VOGONS

well, I lost my ebay bids.

Topic actions

First post, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was a scc1 and a cm-64 up forsale.

The cm-64 went for 80 bucks. I emailed the winner pointing out the board and emulation project pages in hopes that he might contribute by dumping the samples(recall, the cm-32/64/lapc have an extra bank of 33 sound effects over the mt-32).

The scc1 auction still has a hour and 45 minutes to go but price is too high for it($20, for another $10, could buy the latest vsc or bid on a mt-32) and the virtual sound canvas sounds just as good(going by quest studio's mp3s) and works with dosbox. Yamaha's sxg soft synth works too. The gpl'd/open source timidity soft synth works as well. The twsyng driver makes it possible. There are a ton of patch sets for it too: gus, mt-32, gs, xg, awe, live, big custom sets, etc.

So, was I bidding against someone from here?:)

At least I won my earlier bid for four sound blasters(2 awe64's, sb pro, sb 16) for $7. FYI for those interested in putting together a real old dos gaming rig, reading sb faq's, the awe64's are 100% sb, sbpro, sb16, awe32 compatible vs sb16's which aren't completely sbpro compatible(supposedly they didn't fully implement the sbpro mixer). & an awe32 is a sb16 core+emu8k.

I also have a GUS. I find that I like the SBOS output, the ultrasound's sound blaster emulator, more than a sound blaster or gm playback for several games. novalogic's ultrabots sounds the coolest with SBOS over all the other methods. Perhaps I'll make some mp3/ogg's.

Last edited by ih8registrations on 2003-08-16, 21:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 22, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I've found it rather odd that Vladr and Snover offered only minimal input once my emulator really got going. I miss their input. I was hoping that Vladr would have brilliant insights that would exponentially push my project forward.

Technically, though. One really doesn't have to go to all the trouble to do the dumping. Having a literal rip from the MT-32 in some ways made the initial emulation more difficult until I got the ROM cracked. Since then, I've realized there are certain tricks one can play with the hardware have it output clean, unmodified PCM samples at their base pitch. No ripping required.

Reply 3 of 22, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by canadacow Yeah, I've found it rather odd that Vladr and Snover offered only minimal input once my emulator really got going. I miss their input. I was hoping that Vladr would have brilliant insights that would exponentially push my project forward.

Well, Snover has had his part-time job go full-time and I think Vlad has had his hands full with the "real world". The "real world" has been keeping me pretty busy as well...

Reply 4 of 22, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately at this point I haven't really got a whole lot of input, honestly. Um, it still sounds off and I've given you a couple documentations of that but yeah, other than that, I'm not quite sure what to say other than 'keep going'.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 22, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or have canadacow describe the easier way he referred to, to get the samples.

There is another chunk of data I'd be interested in, though I imagine the dumping method would be needed to grab it, which is the controller rom. Since you & vlad already put together a dumper, perhaps you guys could do it.

Though, based on this thread:
216.239.37.104/search?q=cache:nbznl1-hZ ... n&ie=UTF-8[/url]

dumping as many roms as possible wouldn't hurt.

Here's a quote:
"And the reason we asked you to try it is
>that we have found over the years that there can be problems with specific ROM
>versions and this has been particularly prevelent with Roland instruments. There
>are many ROM versions of the D-10, D-5, D-50, D-70, D-110, MT-32, SC-55, etc
>where the SysX does not work properly on the instrument, period. We find this
>out by working with the customer because if we ask for an instrument from Roland
>we usually get a different ROM and different results from the person
>experiencing the problem.
"

In this thread from years ago:
http://www.ibiblio.org/emusic-l/back-issues/v … l011/issue3.txt

a guy had disected the mt-32 in which he points out the controller is an intel 8097.

and in this link:
http://rrzs42.uni-regensburg.de/~hep09515/key … s-50/index.html

A guy already gathered the disassembler & assmebler for disecting the rom code of the roland s-50, which uses the same controller.

Since it decodes the midi commands and tells the la32 chip what to do, the code could reveal undocumented commands and the arguments it passes to the la32(maybe shed light on what the parameters values mean) and perhaps other assorted goodies:)

Here's a page of undocumented d10/20 features that might be applicable to the mt-32: http://www.synthzone.com/lakata/d10tips.htm

Oh, and from quest studios lapc-I doc,

http://www.queststudios.com/roland/docs/lapc1.txt

the sound effect pcm's are in the drum bank; notes 76-108.

It wouldn't hurt if some of this stuff was grabbed and stored vogons, the mt-32 emulation project or mt-32 emulator source page so it doesn't disapper.

Last edited by ih8registrations on 2003-08-26, 02:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 22, by CapTVK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well found it, plus a Roland MPU-401 midi controller (isa card with external connector box) to boot. The CM-64 is basically a CM-32 and CM-32P in one box. I have a photocopy of the CM-32P manual (dated 18 apr 1989) I also have a 80 page (photocopied) technical reference manual which I received from Roland when I needed some help setting it up.

I don't know if you have this already but I also have a MPU-401 reference manual. This one is listed as version 1.5 (dated 5/29/85). This manual is very detailed and lists about everything a programmer should know about sysex data and how to control the MPU-401. It also has a rom versions delta guide which lists all the changes till 1.5.

Tip: You might try contacting Roland and ask for a reference manual for an older model. I got mine about 4-5 years ago. I called the Benelux Roland office in Brussels and received the manuals by mail free of charge! (Excellent service even on old models) 😎

So how do I go about this? Should I just set it up and play a special midi file and record it?

Reply 10 of 22, by Lucasierra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey.. if you have some connections at Roland (or good connections with Roland) at your place - then maybe you can obtain some detailed mt-32 manuals and specifications to help minimize the guess work needed to improve the emulator.

Reply 11 of 22, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CapTVK wrote:

I don't know if you have this already but I also have a MPU-401 reference manual. This one is listed as version 1.5 (dated 5/29/85). This manual is very detailed and lists about everything a programmer should know about sysex data and how to control the MPU-401. It also has a rom versions delta guide which lists all the changes till 1.5.

I definitely want this. If you have a scanner and the time, please scan this and upload this somewhere. I've never seen it online.

Looks like the rest needs scanned too.

If you don't have the time, I can maybe do it. (But international mailing to the U.S. would be at your expense.)

If not, I suppose I can try Roland tech support...

Reply 13 of 22, by CapTVK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Schadenfreude wrote:
I definitely want this. If you have a scanner and the time, please scan this and upload this somewhere. I've never seen it onlin […]
Show full quote

I definitely want this. If you have a scanner and the time, please scan this and upload this somewhere. I've never seen it online.

Looks like the rest needs scanned too.

If you don't have the time, I can maybe do it. (But international mailing to the U.S. would be at your expense.)

If not, I suppose I can try Roland tech support...

It's done. 😀 Decided to bite the bullet today and scan in the MPU-401 reference manual. Took about 3 hours of scanning and editing. I've scanned it in at 300dpi and stored it in PNG format.
It describes the commands for MPU-401 and various functions like tvr or the metronome. Sorry for the quality of the scans but it's a scan of a photocopy, not a original. So some of the pages are cropped at the edge. I'll leave it to another poor soul to OCR it and convert it to PDF.

I'll post it here in a min...

Reply 17 of 22, by CapTVK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
runderwo wrote:

mpu401_technical_reference_manual_1.5.djvu
You will need the DjVu viewer from http://djvu.sourceforge.net to view it.

DjVu? That's a nifty viewer util, it managed to compress all those PNG's back to a readable 1.2 meg. Impressive 😀