VOGONS

First post, by Varka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got an interesting little experiment I'm going to perform.

I've got an older Asus atom-based eeepc I was thinking about turning into a sort of meta-MT32.

It's got Windows XP running + MUNT midi driver installed.

My theory is that I could take two USB midi adapters and treat the eeepc exactly like an MT32 external unit; map the output of Dosbox' midi to the input on the eeepc.

Does anyone have suggestions on usb-to-midi cables to prefer/avoid? Any that have Windows 7 64-bit support?

Anybody done this, or thought about doing this? There's no real point to it, granted, but I actually thought it would be pretty cool to do this and then have the little eeepc running some sort of full-screen oscilliscope ala the old Cthugha app, perched up on top of my computer desk for some eye candy while I get my "classic gaming" done.

Also, if it works, I was considering picking up an old broken MT32, gutting it, and sliding in one of the mini-ITX boards (or the guts of the eeepc); I think it would look quite nice alongside my NES I turned into a HTPC...

Reply 1 of 1, by Varka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, in the MT32 development thread someone mentioned rtp-midi.

It looks like this will do EXACTLY what I need to do. I've successfully used the Microsoft GS synth on my desktop while running Dosbox on my laptop.

So far it looks a lot easier than I thought it would be, which actually sort of ruins the fun...