VOGONS

First post, by deemster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just bought a first generation MT-32, and it gets the sysex i send to it, and when playing a song for it it shows the instruments on screen, but i get no sound out of it!

I only have the midi-to-usb cable into it, i didn't attach any speakers.

Do i have to?

I thought it would send the sound data back to my computer, so my computer would send it to the speakers. (Especially for my laptop this would be useful, since it has internal speakers)

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You need to attach some cable to reroute the sound back to your computer or attach speakers.
The usb/midi cable only transfers data to the device.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 11, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably something similar to this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IPMB2Q5/

Although I'd swear cables similar to those were much cheaper back when I was looking for them a few years ago!

Reply 5 of 11, by deemster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot for the answers guys!

I bought the right cable to connect my MT-32 into my microphone jack (Since my computers don't have a line-in jack) and it sounds fantastic! Even General Midi files (after sending mtgm.mid to the device of course) sound great 😀

By the way, is it true the UM-ONE usb-to-midi cable doesn't work on Linux? Because i use the latest Ubuntu on my laptop, and i would love to attach my MT-32 to my laptop too when i happen to be upstairs.

Reply 7 of 11, by deemster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah bloodbat, you're right 😀 It's just, i have googled if the cable works on Linux and i found a few posts from people saying it didn't work. But i will try it tomorrow! I just worried since the disc that i got with my Roland UM-ONE cable only came with Windows and Mac drivers.. But i will see tomorrow if it works, and if not, then i will probably have to buy another cable. Anyways, i'm really excited to finally have a working MT-32! Munt is an awesome project, but it still doesn't sound quite te same..Especially the reverb. Plus you cannot send external sysex files to munt, especially THAT bothered me. Well thanks for all your advices, i now understand all i need to know. (I can still slap myself in the face, that i just assumed my MIDI CABLE would send audio back to my speakers :') )

Reply 8 of 11, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"you cannot send external sysex files to munt"

What do you mean? I have several MIDs with separate sysex files, and they work perfectly.

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 9 of 11, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

+1
And, actually by now, the reverb _was_ inaccurate 😀 😀 😀 I eventually managed to recreate the exact model, it is in the final stage...
Btw, I think the most annoying thing should be unavailability of ROMs, but it seems this doesn't matter after all 😉

Reply 10 of 11, by deemster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, then i guess i accidently had an older build of munt on my laptop ;o One final question about Munt though..

Some games exploit bugs on the first-gen MT-32. Does Munt play these tunes correctly as long as you have first-gen roms?
Or does it depend on other things than the roms?

Btw. Don't get me wrong, i have deep respect for Munt and it's creators. Creating such an accurate emulator without ANY support from Roland is the greatest emulation achievement ever done in my opinion. I'm just very nitpicky about the sound 😀

Reply 11 of 11, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, there're several #ifdef's intended to reproduce the bugs in the old control ROM, not carefully tested so far. The problem with those bugs is we have now no access to an old MT-32. But the hope is to finish those soon. This is my priority #1 now after the reverb is completed.