VOGONS

2003-8-12 Release

Topic actions

First post, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First I want to say thank-you for the samples and the assistance with the last release. In this release, I've fixed some of those bugs, retuned the PCM sounds and fixed some of the emphasis and vibrato effects. I also corrected a bug on the pitch envelope that's gone unnoticed for a good while now. One other big addition is the optimization through SSE and 3DNow (well, just SSE at the moment).

This will be the last of my frequent releases (I know, I keep saying this, but now this is for real). Tomorrow I end my employment as a grad student and enter the real world with a 9-5 job. Woohooo. Anyone is welcome to take what I have thus far and refine it further, just let me know what changes you make.

Snover: I have ultimately decypered the MT-32's ROM. My scale wasn't arbitrary at all. It just so happened that it was encoded using dB values rather than PCM values. Using a dB to PCM formula I was able to extract the samples without any difference from what the MT-32 outputs.

Enjoy.

Still at its usual site: http://www.artworxinn.com/alex

Last edited by canadacow on 2003-08-12, 21:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 26, by teamster1975

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Canadacow,

Firstly congratulations on the job! It'll be a shame to see the project slow down, I've enjoyed getting home from work and eagerly checking the website for updates!
This release is sounding much better, the pitch sounds correct, just the odd track slightly off tune now.
It's been nice chatting in here, hopefully you'll not be too shattered at the end of the day to tinker with the emulator (wife permitting of course!!)

All the best,

Matt

Reply 2 of 26, by teamster1975

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just tried Ultima 6 and in the title screen the music is out of tune. The two lead instruments are correct but the bass track is two notes off key from the sound of it.
Canadacow: How was the first day on the job!
Regards,
Matt

Reply 3 of 26, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info and the support! I've been using U6 as a sounding board but don't test with it very often. As for my first day on the job... I'm think I already remember what was good about graduate school. Oh well... I can always go back for my Ph.D. 😉

Reply 4 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by teamster1975 I've just tried Ultima 6 and in the title screen the music is out of tune. The two lead instruments are correct but the bass track is two notes off key from the sound of it.

I noticed this as well, but kind of dismissed it as a good title to test as the setup program describes the Music option as "Roland MT-32 / MIDI". That sounds to me like they just coded it for MIDI and plopped the MT32 name there as an alternative.

Could you have the same MIDI for both, yet still have enhancements for the MT32? (BTW, I know I'm over-generalizing here...but I'm not into the minutae of the MT32. I'm not sure if there's enough space left in my brain for that...).

Reply 5 of 26, by DjLc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm the site appear to be down... 🙁

Anyway, in answer to Nicht Sehr Gut, The MT32 isn't GM compatible by default ( the map is different) so for the game wich put mt32/gm the same midi data are used. For few games the dev team had embedded a sysex wich change the mt32 instrument's map to be GM compatible. But few game don't do this and in result we get a bizarre sound, like a trumpet as a piano 😒

Reply 6 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DjLc The MT32 isn't GM compatible by default ( the map is different) so for the game wich put mt32/gm the same midi data are used. For few games the dev team had embedded a sysex wich change the mt32 instrument's map to be GM compatible.

That sounds about right. Maybe a game with "dedicated" MT32 support would be a better "sounding board".

Reply 9 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by psz Correct. U6 was MT32 with a GM patch later on.

My point being that a game that uses a mixed-mode (MT32 & GM) probably shouldn't be the basis for any changes in the emulator.

Reply 12 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

is there any chance for some help on compiling midi_mt32.h into the up to date source code of Dosbox? Actual CVS of Dosbox compiles fine I just can't get it to compile with mt32 support...

Using latest mingw (gcc 3.2.3) for compiling.

Reply 14 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

grr, those fixes are already in the mdid_mt32.h file...
turned out it was as always user error: I didn't do a 'make clean' before compiling with midi_mt32.h and that screwed up my compile...

[Edit]
Actually I screwed up again and didn't compile with mt32 support. To get that to compile with mingw on Windows you need to edit midi_mt32.h and replace '#if defined (WIN32)' with something else.
Canadacow, mark this, better replace all those '#if defined (WIN32)' with something MSVC specific like '#if defined (MSVC)' (not sure about the exact thing to replace with).
Then it compiled fine with warnings.

Snover: ih8registrations' fixes didn't do any good in this case...

Last edited by Dominus on 2003-08-21, 02:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 26, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kode54 wrote:

Just like Flashback, only used a separate device for digital sound effects.

Here's an official list of games and software I use to test my emulator before each release (in order of priority):
Monkey Island 1 and 2
SQ3 (sometimes Sq4 and Sq5)
Stunts
Xwing
Ultima 6
Ultima Underworld
Silpheed
Pq2
Dune 2
Castles
Sierra's Christmas Card
KQ4
Railroad Tycoon
Hoyle's Book of Games
Civilization
Elite Plus

Here are some others I have only recently started testing it on:
Freddy Farkas
Willy Beamish
Loom
Codename: Iceman
Rise of the Dragon
Pq3
Day of the Tentacle
Kyrandia
Sam 'n Max

Any other suggestions of games with good MT-32 music worth testing on?

Reply 17 of 26, by puttesnutte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Helllooo!

Just thought I should mention that using Ultima 6 to test the emulator might not be a very good idea.

Take a look at this:
http://www.geocities.com/nodling/ultima/ultima.html

Reply 18 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by puttesnutte Just thought I should mention that using Ultima 6 to test the emulator might not be a very good […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by puttesnutte Just thought I should mention that using Ultima 6 to test the emulator might not be a very good idea.

Take a look at this:
http://www.geocities.com/nodling/ultima/ultima.html

the MT-32 driver was only added as an afterthought

*heh* That explains a few things...so my instincts were right on this one.

Reply 19 of 26, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In a way, though you're missing the point. People often refer to the Ultima series and its MT-32 music. The goal of my emulation, of course, is to get it to match what the real MT-32 does, regardless of whether it sounds good or not. 😜

Last edited by canadacow on 2003-08-29, 17:37. Edited 1 time in total.