VOGONS

First post, by GavinRoskamp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I'm definitely new to all this, but I've spent well over 12 hours trying to get Munt to work in either Ubuntu or Windows 7 32-bit and have had no luck at all. I've also tried on a Windows 98 SE machine, and it appears to install, but then it doesn't make any music when playing a MIDI file in Media Player or playing a game with MT-32 support (specifically Railroad Tycoon).

So here's how far I got in Ubuntu: I downloaded all the stuff, tried building everything, and it kept failing when building the ALSA driver/plugin/whatever it is because it was missing something called alsa/version.h among other things. I have no idea what that means, and after more and more tinkering, I just got frustrated and moved on.

In Windows 7, I managed to actually find the add new hardware wizard (Start>hdwwiz) and attempted to install as Munt says to. First, it says it can't find a file. So I move everything to the C: directory and start again. Then access is denied. So I edit the .inf file and remove the line about CopyFiles or whatever and it seems to work. Reboot, use the MIDI switcher thing to attempt to switch to the emulator, and only the standard Microsoft GS Synth thing shows up. I've tried so many different things, and still nothing works.

In Windows 98, I attempted to use the normal install method. It all went fine until it needed the ROM files. I had them in the install directory, but it couldn't find them. So I use an updated .inf file that I had to use for Windows 7, and it appears to install fine. Then, after reboots, I find that nope, it still isn't gonna make any sound, even though it shows up in the MIDI options as Roland MP-401 or whatever.

As for DOS on the 98 machine, Railroad Tycoon can only do IBM PC Speaker sounds, and Lemmings can only do sound effects. Options for sound config on RR Tycoon are IBM, Tandy, Adlib, and Roland MT-32. The last three don't make any sound at all.

In DOSBox, I tried messing with stuff in the config after attempting to install the Windows 7 driver, and it still just sounds like it does all the time. On RR Tycoon, Adlib and MT-32 options work, but they obviously aren't right. They sound über-tinny and crappy, as if they were being produced by the standard Microsoft GS Synth thing again.

So yeah, you're probably confused about what I'm trying to say, but in short, nothing is working for me. Could anyone point me in the right direction and/or provide a step-by-step guide to install on any of the systems I've previously mentioned? (Or Mac OS X, which would actually be the 2nd best option for me after the Win98 machine...)

Thanks for the help, and hopefully I can just maybe have something to show after my hours of brain-killing work.

Reply 3 of 3, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yikes! 12 hours!!

Well, at least nobody will be able to accuse you of not trying it yourself before asking questions! 😉

But I suggest that you take a look at the Development forum. Thankfully, God answered my plea from a few months ago here:

Just got a real MT-32. Why does everything sound wrong?

And sent sergm to help with the development of the emulator! They even have plans to create a standalone app that will receive MIDI input and emulate the MT-32 in real time.

Who said praying didn't work? 😜