VOGONS

First post, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to run the MT32 emulator Windows driver with VDMS (latest V2.10).

The sound made is terrible (2MB WAVE file) If you listen to the WAV file, you can just about tell that there is a definite attempt to play the correct tune but something is not quite doing as it should!

I've configured the VDMS to use the MT32 Synth MIDI device (on the MIDI tab). Using other output devices I get normal (working) sound so I know VDMS is working properly. I've also tried the various .map files in case that's the problem (although it seems unlikely!). I've attached my VDMS shortcut.

Downloaded the Mt32 emulation driver yesterday. Installed into Win2k Sp4, reboot before it showed up in Sound device list.

Have I missed a trick somewhere along the lines?
Machine specs are as profiles.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Filename
    SCIV.vlp
    File size
    230 Bytes
    Downloads
    435 downloads
    File comment
    LSL3 VDMSSound shortcut
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 10, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The setting in VDMSound assumes other MIDI devices are GM, so choosing "MT-32" in Launchpad will, based on this assumption, map from the game's MT-32 to the expected GM on your system.

In other words, when playing through the MT-32 emulator, please always choose "GM" in LaunchPad (no matter how counterintuitive that may be. 😀 )

V.

Reply 2 of 10, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Reckless wrote:

Have I missed a trick somewhere along the lines?

Yes. The current Windows driver is extremely obsolete compared to the latest DosBox implementation (which is itself already obsolete according to CanadaCow). Actually it's barely useable, if at all. Just wait for the next release which is going to kick the Wallalamallajan Lhama's arse.

Reply 3 of 10, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thx for the replies guys!

I tried it out on my works PC (dual P3-Xeon with o/b sound) and it worked much better. Maybe my home soundcard/configuration isn't quite as healthy as I thought it was?

I'd seen that the Windows driver was out of date when compared to the DOSBox snapshot... but that didn't play too well for me!

Reply 6 of 10, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran throught the DirectX diagnostics tool (Music Tab) and tested DirectMusic through all of the listed ports. The MT32 Synth Emulator was the only device that produced the 'noise' as can be heard on my WAV download. All other devices sounded fine (as did all of the DirectSound tests).

Yes, agreed my system is aged and maybe I was hoping it would run. However the above diagnostics test was the only thing it was doing at the time and it couldn't do that which could suggest that maybe it is something else?

Reply 7 of 10, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just wait for the next release which is going to kick the Wallalamallajan Lhama's arse.
Yes, this weekend I am going to endeavour to have both an up-to-date Windows driver (unlikely though, given its complexity and necessary Q.A.) and a new DosBox version released. I've tracked down several bugs since my last release. The volumes are correct (the trumpet is audible in SQ3's intro now) and any aliasing artifacts have been removed. I've just being toying with it and it sounds great. The only seriously remaining bug is some amplitude decay times on some of the instruments. Once I get that squared away I'm going to post the new version!