VOGONS

First post, by tikalat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Having played small parts of Space Quest 3 + Monkey Island 1, I've noticed the MUNT console throw out a decent # of 'dropped partials' (playing > 32 partials at a time).

So I compiled MUNT + Dosbox to use 128 MAX_PARTIALS + MAX_POLYS, which I think pseudo-simulates chaining 4 MT-32s together?

The part I'm curious about is whether the composers worked with just 1 box or did they chain a few units to handle overflows for the original score?

SQ3 can hit 65-68 active partials around the scene with Roger being taken by the trash ship. And MI1 likes to drop partials lots of times in the opening theme (40-50 max).

Or is this a 1st vs 2nd gen problem? Similar to other differences mentioned here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MT-32-co … _computer_games
- NOTE: The 7th Guest is -not- MT-32 (Alistair mentions that it incorrectly plays GM midis "as-is" with no SysEx remapping)

Thanks for any insight!

Reply 1 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it sound significantly different when the partials don't get dropped? Maybe it was just sloppy transcribing from some sheet music or another MIDI device that was rearranged for MT-32 without worrying about polyphony?

Reply 3 of 4, by tikalat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(Going off memory atm)
(MUNT) Space Quest III didn't have any large change (mostly intro). Maybe a little cutoff here-there.

At one point (where Roger is beamed up), 32 partials = 'simpler' tune vs 128 partials = packing a room with similar orchestral sounds (not reverb but volume maybe?). Or maybe depth? Can't explain this but I have to compare again sometime.

(MUNT) Monkey Island had enough instruments noticeably cutoff during the title theme. I think I've read someone mention this too with MT-32. Sound is smooth flowing with 64 partials.

I suppose using 128 partials won't hurt. Thanks anyway - the transcribing note is an interesting thought.

Reply 4 of 4, by tikalat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using a newer MUNT + DAC = pure has changed around the results a lot. Both versions are very similar now, without the side-effects I remember earlier.

So it's a pretty moot issue for me now. 😉

You can check out the ogg comparisons here though:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/xup3u0