VST - Showing Patch Names vs numbers

General information and assistance with Munt.

VST - Showing Patch Names vs numbers

Postby Awats » 2019-9-10 @ 19:37

Is there a way to get the MT32 VST to pass the patch names to the DAW rather than just the patch number? Otherwise I have to watch the VST window as I change it in the DAW.

I suspect I know why it won't but figured I would ask. According to a couple of DAW companies they only display what is passed to it from the VST.

Awats
Awats

Re: VST - Showing Patch Names vs numbers

Postby Falcosoft » 2019-9-10 @ 20:10

Awats wrote:Is there a way to get the MT32 VST to pass the patch names to the DAW rather than just the patch number? Otherwise I have to watch the VST window as I change it in the DAW.

I suspect I know why it won't but figured I would ask. According to a couple of DAW companies they only display what is passed to it from the VST.

Awats

Munt VSTi supports MidiProgramNames feature set (getMidiProgramName, getCurrentMidiProgram functions) to send program names to hosts. But the host also has to support this mechanism. This is the only standard mechanism defined by VST 2.4 specification for sending program names to hosts. Unfortunately very few host supports this. The only one known by me is Cubase:
MuntVSTi_Cubase.jpg

By the way Munt VSTi has its dedicated topic here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=48207
Falcosoft
Oldbie

Postby Awats » 2019-9-10 @ 20:35

Geez, thanks for the fast reply! I will pass this on to them (and post in the right forum going forward.) :)
Awats

Postby MusicallyInspired » 2019-9-24 @ 20:50

I wrote a program that took the instrument patch names from an MT-32 SysEx file and created an INS file that Cakewalk can use for instrument names for MIDI instruments. I don't know if INS files work with other DAWs or not...
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, Hocus Pocus, Descent, and more.
Latest release: Heretic Music Pack (12/12/18)
MusicallyInspired
Oldbie

Return to MT-32 General