VOGONS

Final version

Topic actions

First post, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have posted a new binary and source code to my page. I've decided to make this my final (or near final) release of my emulator. Its starting to get too close in sound to the real thing that tuning it any further is incredibly difficult. If I am to continue working on it I really need some hard documentation or someone who can really kick my butt with the synthesis math. Anyone is free to take what I've written and run with it. I'll probably release one more version of the Windows driver version that will probably be it. Its been fun, but its also been a lot of work. Thanks for all your help!

As always, grab it at: http://www.artworxinn.com/alex

Reply 1 of 13, by teamster1975

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Canadacow;
I've just tried Ultima 6 and the tuning is perfect to my ear. Well done that man! I'll try a few more later when i get home from work.
This is a bit of a cheeky question, but could you compile a dosbox binary from the current CVS? I'd like to see how Ultima 7 sounds!!
Thankyou for all the hard work that you've put into your emulator, now that it is near completion, what is your next project!! 😁

All the best,

Matthew

Reply 2 of 13, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Canadcow, this is really a big leap forward for the MT-32 emulator. I just listened to Monkey Island 1, 2 and Ultima Underworld and they sound really like the old Roland (only I never listened to one). But perhaps you could check my old favourite, Wing Commander. There seem to be some volume issues, because often the melody voice is too quiet. Also, the orchestra in the Origin fx trailer (sorry I can't specify it more exactly) and the strings in the intro seem to be a little off tune.

Reply 3 of 13, by Tau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Canadacow,

I finally decided to register here so I can post. I've been eagerly following your progress with the emulator and the messages here on VOGONS for some months now. The first version of your emulator I downloaded was dated 11th July, and you sure have come a long way since then!

It seems you've finally pretty-much nailed the tuning problem with this latest version and it was a pleasure to listen to the KQ4 intro finally in tune 😀

I used to have an MT32 myself - but not any more. since I had to sell it a couple of years ago. But I had it for many many years and know many of the game tunes back-to-front in my head, and remember exactly how they used to sound. This includes all the quirks of the MT32, like the clipping noise it would make on some songs when the master volume was too high, and how it would sound when the reverb changed during a song, as well as how partials would sometimes fall off. And let's not forget the cool messages that Sierra and some other companies would put on the MT32 screen. I even wrote a program in BASIC called "MT32 word processor" that used sysex messages to write to the display as you typed on the keyboard!

To do that, I ended up buying from Roland an original copy of the MT32 implementation guide, plus the MPU401 technical manual (or whatever it was called). Its too bad I don't have them anymore. I also had an original MPU-401 IPC-T MIDI interface, with the cool external grey breakout box with 3 midi ports on it, and some other 3.5in jack on it as well (I think it was for a tape controller or something).

Anyway, what I wanted to say, apart from BIG thanks for all your effort in making this thing - I missed my MT32 so much, but now I can listen to all my favourte games again with your emulator instead (and others that never knew how good the MT32 was can get to listen to it now as well), was that I found a very obvious problem with one of the games that might help you with debugging. It's on the Colonel's Bequest, when you get through watching all of the intro, and you cut to the scene back in the bedroom with Lillian there. The clock appears and starts to do it's big ben chime. Well the chime is way way screwed up. The bells are all out of time, and it just sounds crazy. Have a listen and you'll know what I'm talkiing about.

There were a couple of other minor things I've noticed too (like this new version seems to be lacking bass) but I will post them later in another message. For now, I think you should sit back and relax and be happy with what you've made. Don't worry about all the others who are arguing about GPL licences, and otherwise haranguing you with other nonsense. I think you've accomplished quite a feat to have achieved what you have, and deserve to take a break from it for a little while. 😀

Reply 4 of 13, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just wanted to add some details to my post above. The low-volume melody I was referring to occurs in the briefing room and -in case you want to play that much - when the "returning to the carrier"-tune plays. I also just tried Wing Commander 2 and the music is totally screwed up there. Everything sounds somehow noisy or mixed with much too high frequencies. I should add here that I'm posting these things to help you improving your emulator (if you are still working on it) and not to complain because my favourite game still doesn't sound optimal. By the way, what sort of math is making you trouble (My programming knowledge is infinitesimally small but I study math).

Reply 5 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The low-volume is a problem on the SQ3 intro as well -- the trumpet playing the main melody is much quieter than it should be. Also, the tempo seems to fluctuate a rather bit more than it should. Is this a timing issue with NTVDM or can something be done to improve in the emulation? (It feels like songs are ever-so-sluggish). Also, believe-it-or-not, there are STILL instruments that are out of tune. Not glaringly horribly, but I can still hear them.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 13, by Tau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Snover, and Alkarion:

Yes, I've noticed an instrument or two that is still slightly out of tune as well. It's nowhere near as bad as it was, as they are only a little bit out of tune, but just wanted to say I've noticed it too. I think it would be handy for canadacow if we isolated a specific spot and instrument in the music which has the problem so he can hear what we're talking about, and may give some clues to what the problem is.

Reply 7 of 13, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even m1emu.mp3 provided on canadacow's page has volume problems (bass sound is much louder in m1.mp3 played on real MT-32).

btw, I was unable to find ROM. It's required to get any sound from emulator, right?
(even managed to get it compiled with current dosbox CVS, but exits when mt32emu is run)
I'd be very grateful if anyone can send me ROM or a link to it.

Reply 8 of 13, by teamster1975

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just tried Willy Beamish and the music in the intro is a bit odd, random squeaking noises and the lead instrument is very quiet. I'll carry on testing!

Reply 9 of 13, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Srecko wrote:
Even m1emu.mp3 provided on canadacow's page has volume problems (bass sound is much louder in m1.mp3 played on real MT-32). […]
Show full quote

Even m1emu.mp3 provided on canadacow's page has volume problems (bass sound is much louder in m1.mp3 played on real MT-32).

btw, I was unable to find ROM. It's required to get any sound from emulator, right?
(even managed to get it compiled with current dosbox CVS, but exits when mt32emu is run)
I'd be very grateful if anyone can send me ROM or a link to it.

This cannot be done. At issue right now with Roland is whether or not they still have the copyright on the samples. Apparently through a legal flub-up it appears they may have lost the copyright. Roland disagrees, hence the cease and desist letter we recently received. We'll keep everyone posted on our progress.