VOGONS

First post, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I am finally biting the bullet. I am building a retro rig to recreate some fond memories from the late 1990's into early 2000's era, but also with the ability to run some earlier DOS games.

The games I will be focusing on are as follows:
Driving: Need for speed 3, 4 and 5 (Porsche Unleashed).
RTS: All Westwood-games from that era, meaning Command and Conquer, C&C II + Yuri's Revenge, Tiberian Sun ++
FPS: Half-Life, Unreal
Adventure: Broken Sword series, Indiana Jones etc.
Some old DOS games will also be played on the system, specifically Sierra Adventure games (King's Quest, Space Quest series etc.)

The software:
The software on the system will be Windows 98 / Windows XP 32-bit Dual Boot.
For really old games, like Dune II, the original Tomb Raider etc, I will be combining with DOSBox (or DosBox-X), since I will prioritize a small form factor, and can not find a way to accomodate an ISA sound card with the platform I have chosen. I find the Soundblaster and Yamaha OPL3-emulation of DOSBox to be excellent.
For 3DFx Glide, I plan on either using a Glide wrapper, or somehow get my hands on a Voodoo2.

The hardware:
Monitor
A good non-widescreen monitor, for better immersion than huge black bars, or stretched image. Likely candidate this Dell monitor:
210-AIIJ_v3.jpg
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-19-monit … tor-accessories
The description says 60 hz, but the user manual states it supports vertical refresh rates from 56 to 75 Hz.

Mainboard / CPU
Gigabyte GA-GC330UD - A Mini ITX motherboard with Atom 330D and 2 GB RAM
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-GC330UD-rev-10#ov
The Atom 330D has a Single Thread performance roughly equal to a Pentium 4 1,7 GHz or an Athlon XP 1600+, whilst running at a measly 10W. Perfect for games around year 2000. Under Windows 98, only one CPU core will be active. Speed sensitive games will anyway be run under emulation.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/604vs105 … Athlon-XP-1600+

The motherboard comes with a PCI slot, which makes it possible to upgrade the Video Card.

I have also ordered a PCI Riser:
EohExsS.png
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266541007221

EDIT:
I have orderede this Graphics card:
Gd9Ur5J.png
Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 PCI - 256 MB / 128-bit memory bus

I will get one of the smaller ITX-cases with GPU support, two PCI single slot cards take up just as much space as a dual slot GPU.

Last edited by hilram on 2024-04-04, 10:50. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 30, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No positional audio for Windows, no gameport for DOS/early Windows. No mention of CD drive - if you'll be emulating then there will be issues with some titles.

Decent entry level machine but I bet that before long you'll want more 😉

Reply 2 of 30, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2024-04-02, 14:12:

No positional audio for Windows, no gameport for DOS/early Windows. No mention of CD drive - if you'll be emulating then there will be issues with some titles.

Decent entry level machine but I bet that before long you'll want more 😉

Good point!
I am thinking of maybe picking up a Creative SoundBlaster Live! PCI sound card for the positional audio. I just want to make sure the graphics card works with the PCI riser first!

Reply 3 of 30, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Intel 945 chipsets do not support 98.
Of your list, NFS3-4, Unreal and TR1 benefit from Glide rendering.
If you absolutely must fit into ITX, your available option with driver support is VIA Epia series. If you don’t, any mATX 865G board will do.
Lack of ISA is not dramatic if you go with compatible chipset and card such as Live or 724. Even without dos box and vdmsound, in plain 98.

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 4 of 30, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruno128 wrote on 2024-04-03, 16:50:

Intel 945 chipsets do not support 98.

I am aware. However, the 945 is only the North Bridge of this chipset, and the only "device" Windows relates to on the North Bridge, is the integrated Graphics adapter. This problem will be overcome by instead using the Geforce FX 5500 I have ordered, which has excellent Windows 98 support. This is from the Gigabyte website:

North Bridge: Intel® 945GC Express Chipset
South Bridge: Intel® ICH7

With regards to the South Bridge part of this chipset, the ICH7, there is a solution. Someone created custom drivers to make W98 recognize the hardware that is in the South Bridge, such as ATA controller, USB controller, Sound Card.
I found it on this website: https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2019 … drivers-9x.html

Of your list, NFS3-4, Unreal and TR1 benefit from Glide rendering.

Agreed, but I will have to choose between HW Glide support in the form of a Voodoo2, or positional audio, in the form of an EAX-capable PCI sound card. I do not know how well Glide wrappers will work wiht the FX 5500. I guess I will test that properly, before I make my final desition.

Thanks for the input!

Reply 5 of 30, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FX5500 PCI does not have “excellent” 98 support because it is not in 45.23 forceware, not to mention performance and prices.
Even if you install custom inf file, ICH6 and newer would have DMA troubles when it comes to pci sound in dos games.
Shortsaid it will mostly work fine with the tricks you mention but it won’t count as 98 build on this forum because it doesn’t support obscure titles well.

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 6 of 30, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruno128 wrote on 2024-04-04, 09:58:

FX5500 PCI does not have “excellent” 98 support because it is not in 45.23 forceware, not to mention performance and prices.
Even if you install custom inf file, ICH6 and newer would have DMA troubles when it comes to pci sound in dos games.

Why would it have to be forceware 45.23 ? Because of the 5% better performance than later versions? If I were a purist, I would have gone for a M-ATX with AGP, and say a GF 4 Ti or something. But I want as small form factor as possible, and achieve W98 gaming with the games mentioned in the first post. I reckon an FX 5500 will run NFS 5 (Porsche) just fine, in 1280x960 resolution. It is after all a DX 7.0 game. My only worry performance wise is if this graphics card will be sufficiently effective with a Glide wrapper (for NFS 3 and 4), there are several options to try. Must assemble first, still waiting for the parts to arrive.

Shortsaid it will mostly work fine with the tricks you mention but it won’t count as 98 build on this forum because it doesn’t support obscure titles well.

Let's not forego the conclusion, shall we? 😉

Reply 7 of 30, by luk1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruno128 wrote on 2024-04-04, 09:58:

You can modify inf file in 45.23 package to add a support for FX5500 (you need to copy 2 lines from inf file from newer drivers). It worked for me when I played with FS Futro S400 and one of these Chinese FX5500 PCI. I believe that mine had blue PCB, but I guess that probably doesn't matter.

Last edited by luk1999 on 2024-04-07, 07:33. Edited 2 times in total.

Pentium 4 2.4C, ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, 1 GB RAM, GF FX5700 128 MB AGP, SB Audigy, Chieftec GPS-400AA-101A, Win XP SP2
Celeron 400, Compaq Garry, 128 MB RAM, Voodoo Banshee, ALS100 Plus+, Compaq 200 W, Win 98SE

Reply 8 of 30, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quick note regarding NFS4: High Stakes. That game won't work with 45.23 drivers. It will crash on start, even when using officially supported cards like the GeForce 4 series. I think NFS3 may have similar issues as well.

For those games, you either need older drivers like 30.82 or newer ones such as 56.64.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 9 of 30, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-04-07, 07:07:

I think NFS3 may have similar issues as well.

In my experience on my LAN party machines NFS3 is fine with the 45.23 drivers on Windows 98, using Geforce 256 DDR, Geforce 2 GTS, Geforce 3, And Geforce 4 Ti4200 64MB and 128MB 😀

Still looks better using Glide though...

Reply 10 of 30, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick note regarding NFS4: High Stakes. That game won't work with 45.23 drivers. It will crash on start, even when using officially supported cards like the GeForce 4 series. I think NFS3 may have similar issues as well.

For those games, you either need older drivers like 30.82 or newer ones such as 56.64.

Thanks a lot, will keep that in mind!
Although I hope to be able to use a Glide Wrapper for NFS3 & NFS4, either PSVoodoo or nGlide or dgVoodoo.

Reply 11 of 30, by Martli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shadzilla wrote on 2024-04-07, 08:01:

I think NFS3 may have similar issues as well.

In my experience on my LAN party machines NFS3 is fine with the 45.23 drivers on Windows 98, using Geforce 256 DDR, Geforce 2 GTS, Geforce 3, And Geforce 4 Ti4200 64MB and 128MB 😀

Still looks better using Glide though...

Yeah pretty sure NFS3 works fine on my rig using 45.23 drivers. Reason I’m only ‘pretty sure’ is because it does indeed look better using glide so I mostly play it on my voodoo rig 😂

Fenrir Asus P5A | Pentium MMX 166 | Ymf719 | ES1868f | SC-88ST pro
Neptune Asus P3B-F | PIII 600 | Voodoo3 | Audigy 2 | SB16
Thor Intel D865GBF | P4 3.0ghz | 4200ti | Audigy 2ZS
Jupiter Intel DH77KC | i5 3470 | GTX 670 | X-Fi

Reply 12 of 30, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wasn't sure about NFS3 as it's been a while since I've tested it.

On the other hand, I do recall trying several Nvidia drivers from the 4x.xx series with NFS4 and none of them worked on my system.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 14 of 30, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

44 Pin 2.5 " HDD To 3.5 " IDE 40 Pin Interface
I have a 40 GB IDE-drive from an old laptop laying around, and I plan to use that.

Attachments

• ATA-converter.jpg
    Filename
    ATA-converter.jpg
    File size
    39.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 15 of 30, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hilram wrote on 2024-04-14, 11:10:

Ordered a few new parts.
Case:

I like how modern ITX cases have multiple slots for big GPU's, it lets you run a graphics card and sound card in a little tiny package. I did the same thing with a 945 chipset in an ITX case with a 7950gt and an Audigy. I expected a few issues at the retro LAN party I went to, and it ran perfectly and actually it's one of my favorite systems to play with.

I think you'll have fun with it, and It's kind of fun working around some of the restraints of these setups.

Reply 16 of 30, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, my thoughts exactly!
All parts that were ordered have arrived now except the case.

Now begins the search for a good soundcard. I want positional audio, I remeber the joy of Need for Speed 5 with EAX. Does anyone know if NFS games support Aureal Audio as well, or is it just EAX?

Anyway, criteria for a new soundcard is:

• PCI (32-bit)
  • No longer than 195 mm (maximum length GPU supported by case)
  • Positional Audio (EAX or A3D)
  • Joystick port that can be used as Midi-interface as well
  • Driver support for both Win 98 and Win XP 32bit
  • Should be able to emulate SoundBlaster in W98 DOS mode

Reply 17 of 30, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hilram wrote on 2024-04-15, 19:51:
Yeah, my thoughts exactly! All parts that were ordered have arrived now except the case. […]
Show full quote

Yeah, my thoughts exactly!
All parts that were ordered have arrived now except the case.

Now begins the search for a good soundcard. I want positional audio, I remeber the joy of Need for Speed 5 with EAX. Does anyone know if NFS games support Aureal Audio as well, or is it just EAX?

Anyway, criteria for a new soundcard is:

• PCI (32-bit)
  • No longer than 195 mm (maximum length GPU supported by case)
  • Positional Audio (EAX or A3D)
  • Joystick port that can be used as Midi-interface as well
  • Driver support for both Win 98 and Win XP 32bit
  • Should be able to emulate SoundBlaster in W98 DOS mode

I don't think you can go wrong with a Sound Blaster live, they're cheap and readily available. But Sound Blasters are what I'm used to and prefer, and you can run the Audigy2 driver that Joseph_Joestar himself has an excellent write-up about on this very forum. (Though I can't seem to find it with a google search)

A Yamaha YMF card might would work though it's not my favorite solution because some games like Duke Nukem only fully work in real DOS, which I could never get working with a 945 chipset.

Crystal and Aureal cards might be a better option, but I don't know much about them.

Reply 19 of 30, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hilram wrote on 2024-04-27, 09:48:
Finally the case has arrived! […]
Show full quote

Finally the case has arrived!

Box
3KtJGTu.jpeg

Nice little case
G48Bh5c.jpeg