I have obtained a rework station since I last saw that one, so upgrading it is on the table.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ahyeadude wrote on 2024-03-05, 04:18:

Would love to see a pic. Cool that there was a tower version.

Here's mine. Actually this general design was used by countless clones, all varying in quality. I've had a few of them over the years and they're all subtly different, so I presume that the design was either available for purchase or several companies just ripped it off.

P1060878.JPG
Filename
P1060878.JPG
File size
60.25 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9 of 10, by ahyeadude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Haha, that's awesome. Had no idea there was a tower version. Main differences are 2 vs 3 digit display, and keylock. I have the feeling my particular example was later in the 90s when MHz were higher and keylocks were falling out of fashion. Build quality on mine I would characterize as slightly above average. I've seen better and worse on cases from the era.

Reply 10 of 10, by ahyeadude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Added the final(?) piece to this build. I finally was able to locate a reasonably priced, good condition, Teac FD-55GFR. Also added some more pics. Power supply is a Delta 300W SFX form factor.

Attachments