VOGONS

Munt development ?

Topic actions

First post, by noize

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any development on Munt by either Kingguppy or Canadacow?

Reply 1 of 53, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think both KingGuppy and Canadacow are busy doing other things?! Last info that was posted was KingGuppy had done some updates to the codebase for SCUMMVM source set but these were not 'ported'/copied over to the Munt driver. Canadacow was working on a rather cool looking configuration panel which looked similar to a real MT32 but was concerned that as he had used .NET maybe people wouldn't accept it?! Either way it's been quiet for ages 🙁 but hey it's their lives and time so it's whatever they can manage!

Reply 2 of 53, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still here.... still kicking. I lost contact with KingGuppy for some reason. He never signs on to instant messenger anymore so I haven't spoken with him in forever.

Reply 4 of 53, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm still alive, but I haven't done any real work on Munt in months. As far as I remember, the scummvm and Munt trees are currently in sync. I've got some local changes which attempt to bring some sanity to the time-based calculations, but I didn't quite crack it. I'm at the stage where it doesn't seem possible to improve the emulator in a reasonable amount of time without digital samples, and nobody's yet been able to help with building something to get them.

Reply 6 of 53, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm expecting the arrival of some hardware for logging the digital output of the MT-32 this week. I'm quite excited to start working on the emulator again with the ability to get provably correct results.

It might take a while to get things working, but if all goes well I'll post some digital samples of a real MT-32 here.

Reply 10 of 53, by MaliceX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem: Installed most recent (0.1.3) build of win32 drivers of MUNT with both MT32 ROMs. They install but for some reason it doesn't show up in my MIDI Devices list.

Under Device Manager, it's there (no yellow symbol) but upon closer inspection the description says

No drviers are installed for this device.

I check the Driver File Details on the third tab, all three files are there...

What's going on?

(I'm running WinXP SP2)

Reply 12 of 53, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MaliceX wrote:
Problem: Installed most recent (0.1.3) build of win32 drivers of MUNT with both MT32 ROMs. They install but for some reason it […]
Show full quote

Problem: Installed most recent (0.1.3) build of win32 drivers of MUNT with both MT32 ROMs. They install but for some reason it doesn't show up in my MIDI Devices list.

Under Device Manager, it's there (no yellow symbol) but upon closer inspection the description says

No drviers are installed for this device.

I check the Driver File Details on the third tab, all three files are there...

What's going on?

(I'm running WinXP SP2)

I had the same problem and it took some googling to find out what was going on. It turned out that when reinstalling sound card drivers windows adds an additional registry key for wave and midi devices. The problem is that the limit is 10 devices and when that limit is hit, you will not get new midi or sound devices no matter what you install.

Just open your registry, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 and delete midi2,3,4,etc. and mixer2,3,4,etc. You should just leave midi1 and mixer1. Check to see if they are the same but they most probably are all duplicate entries. After you have deleted the redundant entries, restart your computer, uninstall munt, and install it again. It should now be listed in the midi devices.

Reply 13 of 53, by MaliceX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think I want to remove my existing devices. (MIDI yoke, Maple Tools, EDIROL PCR aka my MIDI controller keyboard, Yamaha S-YXG50 v4, Roland VSC, MSGS (maybe), and my SB Audigy 2 synths+SW synth)

Reply 14 of 53, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Then just skip MUNT's WinMIDI driver and use one of the CVS builds of DOSBox which have the MUNT aspect of SCUMMVM integrated. You'll just need to drop the PCM files into your dosbox folder and make sure the munt settings in your dosbox.conf are appropiately set.

Reply 15 of 53, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't think I want to remove my existing devices. (MIDI yoke, Maple Tools, EDIROL PCR aka my MIDI controller keyboard, Yamaha S-YXG50 v4, Roland VSC, MSGS (maybe), and my SB Audigy 2 synths+SW synth)

As I read it you don't have to to make it work...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 53, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's the first digital rip - ~16 seconds from the MI2 intro:

http://www.kingguppy.com/files/MI2-Intro-Excerpt.zip

To view/play back using Audacity, do the following:

• Unzip MI2-Intro-Excerpt.raw
  • File|Import...|Raw Data...
  • Choose unzipped file
  • Set options:
    • Signed 16-bit PCM
    • Big-endian
    • 8 Channels
    • Start offset: 0 bytes
    • Amount to import: 100 %
    • Sample rate: 32000 Hz
  • Click "Import"

Note: I haven't yet checked for errors, this is just the very first semi-successful capture I've managed.