VOGONS

First post, by FingerSoup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is the Windows driver on-par with the dosbox driver?

I can't seem to get the sound in my sierra games to work properly, using the windows drivers, but the Dosbox driver sounds really good (pitch-wise)... Any ideas?

As well, the latest dosbox release is clipping a LOT with my Sound card, sepecially with SQ3... I have recorded a sample of this... Let me know if you want it, and how i can get it to you...

Reply 1 of 2, by Ictoagh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From what I know, the windows driver is currently quite a ways behind. I've noticed crackles and pops as well-- what usually helps is to do a few ctrl-f11's to slow the emulation a bit, this can sometimes stop the skipping. It's more to do with the emu (keep in mind, DOSBox Emulates EVERYTHING, even the processor...) not keeping up with the sound buffer. I also have my buffer expended to the highest it will let me, but it does cause lag.

Reply 2 of 2, by FingerSoup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problems I'm having with the widdows driver, is that the volume is WAY too low on everything but the drums, and most instruments don't sound right (except percussion). I can also record this, but, as I have just noticed, when I record stereo mix from my sound card, it introduces static that isn't audible from playing "live"...

As for the dosbox version, it is definetly clipping hard... what I record in parts looks like a solid block in Audacity... the amplitude of the wavs are too much for my sound card. (btw it's an NVidia NForce2 Chipset, so it's a pretty good sound card)