VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

*sigh* well the mt-32 showed up and dispite my hope that this would be simple....of course it hasn't been. i know there are a few threads on this but none have been helpful

can't get the thing to work. useing one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-M-AUDIO-FEMA...item519119b461

to connect my sound blaster16 to the mt-32. of course in my haste i ordered the female cable so when it arrived i had to by a short M-M midi cable to bridge and connect. as for the 1/4 mono jacks that the mt-32 uses to output i have 2 mono to stereo 1/4 to 1/8 converters and then i have a stereo 1/4 splitter to let my speakers connect to that.

anyways, as i said i can't get it working dispite what i hook the midi cable up to. i tried both midi in and out. i'm testing with kings quest 4 as i read it requires no patches to utilise the mt-32. i know the game is fine because when i set it up to use the sb16 it plays perfect but if i setup for MT-32 and compatibles when i start the game i get a black screen and a mouse pointer. i get no midi message on the mt-32. acually even when i do a sound test with the sb16 i get no sound like nothing is passing to the mt-32.

i also tried running indiana jones and the fate of atlantis, if i set it up for sb16 i get sounds fine but when i have it set up for mt-32 i just get the sound effects (generated by the sb16 and the voice (cd) but no music (mt-32)

anyone have any ideas? btw i'm running it on a 486 under dos 6.11

Reply 1 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just set it up on a new machine with DOSBox. Use MIDI out from the PC to MIDI in on the MT-32. Audio out from the MT-32 audio in of the PC or some sort of amplifier. Select MPU-401 or equivalent for your MIDI device on the PC. For example, with my Audigy I use "SB Audigy MIDI IO[E400]". Be sure that you have the game configured to use MT-32. For KQ4 the line in the RESOURCE.CFG needs to be "soundDrv=MT32.DRV".

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 8, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

but that completely defeats my purpose. the whole reason i have a 486 is to avoid dosbox and just play games in acual dos.

regardless, i may try getting it to work on a windows machine just to make sure its not an issue with the acual unit. i have an audiology on my windows pc as well so that info may come in handy. thanks

i really can't think of any reason its not working on my dos pc though.

Reply 4 of 8, by fluxit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Most games of that era did not support the SB16's midi out directly. They work with an MPU-401 or compatible interface only.
Some versions(but not all) of the SB16 include a partial MPU-401 emulation which has to be explicitly enabled through software before starting your game.

Definitely do test the MT-32 from Dosbox.

Reply 5 of 8, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some versions(but not all) of the SB16 include a partial MPU-401 emulation which has to be explicitly enabled through software before starting your game.

All SB16s have support for the UART MPU-401 mode. Many games from the era in which the MT-32 was the most advanced music device supported assumed the user connected the MT-32 to a true MPU-401 interface card from Roland, which defaults to the "Normal" (Intelligent) Mode. Since the Normal mode works differently than the UART mode, the program would not work properly with MT-32 music selected.

UART MPU-401 support is enabled by setting jumpers on the card in early SB16s, or using the Creative Configuration Utility program.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 6 of 8, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nope

tried it on my second dos pc running an awe32 and same result. also tried it nativly on my win xp pc with a sb live card and under dosbox. anything but dosbox i get a "unable to initiate music hardware". i tried all the settings under sound config. and messed with the dosbox sound settings as well, nothing. under dosbox the game plays but no mt-32 sounds just the sb16 sounds dispite the fact i have it set up for mt-32.

the mt-32 just sits there, no activity. also i don't get any sound through the output, even the stuff the sb16 is produceing. i'm starting to think its a bad cable

i would love to get a MPU-IPC-T, the breakout box seems fairly avalible the isa cards seem to be unfindable as well as the LAPC-I